Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up ! Triple transit event. January 2015.

cotterless45

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I set the alarm for 5.30am and was surprised to see glorious clear skies.  Set the scope up and found that the seeing was abysmal, although I think my footage was better than what they showed on Sky News.  I definitely was able to see all three shadows visually, every now and then.  I recorded some video which I am uploading to youtube at the moment, will update with a link later.  But here is my first attempt at a registrax processed image.  I do think you can see two shadows, and maybe the third, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.  Makes me realize that I need to get some more of Jupiter when the seeing is better and get some more practice with Registrax.

post-33344-0-44672100-1422092903.png

I started observing just after 4am with Callisto's shadow already on the surface. I used my 180mm Mak/Cass, binoviewers, 25mm and 15mm plossls. In addition I had a 5 place filter slide having - clear, baader neodymium, yellow-green (11), blue and green.

The initial view was very clear and sharp with the belts nicely defined. Io's shadow came onto the surface about 4.40am and I watched it chase the Callisto shadow. At about 5.45am the two shadows appeared on top of each other and I could see Io very clearly against Jupiter's surface.

Throughout this period I changed the different filters and in my view the best was with the Baader Neodymium filter followed by no filter and then the blue filter.

After 6am I could just make out Io's shadow - Callisto's shadow in the middle - Io itself on the right. (this is the view of a Mak/Cass with diagonal)

Following this the view started to deteriorate and it was difficult to get a sharp image. I watched Callisto touching the edge but could not see it against the surface once the transit had started.

Despite my best efforts - changing eyepieces, using different filters I could not make out the shadow of Europa and finally gave up just after 7am.

Nice observing session with the occasional look around the sky with the 20x80 binos.

I reckon that's 3 here. Just took the R(I think, could be L) for this, still going through every thing though.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

You can see how much the seeing dropped from the time I started as this was my first R

attachicon.gif1stR.jpg

071ad5c8a69eafba3123aedd7edf1968.jpg

Just played around with this a bit. I reckon from top left to bottom right you have got:

Shadow (?)

Io and shadow

Callisto

Shadow (Europa)

So pretty sure on the left side we see Callisto itself, along with a shadow just down and to the left of that?  Then on the right I think I actually got Io itself mixed up with its shadow, then on the very left edge maybe a dark feature that is the third shadow.  I didn't note the exact time I took the video, so the simulation above I think is from a little earlier in the event.  The view below is more accurate to the moment these photos were actually taken.

post-33344-0-15595400-1422093748.png

So, it's a fair assumption that anyone who saw 3 'shadows', actually got 2 plus Callisto. If you got 4, then it was the triple shadow transit plus Callisto. Does that sound right?

Yes, think you're right. I had four objects in the eyepiece, with Io just off the edge

Barry

071ad5c8a69eafba3123aedd7edf1968.jpg

Just played around with this a bit. I reckon from top left to bottom right you have got:

Shadow (?)

Io and shadow

Callisto

Shadow (Europa)

It should be all there, even Europa is just off the disc as well.

That is quite an ensemble, shame about the seeing. Using 1.5 drizzle didn't help things either.

It should be all there, even Europa is just off the disc as well.

That is quite an ensemble, shame about the seeing. Using 1.5 drizzle didn't help things either.

Agreed, I reckon I can pick it all out in the image, tricky but its all visible

Watched from about 5.30 to just after 7.00 and was very disappointed, saw fleeting shadows. I found it very difficult to focus, most of the time the disc had a distinctly fuzzy outline. Unfortunately I had to set up in the front of my property and was observing right over the property opposite and an orange street lamp.

I have definitely seen better transits when viewing from the back of my property.

When I was out I couldn't help thinking of all the other SGLers who would be looking at the self same object, thinking and wondering how they were getting on.

Set the 14" scope up at about 3.30am, quite breezy but helped with rapid cooling. Initially seemed to be an occulation happening between Callisto and Io? It was good to watch this phenomena in motion as the moons edged closer and X115 gave good sharp contrasting view. Managed to see Callisto shadow and moon and much later Io shadow, though prior to third transit like many others, the view went very mushy and descending close to neighbours roof tops gave up around 6.15am. 

I got some data but it was very windy here and I doubt its usable.  Gave up trying to image at 05:30 due to scope wobble.  Put laptop and scope away got out eyepieces, watched for 5 minutes and sleet shower ended my night.  Also tried to thaw out my feet on my sleeping wife's back. I now need a good lawyer.  Perfect end to a perfect night.

I got some data but it was very windy here and I doubt its usable.  Gave up trying to image at 05:30 due to scope wobble.  Put laptop and scope away got out eyepieces, watched for 5 minutes and sleet shower ended my night.  Also tried to thaw out my feet on my sleeping wife's back. I now need a good lawyer.  Perfect end to a perfect night.

I was given a stern warning "Don't think you're coming back to bed to warm up on me."  :eek:

Fantastic seeing at 4am... Viewing lots of galaxies and Saturn before the actual event at 6:26. Optics were starting to dew up and freeze, but the seeing was pants by this point. I could make out 2 shadows (just) but conditions and a frozen scope it didn't get any better than that. Saturn was spectacular to see though!

tried to thaw out my feet on my sleeping wife's back.

I was given a stern warning "Don't think you're coming back to bed to warm up on me."  :eek:

I think the marriage vows need to be updated to include something about freezing feet entering the bed after midnight :lol:

If I'm out late I tend to avoid the problem by crashing on the couch.

Also tried to thaw out my feet on my sleeping wife's back. .

Lol. We're all a bit crazy being out at that hour, but that's just reckless. I'd be wearing my scope around my neck if I tried that. I'll be laughing at that for a good day or so.....

Barry

Nice work, and pretty much as I noted it. I couldn't make out Io unfortunately - just the two shadows - and the Seeing really nose dived at about 05:40, so I only got to vaguely watch Callisto and Europa disappear.

Worth getting up for though :-))

James

Archived