Narrowband

Heads up ! Triple transit event. January 2015.

cotterless45

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloudy here in Suffolk but a chance it will clear up by 6am, in time for the triple transit.  Might set my alarm for an early rise, 17 years until the next one after all!  Quadruple transit is not possible, Ganymede will just not play ball, triples are only possible when the orbital plane of Jupiter is tilted towards, so that Callisto comes into line.

Weather check: Very good,  scopes up,  alarm is set.  I would kick myself for a long time if neglected the opportunity to see this. 

Clutch a cup of tea, hunch in and watch the show from earth. Tickets are free :) Next showing (weather permitting) will be 2032 folks.

I am excited about this.  I hope you all manage to get up early and wish you all the best weather too.

Enjoy the show !

The forecast still looks okay for Hereford. The SkyTee mount is set up outside under its cover. I am going to use my 180mm Mak/Cass plus binoviewers. Last week I bought a filter slide and i will try it for the transit - one clear slot and the rest - baader neodymium, yellow-green, green and blue. It will be quick to determine the different views or whether to stay with the clear slot.

So I hope everyone enjoys the show - must set the alarm :smiley:

It will be a lot longer than that. 2032 will not be visible from the UK.

Blimey when is the next one from the UK ? I just thought, I could be dead for the next one so getting up for that one may be a little more difficult than getting out of bed tomorrow. 

It will be a lot longer than that. 2032 will not be visible from the UK.

Not sure this is correct.  Looking at the BAA data there's another on 20th May this year, visible from the UK.  Then 2021 and 2025 are not, but 11 Dec 2026 should be.  There are four triple transits in 2032, one of which should be visible from the UK, then one of two in 2037 and two of three in 2038.  I shall be 70 in 2037, assuming I make it that far.  Perhaps it'll be one of those things for the "bucket list" :)

They could hardly be described as common events, but they're nowhere near as rare as, say, transits of Venus, which they'll need to be resurrecting me for next time around.

James

Oh, whilst I think of it, I believe the times Nick has posted are "actual" times (can you confirm, Nick?).  Remember there will be a delay of about 30 minutes for light to reach us from Jupiter because, not entirely unlike myself, it's a bit slow first thing in the morning.

James

Not sure this is correct.  Looking at the BAA data there's another on 20th May this year, visible from the UK.  Then 2021 and 2025 are not, but 11 Dec 2026 should be.  There are four triple transits in 2032, one of which should be visible from the UK, then one of two in 2037 and two of three in 2038.  I shall be 70 in 2037, assuming I make it that far.  Perhaps it'll be one of those things for the "bucket list" :)

They could hardly be described as common events, but they're nowhere near as rare as, say, transits of Venus, which they'll need to be resurrecting me for next time around.

James

Yes I am correct. Not all of those are triple SHADOW transits, and the ones that are, are not visible from the UK. See link in my SGL calendar post: http://stargazerslounge.com/calendar/event/1000-triple-shadow-transit-of-jupiter/

Mine and Nick's times are UT.

It's clear down here in Devon :) Whilst there's a bank of cloud squarely in my wide field image Jupiter onthe other side of the sky is in the clear.

I can clearly see one shadow and am waiting to see if I can see others as they cross Jupiter :)

James

Clear tonight down here in Valencia. Transit well under way. Also been flitting between galaxies in Leo, Virgo, Ursa Major. Don't know how some of you guys do it. It's about 0ºC and feels a lot colder. Just come in for a warm cuppa and some jaffas before heading out for the ultimate finale  :smiley: 

Archived