Narrowband

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

I can see where it should be. But there's a bank of clouds just sitting there.

Hopefully the breeze might disperse it eventually. I'll give it 20 minutes more then I'm going to bed. 

Saw it!  Managed even from the front garden. Using bins.

By the time I got my son out to look, it was fading in the rising light - but still there.

Celebratory beer, then bed.

Dragged myself out of bed and up to the heath but defeated by clouds. Some gaps around but not in the right place annoyingly.

@Pixies what tine was it at its best for you? I was in place by soon after 3am. Too late?

Up at 2:45am. The Moon, Jupiter and Saturn made a impressive trio together at this time. A bit of cloud around in the wrong place but it cleared enough by 3:20am to see Neowise. Used the 10” dob rather than the frac this time. Looked stunning. Took loads of pics. Even had a go at Dave’s Neowise, Venus and ISS shot though I think cloud might have spoiled that one. Mars gave some great views as the sky brightened. Had a really nice time observing with Hedgehogs running by me on the green. 

• Like 6

I've seen the comet again, no clouds, and it was great as yesterday! The comet's tail was longer in the photos I took, and it looked to be a bit brighter than yesterday, but I'm not sure... Is it just me? 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

I got up at 2am, saw the clouds, and thought " this is probably a waste of time". I went to my chosen observing site - a multistorey carpark - only to find it shut.

I decided to walk to a nearby park that has a decent north view in the hope that the trees at the northern end weren't tall enough to obscure my view. I stood patiently, and the clouds kept on coming. There was a narrow, clear band of sky developing just where I needed it, so kept scanning along with my binoculars.

At about 3:05am, I got my reward. One second it wasn't there, then, it was! A beautiful sight in 12x50s, easily the best comet for me since Hale-Bopp, and absolutely worth getting up for! 

This is the first actual astronomy I have done for at least a year, and confirms to me that I do still love doing it! I took a few snaps with the phone through the bins, then walked home very happy indeed. 

The image shows the band I mention, it's not the horizon, so I suppose it's a couple of degrees wide at best. The timing couldn't have been better, lucky me.

IMG_20200707_031056461.jpg

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 12

I got up for 3am, but alas no joy due to clouds...  One thing that is bugging me though and its probably me.. what elevation are you folks seeing here, all the images look to be quite manageable, however the sky live is showing hugging the horizon between 2am and 3am around 6deg..?

Edited by Fozzie

I decided not to even try. Shielding at my parents' house in very suburban outskirts of Birmingham. I doubt I'll be able to get the angle I need. Plus, I needed to be at the computer for teaching at 9am!! 

Hoping it will still be around when I go home this weekend.

34 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I got up for 3am, but alas no joy due to clouds...  One thing that is bugging me though and its probably me.. what elevation are you folks seeing here, all the images look to be quite manageable, however the sky live is showing hugging the horizon between 2am and 3am around 6deg..?

I've been wondering too!?

I drove for an hour at 3am to one of the highest points of the country (and still missed it!) - whilst others wearily just leaned out their bedroom window and took a few snaps!

Edited by dd999

I managed to see NEOWISE from a local footpath, so didn't have to take the long hike to my originally-planned observing spot!

What a beautiful sight in binoculars as it rose above the trees, with it's curved tail, and easily visible to the naked eye! The head was still visible in the brightening sky at 4am. Wonderful, and well worth losing some sleep for :) . My 96th comet, and one of the best!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Slightly later (say 3.30) and it's at about 8 deg. Still low though - you need a clear view of the NE horizon. 

Got up again but all cloudy 

Interesting that a couple of posts mention naked eye - is it brighter than yesterday when most said it was not, or more transparent skies perhaps?

Edited by kerrylewis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out at 2:30. Some cloud but clearing as time passed. Finally found it and had good views in binos and my ED 72. Well worth the early rise with the added bonus of decent views of Mars before the skies got too light.

• Like 1

Spotted the comet for the first time this morning from 03.45 to 04.15 CEST. With the 1979 vintage 14x100 Wachter Gigant binoculars a quite impressive sight! Brightness about 2.5 mag (compared to Theta Auriga); a tiny head/ inner coma, yellow-golden coloured. The narrow parabola of the tail was visible in the dawn twilight for 1.5 to 2°, the edges slightly brighter. The bright head was visible with the binos even through a thin cloud layer, but not by naked eye. Readily visible with the 7X50 Fuji, and even the 1965 vintage 8x30 Hertel+Reuss. Finally a "typical" comet after years; IMO the best since Hale-Bopp.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Dragged myself out of bed and up to the heath but defeated by clouds. Some gaps around but not in the right place annoyingly.

@Pixies what tine was it at its best for you? I was in place by soon after 3am. Too late?

I saw it at 3am when a low band of cloud lifted, but 5 minutes later it was fading in the lightening sky. I'm in Edinburgh, so will have lighter skies than you.

My back garden has a limited view because of high stone walls, houses, trees, etc. So I spent a lot of last night wandering down to the beach to get a good unobstructed view of the North horizon. I walked down towards the sea (it was low tide) and it was sickening looking back to see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - none of which I could see from the back garden.

• Like 1

Clouded NE horizon here at 3:00 am so went back to bed. Still cloudy when I woke again so no go here today.

Good to hear that others are getting sightings in though :icon_biggrin:

It might not be Hale-Bopp II but it's the best over the past 7 years apparently so well worth discussion and reporting IMHO. Also you never quite know what it's going to do next ......

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I saw it at 3am when a low band of cloud lifted, but 5 minutes later it was fading in the lightening sky. I'm in Edinburgh, so will have lighter skies than you.

My back garden has a limited view because of high stone walls, houses, trees, etc. So I spent a lot of last night wandering down to the beach to get a good unobstructed view of the North horizon. I walked down towards the sea (it was low tide) and it was sickening looking back to see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - none of which I could see from the back garden.

I know how you feel, all this great equipment in my obs and can not get on it as yet and don't think that i will be able to unless it can be captured during daylight. "i love imaging comets ,am sick also".

Bob.