SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is your "someday" scope?

I think it's also dependent upon what you mean by performance. Any of the following could be deemed as reflecting enhanced performance, yet infer different types of scope and observing styes, hence the difference in 'what's best' between us all. Vive la difference!

- quicker set-up

- greater planetary image scale

- greater planetary detail

- faster cooldown times

- easier collimation / low maintenance

- sharper star points

- greater light gathering

- works well with cheap eyepieces

Personally, I share your own views about reflector / newts but many don't of course.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really knowing that much about the Rolls Royce of scopes I would have to be a bit predictable and go for a large Celestron SCT on a goto mount i'm afraid. One of the new HD ones or something of that ilk.....

I'm sure it was not. You simply told us about the scope you would aspire to own, should circumstances someday allow it.

Some other posters could not understand or did not agree with your preference and for some reason decided to question it :)

I thought the resaons were quite clear ? they may be misguided reasons agreed, but clear nonethless. There certainly is a lot of misunderstanding on these questions, i can see that from some of the replys on here and was generally responding to them. Some that would be considering getting scopes that for all intents and purposes are likely going to give less performance than the one they currently have ? When a poster says i will get a frac for planets. I think the word performance is self explained ?

The reason i see this happening is the myths that get created about apo refractors being better on planets. Maks too. Yes of course A 6" Tak will outdo a 6" Newt. but when someone says they want a 4" frac for planets when they already own a large reflector that will outperform such said frac on planets. Clearly this myth is not being discussed enough, because if it was, i dont think less experianced amatures would be making these mistakes. Problem is are we too assume some never make these mistakes, and could quite easily then say well it cools down faster lol. changing the playing feilds. There was one comment about a 127" Mak for planets when they own a 8" reflector. If everyone wants to defend misunderstandings by pulling out other reasons for purchasing these scopes, then theres little point in bothering on my part. To those who i may have got that wrong on fair dos. But to others its good to learn. I thought more information was better not worse ?

Often costly to there pockects ? I suppose one could say its there money to waste, let them waste it, i just thought my experiance might help prevent some wasting there money. Only to sell it on because it didnt quite do what the hype said it might ?

So again the quest for maksutovs and fracs for planets is one reason i think i assumed ( wrongly probably ) that all who want these types of instruments belive they are superiour on planets,

After listening more. ( which probably we should all do from time to time )

I now think only some are thinking that. And i guess my comments are more to do with those types of misunderstandings if i made more sense this time around

I think a sticky on the myths of planetary scopes is a good idea, as it would certainly prevent my misunderstandings ( and others like Micheal ) on these questions which i fully agree its hard sometimes to tell ? for those that i have misunderstood apologies. Its the just way it comes across because maybe people are not clear on there reasons, only stating a frac for planets for example phew

Well as this thread is entitled "someday" scope I guess someday they might make a scope that:

Has the light collecting aperture of a 20" Dob

Has the F2 speed of a supernewt

Has the sharp quality optics and focul length of a large APO

And is compact and transportable like a SC.

Oh and maybe light enough to be mounted on a Astrotrac on a camera tripod, and all for £300 :)

Hmmm let me phone FLO and see what they have in stock that fits the bill.

Including the mirror I'd guess at least double that, possibly more but you might get away with it if you make it look light rather than lugging it about with a grunt :)

Just the primary mirror is 6.3 kg. I have carried heavier stuff on board (up to 12 kg), and you can often do this for free (if you ask nicely well in advance). The 10" mirror is 4 kg and 8" 1.9kg. The latter should definitely be suitable for hand luggage,

For me it's got to be a home made dob, granted there's some VERY nice gear out there and it is tempting

but just knowing that YOU made something that Newton himself would be proud of keeps my fire burning.

Start off with something small and long say 8" f10 ish then work up to a nice 12" f5 with 9 zones or more included :(

Then a home made yoke mount with the possibility of GOTO (no north!) but I'd be happy with RA tracking.

Admittedly it would be *ahem* wobbly, although you never know till you try. As they say "the stars ain't going nowhere soon" So Time will tell.

Dreams..Dreams I tell ye.

On that note. Paramount with 20" rc :p...and, AND.. the home made dob/Newt.:)

But I think It's more to do with learning all that goes with it,...So yup, that would be my someday scope. :)

Archived