Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

8 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Here's mine - a proper frac! It's a TS F6 triplet APO :) Mounted on the heq5 with belt mod and OO pedestal. Camera is a qhy Minicam5s mono. That's an ankle weight counterbalance taped to the front - not pretty but it does the job. 50mm finder guider bolted via pipe clips - similarly, does the job! In the background is the window I image through though not done any imaging with it recently cos of the weather. New Moon coming up - along with Storm Barbara - tut! :( Anyway, on the bright side, it's a lovely scope :)

TS-APO.jpg

Merry Christmas SGL!

Louise

Lovely looking setup Louise :) 

8 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Thanks Derek , Ian  , I can't wait to get a look but as usual new scope clouds and rain but I'm sure it will be worth the wait  no matter how long ???

I've just checked the long term forecast. Apparently there is a clear night expected over Cambridge just after Christmas 2017 :lol:

4 hours ago, nightfisher said:

@ Chris lock........did you get first light with the XLT yet

First clear night is tonight which is typical because I've only just got in from work. 2 out of 3 kids are still awake, so once they've past out and have been put in their cots I'll see what the state of play is, fingers crossed :)

• Like 3

On 22/12/2016 at 05:29, nightfisher said:

I have to admit i would have liked this scope, it looks really nice but i did not want the flak for steering away from the 120 i am being told i need

any way in the spirit of this thread, here is my frac and my only scope, there seems to be something missing as i dont see how it fits onto a mount, there must be a vital part that goes between the scope and the AZ4

That granite mount looks good and solid.

All being well on Wednesday i will be posting a pic of the skywatcher Evostar 120 ED pro, i have listened to the good people on these forums that have put up with my insane dribblings and for once i have taken the advice, this will be my only scope so over the years i hope to build an affinity with it, get to enjoy it and let it reward with crisp views and more than satisfactory Luna imaging 

• Like 10

On 12/22/2016 at 12:12, Thalestris24 said:

Here's mine - a proper frac! It's a TS F6 triplet APO :) Mounted on the heq5 with belt mod and OO pedestal. Camera is a qhy Minicam5s mono. That's an ankle weight counterbalance taped to the front - not pretty but it does the job. 50mm finder guider bolted via pipe clips - similarly, does the job! In the background is the window I image through though not done any imaging with it recently cos of the weather. New Moon coming up - along with Storm Barbara - tut! :( Anyway, on the bright side, it's a lovely scope :)

TS-APO.jpg

Merry Christmas SGL!

Louise

You deserve a medal for this. Making the most out of the smallest area of sky medal. Persistence in the face of challenges medal. Seeing opportunity when others see nothing medal, and so on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MattJenko said:

You deserve a medal for this. Making the most out of the smallest area of sky medal. Persistence in the face of challenges medal. Seeing opportunity when others see nothing medal, and so on.

He he I almost wish I'd never started... Maybe I'll get lucky one day and have the chance to move to somewhere better

The scopes are multiplying, i have just received a rather nice and completely unexpected gift from my good lady, this Brass alt az refractor, optics look clear and it has a lovely helical focuser, will this be my travel/ grab and go scope

Brass scope.JPG

• Like 11

On 23/12/2016 at 23:43, nightfisher said:

All being well on Wednesday i will be posting a pic of the skywatcher Evostar 120 ED pro, i have listened to the good people on these forums that have put up with my insane dribblings and for once i have taken the advice, this will be my only scope so over the years i hope to build an affinity with it, get to enjoy it and let it reward with crisp views and more than satisfactory Luna imaging 

Great stuff Jules. I really hope you like it. Give it time and don't jump to any conclusions which may be seeing related.

I've also heard that the SW diagonals supplied as standard can be variable in quality so check this vs your current diagonal if unsure (hope you still have one??)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

The scopes are multiplying, i have just received a rather nice and completely unexpected gift from my good lady, this Brass alt az refractor, optics look clear and it has a lovely helical focuser, will this be my travel/ grab and go scope

Brass scope.JPG

That is simply excellent.

:happy11:

15 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Brass scope.JPG

Lovely! What a kind thought. Nice to have on display in the house too ?

21 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Brass scope.JPG

Cool ?. Is it 0.965 or 1.25" ?

No astro goodies for me, although I did buy myself another scope just before Christmas that nobody needs to know about ?

• Like 1

Some Mighty Fine Instruments on show in this thread. I know this is exclusively Refractors on display,
 But The forum as a whole is blessed with a huge array of Optical Quality of all Types, Sizes, and Brands,
from the modest Reflector and  Refractor, to the  higher ranges of both, with their Exotic Objectives.
Together with the supporting equipment that makes it possible to achieve what the owners strive for, it make a mind
boggling display to behold.   More Importantly, I feel the sense of pride that comes out from each one
posted, and rightly so. 
Very rewarding thread this is. Enjoyed the Images and the comments.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great stuff Jules. I really hope you like it. Give it time and don't jump to any conclusions which may be seeing related.

I've also heard that the SW diagonals supplied as standard can be variable in quality so check this vs your current diagonal if unsure (hope you still have one??)

Slowly does it, it comes with skywatcher 2" dialectric that looks nice  (maybe re branded WO) but i have a rather nice 2" dialecric so will try both and sell the loser, the weather looks hopeful for first light when i get home, i have even raided the piggybank and relieved the contents toward the fuel.

As said on other thread, if i dont like it were would i go from here, but the answer stays the same, no where, this is my last telescope purchase short of a big lotto win, so this will be a keeper  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Lovely looking scope Jules. Having recently acquired a SW 120 ED I am sure you will be pleased with yours come Wednesday.

You kept that one quiet John. Great scope, glad you are enjoying it.

• Like 2