Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

7 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Ooh Knighty is that a 200P and if so is that an ST120 to the left of it? Been trying to work out the difference in scale of these two today!

Yes, it is a SW 200P-DS which apart from the focuser is the same as the 200P. That is indeed the ST120 to the left of it too. :) 

Edited by Knighty2112

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Yes, it is a SW 200P-DS which apart from the focuser is the same as the 200P. That is indeed the ST120 to the left of it too. :) 

Thanks, I'm considering a 200P to go an the AYO with the ST120, it looks quite a lot larger than I'd imagined

• Like 1

Just now, parallaxerr said:

Thanks, I'm considering a 200P to go an the AYO with the ST120, it looks quite a lot larger than I'd imagined

Yes, it is bigger than I thought it would be too, but a very nice scope as long as you have a good mount to support it. Only got it off ABS a few weeks back so not had a chance to do a lot with it due to the weather, but what views I have seen with it are very impressive. :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Here a couple of images with both scopes on my Skytee II mount to give you a better idea of scale together on a mount. :) 

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Here a couple of images with both scopes on my Skytee II mount to give you a better idea of scale together on a mount. :) 

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

Houston we have a problem...........some one has snuck a newt into a refractor thread...........how should we deal with this infidel :grin:

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Houston we have a problem...........some one has snuck a newt into a refractor thread...........how should we deal with this infidel :grin:

Uh oh! I see a crowd coming up the road with pitch forks and torches, and shouting something about burning someone! Yikes! ;) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm fairly unusual in having only bought one thing of @DRT - it was an EQ5 tripod to replace the standard EQ3 one. You can much improve the EQ3 by clamps at the top of the sliding sections (and keeping it as low as possible) but the EQ5 does make life easier.

I have it set low as possible :) , I'm guiding it atm on the Cone nebula, Great stuff, I'm not use to keeping all my sub's

I will replace the tripod at some point.

Cheers

Nige.

20 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

My frac's seem to be breeding. And there is a newt and a Mak in there too so sorry! ;)

IMG_2146.JPG

That's a cracking collection you got there but I can't help but beg the question why ?? For the best part there is only 20 mm aperture difference between most the fraks and the OTA sizes are very similar also :confused3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

That's a cracking collection you got there but I can't help but beg the question why ?? For the best part there is only 20 mm aperture difference between most the fraks and the OTA sizes are very similar also :confused3:

Well, the ST120 was the first frac I bought new. The next was the smaller Saxon 705, but I bought that really for the AZ3 mount it came with really as the full scope and mount was on offer new for a ridiculous offer that was under half the price of a new AZ3 mount anyway, so it was a no brainier really, plus I don't use that OTA at all I just use the mount. The next scope I bought new was the Altair Astro Starwave 102mm f11 for better lunar and planetary views than with the ST120. The Celestron 120mm Omni OTA was bought second hand off here, and the plan is (eventually) to evaluate the best views between the ST120 and the Omni with the plan to sell one of them off. The ST80 ED DS-Pro was again bought 2nd hand (ABS) for a great price and I use that on the Skywatcher Stardiscovery AZ Goto mount simply for the lightness of the OTA and the better quality optics. The Celestron 4SE Mak I bought of Chris Lock on here so as to be able to use my binoviewers without using any Barlow to focus them like I need to in the other scopes, plus I plan eventually to maybe keep the 4SE in my car when I am away for use if I get any clear skies whilst away for work in the U.K.. And the big you know what scope which we can't talk about is just a glorified finder!

Convaluted a little bit, but the plan is to eventually slim down two or more scopes out of the collection. Only trouble is I need to get some clear nights to be able to evaluate between them! ;) 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 3