Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

1 hour ago, verreli said:

The wait is almost over.  After incessant wind, rain and cloud cover, tonight's the night and with no work tomorrow, it looks like it's going to be an all nighter.  Neo should be visible from just after sunset to just before sunrise.  Looking at the forecast, this may be the only chance to see it from this location.

Me too, I've been trying to share this info with as many people as possible to get out tonight as the forecast looks good.  This will be night 3, where night 1 was a failure.  Last night I saw it and captured it so I'm happy.  Tonight is a bonus, so plan to head to a local beauty spot and image it over that.

I'm hoping to get my first view of NEOWISE tonight (or tomorrow morning!). There's a lot of cloud about at the moment with a few clear patches but it's meant to clear this evening...

image.thumb.png.0f5c275dd67db64f32950373309c9047.png

Also, it looks like Astro darkness is returning at the end of next week!

I love comets, but I  have had days and days and days of early morning clouds, so I am none the Wiser as to what NEOWISE actually looks like. Also, I had hoped to see a shadow transit of Ganymede last night. It was mainly clear an hour before it started, but then the clouds rolled in.

• Sad 2

I may even try to see this tonight at 11pm, as it appears to be 5 degrees above the horizon then still. Will get up at 2.30am and give it a go then too. Sleep? Who needs it? 🤪🤪😴😴🤣🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Is this bright enough to capture with a static tripod? With 135mm lens wide open?

I have seen a few images of 1 second duration, that capture core and tail.  I couldnt believe it when I lookd at it this morning for the first time.  As clear as day with the naked eye.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I may even try to see this tonight at 11pm, as it appears to be 5 degrees above the horizon then still. Will get up at 2.30am and give it a go then too. Sleep? Who needs it? 🤪🤪😴😴🤣🤣

It’s already visible in binoculars here! Time to hit the coffee :D 

7 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

It’s already visible in binoculars here! Time to hit the coffee :D 

Might be visible here if it wasn't for that big black cloud on the horizon.

Dave

Until this morning CO had it as clear all night here and suddenly it said cloud from 11pm. Well, it was clear until about 9.30pm and now big black clouds have rolled in from the north 😢

It's now saying tomorrow night will be clear... but that's what it said last night about today. After tomorrow, there are no clear skies at all for the next week

5 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

Just saw the comet, it's dark enough to be a lovely view with flowing tail in 10x50s - it's 10.50

If you could sort them turning off the lights in Cardiff I might be able to get a better view myself :D

James

Got the comet here as well !

Low down to the N currently. You can star hop from Capella - > Menkalinan (Beta Aurigae) - > Neowise in approx equal westward steps.

Comet looks similar to my 1st sighting. Tail streaming away in a narrow fan at a 45 degree angle to the horizon.

Very nice in 11x70 binoculars and 9x50 finder. Excellent in ED 120mm refractor at 50x :grin:

I had my 2nd NEOWISE session early this morning. Such a wonderful sight as it rises over the trees! I plan to be out again around 2:30am tomorrow.

Unfortunately I can't see the comet from my usual observing location, so I'm limited to using binoculars for viewing and a camera on a static tripod for imaging, a short walk from home. However, I did take an 80mm telescope with me this morning, and used it on the camera tripod. I captured the following using 7 x 1.3 sec. frames at ISO 12800 (ouch!).

Good luck and clear skies to all chasing NEOWISE over the coming nights!

Regards, Mike.

NEOWISE 80mm c.jpg

• Like 8

I fancy that I might be able to make out the tail, but the sky is still too bright to the north to be sure and the core is behind the trees (I knew I never liked those sycamores) even from my first floor vantage point.  It's obviously not helping that it's about as low as it gets right now.

James