Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

I know it's not the best photo, but I think it's nice to be my first photo of a comet... 

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 5 seconds exposure without tracking. 

IMG_20200706_102119_photos_v2_x4_colored_toned.jpg

Edited by HaleBopp2007
  • Like 11

I managed to get at look at Neowise this morning just rising over my neighbors roof.

it's my first comet through a telescope !

I tried to capture it but by the time I had my camera ready, it was already lost in the Suns glare.

Hopefully I'll be better prepared tomorrow morning.

Really pleased so many astronomy enthusiasts are getting to see this rare sight.  Up here in the North West it was raining at 3am and the earliest I'll get a weather window is next Saturday morning.  Praying to the astronomy gods that it doesn't fizzle out by then.  Keep the reports coming.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well done to all who managed to capture the spectacle.

I drove out to the South Downs, had a great view across to the NE horizon but alas I mis-timed everything and arrived around 10mins too late. The sun had faded the last glimpses of Neowise and although trusted binos in hand, I saw nothing. 

The weather forecast down here on the south coast isn't showing clear night skies until early hours of Saturday morning, and by then it'll be visible all night. Let's hope it keeps it's mag and I'm not left waiting another 25 years to see a comet.

My consolation prize for staying up all night and an hour round-trip roadtrip at 3am, was Venus across the morning sunrise. Not quite Neowise, but silver linings and all that

venus-beachy-head.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

So if I've got my ephems correctly plotted we should be in for quite a lot of still-relatively-bright viewing in the evening in the coming weeks. And if I stick my head out the door at 3AM tomorrow, might catch it - but it's in an awful place for my telescope where it is. Should be fine for the evening sessions though!

2020-07-06 12_10_37-Stellarium 0.20.2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until it gets higher, I will have to walk to the top of the road to even see it. Fortunately, the top of the road does have a decent view to E and NE. Unfortunately, CO says my next early morning clear slot is next Saturday... 

I'm the same as others here. It will need to climb higher to make it possible... just hope it keeps the brightness for this. From the above map I think I'm looking towards the 19th!

Tomorrow morning looks possible for me, so I think I will set an alarm and head up to the heath with my 72mm, could even take the ScopeTech Zero Mount and weekend how that does, nice and light anyway.

1 hour ago, dd999 said:

Well done to all who managed to capture the spectacle.

I drove out to the South Downs, had a great view across to the NE horizon but alas I mis-timed everything and arrived around 10mins too late. The sun had faded the last glimpses of Neowise and although trusted binos in hand, I saw nothing. 

The weather forecast down here on the south coast isn't showing clear night skies until early hours of Saturday morning, and by then it'll be visible all night. Let's hope it keeps it's mag and I'm not left waiting another 25 years to see a comet.

My consolation prize for staying up all night and an hour round-trip roadtrip at 3am, was Venus across the morning sunrise. Not quite Neowise, but silver linings and all that

venus-beachy-head.jpg

My guess is that if you'd swung the camera to the left a bit you'd have caught it in this image. I had a close look at your image and stretched it a bit. You've picked up Aldebaran to the lower left of Venus so, considering the other images that were sucessfull, I think it was there for the taking! :)

If you'd had Cappela center frame you'd have had Neowise too.

I have a small gap in the clutter on my NNW horizon from home, maybe useful later in the apparition but NE is a non starter. I'd have to drive out to find a good spot. 

I'm tempted but I'm in work at 06:30 tomorrow. So maybe an early start and stay up until work.

29 minutes ago, Paul M said:

My guess is that if you'd swung the camera to the left a bit you'd have caught it in this image. I had a close look at your image and stretched it a bit. You've picked up Aldebaran to the lower left of Venus so, considering the other images that were sucessfull, I think it was there for the taking! :)

If you'd had Cappela center frame you'd have had Neowise too.

🤦‍♂️ ..... that's comforting lol

Yes I saw Aldebaran in the shot in Lightoom (I tried too stretching and zooming to see if I had picked up). If that's the case and it was further to the East then I was pointing - then Stellarium was way out! ....... at the time I took this Stellarium had Venus spot on but it showed Neowise almost dead center in the shot above! 

Edited by dd999

My street ends at the prom and a North-facing beach.  I'll be heading down there tonight, as it's hopefully going to be the first clear night in a few weeks.

If it's visible to the naked eye, I might even waken the kids, if they are asleep already.

6 minutes ago, dd999 said:

at the time I took this Stellarium had Venus spot on but it showed Neowise almost dead center in the shot above! 

I won't argue with that. My interprettion of the image scale and the dawn glow was that Neowise was off to the left. I did an extreme stretch in Photoshop looking for a hint but only picked out one other star that I decided must be 112 Tau which seemed to confirm the size and location of the frame. I used Stellarum too but I wasn't there! :)

17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I won't argue with that. My interprettion of the image scale and the dawn glow was that Neowise was off to the left. I did an extreme stretch in Photoshop looking for a hint but only picked out one other star that I decided must be 112 Tau which seemed to confirm the size and location of the frame. I used Stellarum too but I wasn't there! :)

I think you're right. In the cold light of day, and with a fresh pair of eyes, I've just looked again at the time I took this (3:50am) and used SkySafari (it wasn't Stellarium) again to replot where I was.

Really zooming in I think I've caught Elnath, as well as possibly Haedus in the real top left. If that's the case then I was merely a small swoop away from catching it  ....... boy don't I feel even worse 😉

Edited by dd999
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pixies said:

My street ends at the prom and a North-facing beach.  I'll be heading down there tonight, as it's hopefully going to be the first clear night in a few weeks.

If it's visible to the naked eye, I might even waken the kids, if they are asleep already.

I didn't wake up my children. The light dawn doesn't allow me me to call it spectacular. They would not enjoy it as much as I did. 

5 minutes ago, Scosmico said:

I didn't wake up my children. The light dawn doesn't allow me me to call it spectacular. They would not enjoy it as much as I did. 

I'll check with them before bed whether they would be interested. My daughter is more likely - but the shot of the aurora in my profile pic was taken with my son after I got him out of bed to see it. They are on their summer hols (Scottish schools have different term times) and my son is rarely asleep before 2am! He is 15 now, though.

• Like 1