Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is your "someday" scope?

I was inspired to start this by Damo's thread. So what scope do you dream about owning one day? Im not talking about it in the way most people think about ferraris - ie nice but outside the realm of possibility. I'm talking about something that it's not inconceivable, someday...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent question.

Thought I was going to get an ED APO widefield refractor, but now want something to see the planets with so hunting for a 5 SE - was down in Croyde last week, but FLO had none in stock...

The Obsessions look the biz, but I'd need a MPV to carry it all in!

I've got mine with the OO 10" 4.8, I love it and it does enough for me..

If clear skies and good viewing was a frequent thing I would probably have a dream for a 20" dob but that is a big all round dream :). At some point I would like to get a nice 100mm apo for planets and doubles..:rolleyes:

If I could put anything on my wish list it would just be more clear skies.

I have three things on my long term list. Lunt 60THa-B1200, Lightbridge 16" Dob, and Atik 4000 Mono. Probably in that order.

Next short term significant purchase is either the Lunt or an Atik 314L+. Every sunny day I think I'm going to get the Lunt first, every dark night I change my mind :)

The sensible plan is a PST, then the 314L+, then upgrade both later but I just don't know :rolleyes:

I think for me it has to be the Vixen NA 140 SSF Flat Field Refractor, I keep drooling over this, and maybe sooner than later i might just pull the trigger on one, but not till me and my good lady buy a property together, so i can use it from home

I already have my 200p, which is about as large as i'd go with a dob really.

I'd very much like a good solar scope, a lunt is out of the question, maybe a solarmax, but most likely will end up being a pst.

Not too high on my list is a decent planetary scope too, though i'm undecided between a slow refractor for the unobstructed contrast, or a 127 mak for the size.

I already have my 200p, which is about as large as i'd go with a dob really.

I'd very much like a good solar scope, a lunt is out of the question, maybe a solarmax, but most likely will end up being a pst.

Not too high on my list is a decent planetary scope too, though i'm undecided between a slow refractor for the unobstructed contrast, or a 127 mak for the size.

A 127 Mak won't even come close to the views you get with your 200P Dob.

at the moment id love a nice solar scope, realistically a pst is about as much as i'd spend... and that wont be for a while.. unless my numbers come up on tonights loto

The sensible plan is a PST, then the 314L+, then upgrade both later but I just don't know :(

Gah! Who needs sensible plans? What this world needs is more non-sensible plans! :D. Go with the Lunt, you know you want to :). I know it's what I want to do! :)

I've always wanted a top flight larger aperture apochromat refractor as well. The Vixen ED150 F/9 was my dream scope for a while but there are only a half dozen in the UK I believe so I'm not holding my breath on one of those coming up. Olly Penrice's descriptions of the views through his TEC 140 don't help dissuade me from this goal either :D

I've a cunning plan afoot that might produce something not too far removed from the above in due course though :)

I have my eyes set on a Takahashi 106 and a Planewave CDK-17. Yes, they are expensive, but it is the next steps up from my FLT-98 and Edge 9.25. I'll get them eventually - once I set my mind on something it usually happens...:D

/per

Intes Alter M703 (DeLuxe) 7" / F10 1/8 wave Maksutov. :)

Throw in a few focal reducers for video astronomy.

I'd even be tempted by an 8"/f10 Russian MAK...

It can have it's own luxury, chilled, cat-box. :)

An Orion Dall-Kirkham 10" / F6.8 ... and a bigger mount? :D

The 8" Cooke Refractor currently residing in the Jeremah Horrocks observatory Preston. I used this scope regularly back in the mid 90's and it was a dream! Now it's just rusting away due to the politics of UCLAN!!

Archived