SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

And the dark side has you at last! :D

James

Only as a snap shooter ! :grin:

2020 F3 Neowise is definitely a naked eye comet tonight. The tail seems to extend for a couple of degrees at least. Quite clear and rather lovely when it's bisected by a low cloud as it is just now.

29 minutes ago, John said:

Quick crop of DSLR shot at 300mm F/11, 1.6 sec ISO 1600:

Your picture reproduces what I was looking at few minutes ago. Well done. I took my daughter 14y to see her first comet naked eye with tail. Not every day you put together the words comet, Naked eye and tail in the same sentence. 

• Like 1

Got it easily in my 8x40s as it passed thru a gap between the trees to toe northwest.

Also got a lovely view through the ED120 at 28x with my 32mm Panaview. Very clear bright nucleus and fan shaped tail as John describes.

Very pleased to have caught it tonight but will try again in the small hours as there is no work tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tenor Viol said:

Cloud 😢

Same here... Set up my equipment since it had been clear from about 9PM to 10:30PM but unfortunately as the sky became dark enough at around 11-11:30PM the clouds rolled in towards the north while still being clear in the south until midnight:cussing:

5 minutes ago, John said:

2020 F3 Neowise is definitely a naked eye comet tonight. The tail seems to extend for a couple of degrees at least. Quite clear and rather lovely when it's bisected by a low cloud as it is just now.

If it's that big then I really ought to be able to see it because it should show above the trees, but I'm struggling at the moment.  Once I can see the core then it might all fall into place, but I think I need another half hour or so for it to escape the trees altogether.

James

Clearly naked eye this evening. I dragged my two older kids (13 and 11) out of bed to see it. Really stunning. I have a love of comets but have never seen a proper one until now. Kids enjoyed it. We had a look at Jupiter and Saturn too. They’ve been sent back to bed so Dad can play some more!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Same here... Set up my equipment since it had been clear from about 9PM to 10:30PM but unfortunately as the sky became dark enough at around 11-11:30PM the clouds rolled in towards the north while still being clear in the south until midnight:cussing:

Almost exactly what happened to me here in Shropshire in the UK. People to the south of me in the UK seem to be OK.

They told me there was a new comet in the nothern sky.
They told me the sky was going to be clear this evening and night.
So I jumped in the car  an hour+ ago and headed out to my northern viewing site.

Yep magnificent sky.
only 4 clouds, a big one between Polaris and Capella, and two lesser ones below it near the horizon. One small one far round in the west.

Wot comet ? ! Phhhha the're avin a larf.
Scanned this way and that with the 10x50, , , nuffink.

and then, yes you guessed , I glimpsed the end of a tail poking out from one of the lesser clouds. !!! Would you adam&eve it, a whole hemisphere to chose from and it had to obscure my comet !

Anyhows, to cut a long saga short, the cloud slowly got thinner and drifted away.
What a magnificent comet ! What a beautiful tail.

Happy bunny ! :)

• Like 5

Fantastic here in the West of Ireland tonight, was looking iffy for a bit but it all came good, super views with the 10x50's and also a 25mm eye piece on my little Meade ETX70, clearly visible with the naked eye also. Been trying for a while to catch a view so Im totally made up tonight, only the 2nd naked eye comet  I have ever seen.

What struck me about this comet was the huge length of the tail, it really is fantastic, far better than I ever expected.  Back off out now for more because this is Ireland, it could rain till xmas from tomorrow, so got to make the most of it.

Good luck to everyone, hope you all get a chance to view this wondeful sight

• Like 4

Just managed to find it, about half an hour ago.  Got the children to have a look as well.  It does look stunning, and as John says, definitely naked eye even without any significant dark adaptation.  I'm going to stick a coat on now and go out to actually get dark adapted so I can get a better look.

James

• Like 2

A brief report from my current location at 60 deg N. Clouds have put a stop to my first attempt, the second was ruined by those newfangled NLCs, then tonight (July 10th, 01:30 middle European time zone) I managed to see it :-) Not an easy direct vision naked eye object to locate, due to the bright summer nights up here, the NLCs, and drifting normal clouds - but still impressive when I found it in my 7x35s. Picture taken with 105 mm f2.5 objective at 1/30 sec exposure (Nikon D200).

NEOWISE 689.jpg

• Like 1

It's come into view again, it just keeps taking your breath away. The tail clear against a darkish sky naked eye and framed by tall trees - a spectacle in binoculars.  

andrew

Edited by andrew63