Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just realised....

Helen

6 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I've been here since 2014. I find that the SGL is big in many ways and that its members are noble and enlightened.

That's some buttering up if ever i read it Ruud 😉😄

• Like 1

Oh and I will be 8 (years a member) in November, it all started from the charity auction buy of a celestron 130 EQ, and it's not stopped costing me since, haha

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Oh and I will be 8 (years a member) in November, it all started from the charity auction buy of a celestron 130 EQ, and it's not stopped costing me since, haha

In the last 10 yrs.....I've spent about 15K on astronomy.

• Like 3

Apparently I've only been a member for nine and a half years.  I feel such a baby :)  I had a bit of break a few years back, too -- doing lots of work to the house, work generally and two children in their early teens made for a bit of a handful and ate most of my free time so astronomy became an occasional sneaked naked eye or binocular activity for a while.

James

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gina said:

I hate to think hope much I've spent over the last decade.

You have nearly caught me up in post count Gina - and I've been a member for a 5 years longer than you have !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Proper chatterbox me! 🤣  I think I'm known for "talking the hind leg off a donkey"!!!  May be a sign of loneliness.

I joke I was born with the gift of gab!

Socializing,  it's really a pleasant diversion.

• Like 2

9 years since I joined! It's been really nice to engage in the social aspect of the hobby. I think we all know it can be a bit lonely sometimes outside at 2am in the middle of January (always too cold for the Mrs to come out and join me) 😂 

It's great to able to come on here and share our experiences, knowledge and mistakes with each other. I've received so many useful bits of advice from many of you, to that I thank you all. 

• Like 2

In my 11 years here I've only notched up a little ove 8.5k posts so not very chatty, posting more frequently now the "anybody Playing" thread popped up

I try not to think how much I've spent on astronomy, though I think it's about £450-460k and counting if you include moving hose for a dark site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm.. looks like it's heading towards 10 years since I finally gave up the lurking & had to register as no one was asking the questions I wanted answers to!!.. 🤭 I don't usually like having to stick my head above the parapet but SGL is a safe harbour. I remember, I was very proud when Helen pinned one of my early threads in the DIY Obsys section :).  Congrats Helen, may there be many many more anniversaries to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 years for me to in November , when I first joined I was much more pro UKAI 

(UK Astro Imaging) if anyone remembers that forum ... but it's only really been this 

year that I've woken up to SGL and have gotten to know some of the members which 

is great but what a wealth of knowledge , I've always been humbled and grateful 

from all the help I've received here to date 😀

Brian 

• Like 2

I'm a newcomer here, but I was heavily involved in admin and running societies from the mid 1970s until I stood down from astro society committees in 2006. I am in some music forums as well. This is a good group as it has a blend of experience and knowledge. Having been away from the practical side of astronomy for well over 25 years I've been very grateful for the help and advice I've received thus far... it's cost me a fortune though! (Still a lot less than I've spent on musical instruments though...).

I live on my own too so having somewhere to pop into and have a chat is welcome, especially over the last few months. 

• Like 3

I've recently found my way back to astronomy and SGL after many years away through other commitments - looking back, I joined all of 13 years ago, but don't think that really counts as long-standing - not with a ten year gap in the middle.

Great to see SGL is still just as friendly, helpful and knowledgeable a community as it was when I first arrived. 😀

Louise

• Like 3