Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up ! Triple transit event. January 2015.

cotterless45

Check out the early morning of the 24 th of January. Triple shadow transit, the next one due 20th March 2032. Times in UT.

Culminates....01.30 , GRS visible but goes at 02.00

03.11 Callisto shadow

04.35 Io shadow,with three shadows visible.

04.55 Io crosses.

Callisto joins in at 06.16, with the triple event kicking off at 06.28.

Hopefully it'll be perfect skies. I'll be looking out, just spotted Saturn rising in the east . Lots to see , hurrah !

Nick.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

An event that would be well worth the effort to witness, thanks for the reminder. I have a horrible feeling that the weather here might have other ideas, though time yet for a forecast change to better circumstances.

If the clouds play game this will also be a good opportunity for newcomers to enjoy a spectacular and rare event.

Of all the planets, Jupiter will show the greatest amount of detail and is relatively easy to observe with any size telescope from just about any site, even in the city.

Whilst observing Jupiter, it is nice to remind ourselves that it is some 143,000 km in diameter, over ten times bigger than Earth and about 655,000,000 km away from us. We can also imagine Jupiter as a solar system in miniature and that the play of Galilean Moons as they orbit the gas giant are - to an extent - analogous to our own planets orbiting the Sun.  

If out, it's best to start by identifying the four moons first. The brightest ought to be Ganymede, followed by Callisto. It's quite tricky to identify which one is Io and Europa due to their similar size, so you may need a little help from some astronomy software program.

It's a good idea to identify the two major belts, and any minor belts and after that, if possible, festoons, tiny ovals and other atmospheric disturbances. You'll have to be out earlier, as Nick suggests, to observe The Great Red Spot. As BigMakStutov writes, it might even be possible for many to discern Callisto's transit.

When the moon's pass over Jupiter's surface they will cast shadows like tiny black bullet holes and each shadow should take about an hour to cross the planet.

If you're not imaging, it might be a nice idea to sketch what you see - even if the conditions aren't brilliant. This will not only slow you down to capture more detail and give you something to do while observing but will also be a nice record of the event. We could even set up a thread to highlight some of our results tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great night/early morning :grin:

It's our anniversary tomorrow so if I can get up early to make coffee and breakfast :wink:  I will be in the good books.

It's going to be after 7am here and low in the sky, I'm not holding out for spectacular results.

Looks wonderful in the Gas Giants app simulation. At about 5.50 Io's shadow catches up with Callisto's and they are very close then Io's overtakes it as Europa's shadow joins the party. AND Io and Callisto themselves are also transiting at the same time - wow!

Archived