Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Visual observing "vs" Imaging Poll. Which one are you ?

spaceboy

Both.

When the imaging scopes are running, I use the 12 inch dob to observe if the mood takes me.

I like to try to visually find the object I'm imaging, without using any computer assistance.

Rob

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoy both but Imaging opens up so much more to "see", so right now I must spend my time..

Imaging 80%

Visual 20%

Good idea Spaced

To get a more accurate total for those who like both can all NEW POSTS please include a percentage. If you like both equally a simple 50/50 will do but if you could pick one over the other in the hope it will make for a more interesting result :)

SPACEBOY

Visual for me - tried the dark side but it did not appeal :)

That's sums it up for me too. Would like to try my hand at sketching one day but never get the time (poor excuse i know).

Update on the scores:

VISUAL OBSERVER: 18

STRICTLY IMAGER: 10

BOTH: 11

Good that we have a nice split of scores and quite a surprise visual is doing so well. I expected it the other way round.

Imaging only for me. Although I have been known to look through the polar scope from time to time. :)

Ant

Perhaps those dark skies may tempt you to try an eyepiece.....guessing probably not though :)

Good that we have a nice split of scores and quite a surprise visual is doing so well. I expected it the other way round.

I though it'd be close. I think peoples perceptions of the split is affected by the fact that imagers generally have a "product" to post on SGL whereas, although the visual guys can write observing reports, I don't think many bother posting up that they've just seen M13 for the 1000th time.:)

What's an eyepiece?

Its one of those things you strip down to make an extension tube for a webcam........

I have binoculars though, and a visual only PST, so now I am confused :)

So far just visually observing, I wouldn't mind being able to take some pictures so I can look back as it were at what I've been looking at or show some other people.

However I don't have a DSLR or particularly good daytime photography skills, and I'm not planning to splash out on a camera.

The big draw for me having see the moon and the orion nebular through a scope on holiday was wow you can really see that kind of thing with your own eyes! So far I've been very pleased to achieve similar views of the moon with a small scope and some great views of Saturn.

At the moment though all I'm looking at is cloud after cloud after cloud I must stop ordering them along with the odds and sods I keep buying.

Tyr

95% imaging for me.

I can loose hours scanning the Moon in the 8" SCT, and the brighter nebula (M42 for instance), but views of DSO stuff doesn't impress me at all, especially when I know how much detail is there to be teased out using the imaging kit. Maybe a proper dark sky area would help, but then I'd be itching to get the 'frac and CCD out.

Visual only for me. I tried imaging but in the end it just became too complicated for me to enjoy as the setup ate into so much of my 'astro time'. Maybe if I had an observatory I would give it a go again.

AL

What is this life, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare........we actually there is a bit of time to look at the sky but not to spend hours messing around with photoshop.......VISUAL!!!!!

Archived