SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

Lovely to see the captures so far, super.

Such an early morning comet, looks like an opportunity Saturday morning so the plan is to set the camera on the gorilla pod on the window ledge Friday with the vintage 50mm lens as it is fast and focus is manual and wont slip and then use the phone or intervalometer to set a delayed timelapse off. If I get low enough view is not known at this point but worth a shot.

33 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Lovely to see the captures so far, super.

Such an early morning comet, looks like an opportunity Saturday morning so the plan is to set the camera on the gorilla pod on the window ledge Friday with the vintage 50mm lens as it is fast and focus is manual and wont slip and then use the phone or intervalometer to set a delayed timelapse off. If I get low enough view is not known at this point but worth a shot.

A clever person could image Neowise, Venus and the ISS in the same frame about 3.15am tonight :thumbsup:

May need a 20mm lens

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

A clever person could image Neowise, Venus and the ISS in the same frame about 3.15am tonight :thumbsup:

... don't forget to get some NLCs as well.....  ;) 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

May need a 20mm lens

Dave

Great idea. I have the kit lens or a 24mm pancake but I can't make the skies clear, 

• Like 1

I'm planning to see, and hopefully image, Comet NEOWISE tomorrow morning, but my usual observing location in the back garden is obstructed by the valley side. I have 2 alternative locations in mind but I'm torn between them.

One is nearby and has dark skies and a fairly low horizon in the right direction. However, there are obstructions and no room to adjust position if it's not right due to a deep river channel next to the footpath.

The other location is a couple of miles walk away , is less obstructed but the direction to view the comet is back over the large village where I live. If only the comet was to the south, as that would be directly over the sea! The distance away is also not ideal on work night of course.

I'll check the conditions and will have to make a decision around 2:30 in the morning. In the meantime, good luck and clear skies everyone!

Regards, Mike.

My area is showing 30% cloud coverage for tonight's viewing - and then no chance until the weekend. 

Not getting in until 5am this morning and only having 3 hours sleep last night, need to decide whether to chance it again. 

Haven't had an all night double header like this since my clubbing days! 

Hi everyone guess we have everything crossed so we all get to see her 

I'll be up with my binoculars and tea my last comet was way back Hale bopp 1997

Let's hope those of us up soon are rewarded

Best of luck 

Steve

Looking possibly good here for another look at Neowise in the early hours. If I can stay awake - only got 4 hours sleep last night :coffee:

Crop of one of my images from this morning:

neowise06072020crop.JPG

• Like 8

Have had no clear nights for 3 weeks, but ClearOutside has been 'green' for 00:00 - 03:00 tonight for the past week. I take out by dob just now (skies clearing) - come back in and have a look at ClearOutside:

DOH!

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Have had no clear nights for 3 weeks, but ClearOutside has been 'green' for 00:00 - 03:00 tonight for the past week. I take out by dob just now (skies clearing) - come back in and have a look at ClearOutside:

DOH!

Capture.JPG

Don’t let it put you off. I nearly talked myself out of getting up last night as the forecast worsened. I decided to gamble and got great views of the comet.

(Disclaimer: Clear skies are not guaranteed 😛)

Edited by Littleguy80

Clouded over here for now. Quite thin stuff though.

I agree with Neil / @Littleguy80 above. Last night was too cloudy to observe but there were enough breaks in the right place (for a change !) to see the comet when the time came.

Don't need a scope set up either - 70mm binoculars should show it very well and are very "grab and go" :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I’m going to head up to the local heath tomorrow at about 3am with my 72mm scope on the Scopetech zero mount. I’ll probably take my 10x50 binos as well given what has been said, but fingers crossed we get some breaks in the cloud at least.

C29494BB-EB8A-4229-AE1B-E779530E0A82.jpeg

585831D6-3BF2-496C-9FFF-012FA1FE6083.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m going to head up to the local heath tomorrow at about 3am with my 72mm scope on the Scopetech zero mount. I’ll probably take my 10x50 binos as well given what has been said, but fingers crossed we get some breaks in the cloud at least.

C29494BB-EB8A-4229-AE1B-E779530E0A82.jpeg

585831D6-3BF2-496C-9FFF-012FA1FE6083.jpeg

Mine is a little more basic! I'll get a good view from the beach, but that's obviously not a good location for a scope. I'll take the old 10x50 bins too.

IMG_20200705_202544992.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goodricke1 said:

Lot of comments for a barely naked-eye object... imagine if this place had been around during Hale-Bopp! 😇

Quite a lot of comments when a small sunspot group appears as well.

We are an astro forum - what are we supposed to discuss ? :rolleyes2:

24 minutes ago, goodricke1 said:

Lot of comments for a barely naked-eye object... imagine if this place had been around during Hale-Bopp! 😇

When H-B was around back in 1997, I remember getting so awestruck one night on the way back to my flat from the pub (after quite a few too many drinks), I decided to ring everyone I knew to tell them how amazing it was! It took quite some effort back then - it's so much simpler with Facebook.

When I staggered into work the next morning, I had earned the nick-name 'Cosmic'. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2