SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up ! Triple transit event. January 2015.

cotterless45

:cool: Well I am freezing despite it being quite mild out  ....so indoors for me ......I am so pleased to have caught the transit, most impressive sight

Time to switch back to my twin solar setup as it is looking pretty clear, I can see daylight popping up over the horizon :-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was damn difficult. Loaded with coffee I was getting brief glimpses, it was almost like I was playing with the focusing knob when I was not. Very frustrating. As I went out all seemed clear but then through the telescope things were somewhat different. I stayed with 125x most of the time. I *might* have fleetingly saw all three shadows - it was one of those; did I see it or think I saw it moments because I knew where to look. Most of the time I saw two.  Probably my hardest session.

After getting up late (5.30am) and shivering for an hour I managed to see all three, but only for few minutes before seeing gave up and Jupiter hitting the top of the fence. Glad I saw it though.... Now for coffee, bacon and eggs...

Now and again could just make out two of the three - tiny dot, and bigger tiny dot - but never the third. Focus? What focus... Shaky, vague image. Started with frac, then in desparation switched to 8" sct, hoping that would be better, but nah, seeing was even worse with that - thin clouds had started rolling in. I have a few snaps of an amorphous grey blob, but will be deleting the lot! Hey ho... After the delight of Lovejoy over the last week or two, this morning was a wee bit disappointing. Tonight's forecast looks better though - ever hopeful!

Cheers

Simon

I thought I could see all three but now suspect one was a barge as it seemed to be in the northern belt

Moonshane

It wasn't by chance, Callisto itself, as I initially thought it was a shadow until I spotted the last moon slightly above it between the belts? It was in the south in the Dob, so the northern belt, with the shadow just up and to the right of Callisto. Maybe

Barry

Blooming awful, I want a refund or a Euromillions win !

Got up at 2.30, set up, then thick clouds. This was followed by a couple of rain showers, then high wind. All eventually settled, with every cloud heading over Jupiter.the best that I got was two shadows and one moon just entering the scene. I just couldn't be asked to grab and go with a frac.

I moved to the front garden to avoid heat from houses , but the seeing just wibbled, wobbled and jellified. It always seems to do this over the concrete works, hurrah.

Hope that some of you were successful , here's to opposition and

Clear skies !

Nick.

Moonshane

It wasn't by chance, Callisto itself, as I initially thought it was a shadow until I spotted the last moon slightly above it between the belts? It was in the south in the Dob, so the northern belt, with the shadow just up and to the right of Callisto. Maybe

Barry

I'm sure you are right there Barry.

In common with everyone else, the seeing was hideous here by the time of the third shadow transit. Using my 106mm triplet I had some nice views of the two shadows to start, but no chance of the third. I reckon I just about caught Callisto transiting, looking like a third shadow but it was in the Notthern belt and was too large so must have been Callisto.

Shame about the conditions (CA in an Apo is depressing!) but glad I made the effort. Nice views of M51, 81/82 and Leo triplet whilst waiting for the main event

Well done those that saw it, despite the wobbliness. I completely messes up the timings on this, thinking (but not checking) that it was overnight tonight. Heh ho. At least tonight looks clear. Thanks for sketches those that posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:laugh: I wasn't sure at first.... but I can see the same as the feed when I just checked ...all 3 moons here, only 2 shadows at the mo

...and to think I will probably be on my last legs the next time this event occurs...

Were you able to see the moons as they were transiting, Shaun? Other than Callisto I've always found that pretty tough except when they are near the limb. Was struggling to use more than x120 tonight, shame.

I reckon that's 3 here. Just took the R(I think, could be L) for this, still going through every thing though.

post-8383-0-49096700-1422087917.jpg

You can see how much the seeing dropped from the time I started as this was my first R

post-8383-0-90897800-1422087899.jpg

You may be right, it's hard to tell though. No way could I see anything on screen so this has just come out with sharpening.

I'm going to have a break now as I have lost my place with my avi's. :D

Well its been quite an eventful couple of weeks for us,

• All seven planets in 24 hours
  • Comet Lovejoy
  • Triple transit of Jupiter
  • Some wonderful proms on the Sun
  • Some wonderful clear night skies
  • Quark in the post :-)

Even though times can get a bit frustrating with our weather in the UK, I really do love this hobby...long may it continue

Well its been quite an eventful couple of weeks for us,

• All seven planets in 24 hours
  • Comet Lovejoy
  • Triple transit of Jupiter
  • Some wonderful proms on the Sun
  • Some wonderful clear night skies
  • Quark in the post :-)

Even though times can get a bit frustrating with our weather in the UK, I really do love this hobby...long may it continue

And next up; asteroid hunting on Monday night. :)

I'm gutted. I went out last night at around midnight and found an unexpectedly clear sky. Got the bins and the 150 Newt out to take a look at Lovejoy and couldn't find it as it had dropped below the line of the neighbour's roof. I then had a quick look around and had a great clear view of Jupiter through the Newt and noticed three moons in a line all very close together. I had no idea they were all about to create the triple-transit. :confused:

Forecast looks good for tonight :smile:

Archived