SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Visual observing "vs" Imaging Poll. Which one are you ?

spaceboy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this life, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.....we I do have a bit of time to stand and stare at the night sky but not to spend hours messing with photoshop....VISUAL for me!

Visual only. I just find a quiet satisfaction in keeping it simple(ish)... tripod, mount, 'scope, EPs.

I don't even have a driven mount. Partly because I have no wish to be beholden to the vagaries of the Spanish electricity grid and don't want to lug around extra kit. Partly so that I'll still be able to use the 'scopes even after the fall of civilization :)

That said, I do admire the stunning results of the dark art of imaging.

I've also got a Max DSLR "just-in-case", mind, I'm taken by the mad urge to bung the 1000D on the end of one of the 'scopes :)

Imaging mostly as it appeals to me on many levels, the technical aspect of it, the process involved and the patience, well I suppose the patience in general for this hobby/way of life.

However when I close my eyes its the objects that I have seen with my naked eye that are ingrained in my brain.

So both really.

I have to say that I am a visual observer. I have played at taking pictures but my only drive to do this is to share what i see with others. I find that when I take pictures,.. it takes the visual experience away from me. I lose myself in the technology and not the simply beauty that surrounds me.

Isabelle

• 5 months later...
VISUAL OBSERVER: 33

STRICTLY IMAGER: 18

BOTH: 17

It's great to see that the old method of actually looking at stars still has its fans but I'm sure that will one day change as the cost of imaging slowly comes down.

After going over to the dark side as a substitute for aperture hunger I'd better change the scores on the doors.

OBSERVER: 32

STRICTLY IMAGER: 18

BOTH: 18

im all new to this but seeing stars planets etc.. seeing with my own eyes through my little scope gives me an amazing feeling, if im looking at a computer screen to see what my telescope is seeing it will take away that wonder of seeing it for real , although i love imaging and seeing all the pics people have captured are amazing and i have spent so much time looking at the finer details captured, i want to do imaging but i will always be observer first ,imager second.

I just started myself so I like looking through my baby small scope myself, but since I already have a DSLR when I go do climbing pics, I purchased a nice little mount for the camera to give it a go...I love looking at the stars but nothing really beats seeing more detail with a long exposure shot done decently right.

Best thing about the mount is I can swing it out of the way to look through the scope and then swing it right back in fron to take a few shots for processing later on.

Archived