Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up ! Triple transit event. January 2015.

cotterless45

Glad to see plenty of people caught it.

I got up at 4am quick rough polar align, check collimation and all good to go. The seeing was fine up till around 5:30 but gradually got worse and worse rfom then on. It didnt spoil the views to much intially, but by the arrival of the third shadow it was pretty bad. At least it was clear though!

Managed to get an eyepiece stuck in my coat pocket at around 4:30, like something from an Ealing comedy i had to rip the zip open to retrieve it :grin:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end the experience of Jupiter effectively 'laid me up' for a good 24hrs :embarrassed:

I spent the evening/morning out and at some point, a chill must have entered my body. From about 11am yesterday morning to now, I've been in bed shivering, coughing, sweating, snuffling. It's a shame for the skies have been amazing this weekend.

I think this was a gentle reminder that I'm no longer a spring chicken :smiley:

rather tired yesterday .

I have about 19 gig of data that has been pipped and run through AS2 now I am struggling to remember how I did the rgb combines with the IR as L.

I should have had a practice run or 2 beforehand

I think I need another lie down

Er.....was it making your eyes water ? In exasperation !

It's so very odd, from our back garden we get wonderful detailed views. Some nights pushed up to x240. Then in the early hours when it's been just as high , but heading westward, the seeing has gone to jelly.

I always thought it was the houses and the cement factory. I moved to set up out front. Just the same and was quite surprised to find wobbling elsewhere.

There was a brief video on Sky News from an observatory in the USA very similar to Ibbo's. They blamed. It on on high wind ,upper air.

Hope it settles before opposition, hurrah !

I had set up the 80mm Onyx retractor as well as the 12" dob on the footpath at the back of the house. Using my binoviewers with the 20mm eyepieces, 1.6x nosepiece and 2x TV barlow; or the hyperion zoom ep with 2.25x screw on Barlow.

Waiting for the dob to adjust the temperature, I was looking through the 80mm at about 110x with the binoviewer and really enjoying the slow play of the three moons moving closer, easily enough spotting Callisto's shadow at first. The dob images were mushy with air currents across the mirror - I must implement some fans..

When Io's shadow came on board it was noticeably sharper than Callisto's. Then when the two shadows merged it was pretty cool to see Io itself as a very dark little disk against the white equatorial belt. I was very very tired at this stage and beginning to get really cold, then the seeing dissolved from moderately bad to really terrible!

When I could see Jupiter twinkling I knew I was just about done. But, before I packed in I thought I'd do a little hunting to the east before that river of bad air got there, and I went sweeping with the binoviewer in the dob to see the Ring nebula, somewhere at about 250x - it looked huge in the eyepiece. Was easy to see detail in the ring as it zoomed across my FOV.

Packed in and went to sleep before the third shadow came on board.. Just couldn't function well at that stage!

Glad to see what I did, it seems I had better seeing for once than most, at least until it deteriorated so badly. Seeing was terrible, but to be able to compare the two scopes for detail available, the 12" won out every time once it had thermally stabilised.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Archived