SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Visual observing "vs" Imaging Poll. Which one are you ?

spaceboy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most definately visual only. The less leads the better.

Electronics Engineer and I hate doing anything electrical/computer related outside of work!

Agree with some posts that the skies should be better in the UK:)

Currently sailing across the Southern Pacific and the skies are superb. Makes me cry when I get back the the dusty light polluted northern hemisphere!

• 4 years later...

I stared as visual but since I have had on going problems with my eyes ( 2 detached retinas in both eyes now) I find that imaging lets me see the target in detail. Once my latest eye problem is sorted i may go visual for a bit just to enjoy the sights as they are but I know imaging is less of a strain.

I am visual only at the moment , haven't even caught the aperture bug yet.

May dabble with a webcam in the future, not so sure of the full on AP money pit tho.

I agree they're not mutually exclusive probably most imagers have some sort of visual equipment as well

99% imaging for me, as it lets me see so much more than I could with the bare eye. The other 1% is sweeping with bins while my subs are coming in.

When I upgrade the HEQ5 for imaging I'll put a 'scope on it for visual while imaging.

When I replied to this thread in 2011 my answer was "I like both. I tend to have periods when I will only image and then periods when it is purely visual"

Now it is 99% imaging, only visual when our club has a public open night.

Even with comet Catalina I imaged it although I did also have a look with my 8x42 bins but not a telescope.

Dave

Both for me too. For observing I prefer to use my eyes and binoculars.  Time and weather permitting I prefer to image rather than observe with my telescopes.  I'm not very keen on standing at the telescope observing.  I don't like the cold to be honest. Bit of a drawback for an astronomer that! :-) Imaging requires me to be active whilst setting everything up. Then I can get snug in my warmish room (the shed) and gather data. 

100% visual at the moment.  One day in the future, with more tme / older kids / home observatory I might dabble in imaging, but I'm not sure I have the patience to be much good.  I sometimes think about getting an all-sky cam and setting up an automated meteor survey, but many other priorities!!

I did get some lovely images of Hale Bopp back in the late 90s.  But I used something called "film".

99% visual but I do occasionally stick my DLSR in the back of a frac to take snaps of the Moon. I have no inclination to do AP seriously - the thought of sitting doing all that processing gives me a headache :bino2:

Visual only at the moment, but I want to start imaging (planetary, lunar solar only).  Planning to buy a  ZWO ASI120M-CS soon.

Don't think I will have the patience (or deep enough pockets) for deep sky imaging; maybe when I am retired in three year's time.

Archived