Narrowband

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

I've seen two. One from vivstoitsis from Twitter and from a random Japanese.

The first showed it's now 1st mag, and the second one shows that in 10 days it will go down to 5th mag. The first one says it will be 2,3 mag by then. 

Edited by HaleBopp2007
  • Like 1

Finally got to see it this morning,nice and clear horizon,but needed to observe it through the attic window.

Couldnt see it by eye,but through 8x30 binos it looked amazing,lovely tail and bright nucleus,easily visible naked eye once i knew where to look from around 3.00am until 4.00am.

2 hours ago, paul mc c said:

Finally got to see it this morning,nice and clear horizon,but needed to observe it through the attic window.

Couldnt see it by eye,but through 8x30 binos it looked amazing,lovely tail and bright nucleus,easily visible naked eye once i knew where to look from around 3.00am until 4.00am.

Paul thats good to hear you saw it, I'm planning on staying up tonight to do a little imaging and try to get it.  Have you any star charts to follow, as I wont be able to rely on my platesolving technology to find it (behind a tree from my new obsy, but would have been visible from the old one).

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Paul thats good to hear you saw it, I'm planning on staying up tonight to do a little imaging and try to get it.  Have you any star charts to follow, as I wont be able to rely on my platesolving technology to find it (behind a tree from my new obsy, but would have been visible from the old one).

Hi Adam, don't have any charts, but just look below and to the left of Capela, about 20 degrees above the horizon and sweep with binos, you can't miss it, really easy with naked eye once found. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Hi Adam, don't have any charts, but just look below and to the left of Capela, about 20 degrees above the horizon and sweep with binos, you can't miss it, really easy with naked eye once found. 

I'll give it a go!  I'll hopefully spot it.  Would it pssible to see it before that, but obviously a lot lower down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I'll give it a go!  I'll hopefully spot it.  Would it pssible to see it before that, but obviously a lot lower down?

I reckon you could see it at 2.30,it actually may be circumpolar for us......but just.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

So many lovely cracking images today.

@scotty1 at what zoom level was that please? 

Edit I think that's at the 55mm end

Hi happy-kat,

The first photo was at 210mm 2.5secs exp. f5.6, iso 2500.

Second pic 300mm 1.6 seconds exp. f5.8, iso 2500  APS-C sensor.

• Like 1

Away at a small rural retreat with the family a good way up north at close to 61 degrees latitude. Decided to set my alarm to go out and have a peek at the sky at its darkest. Beautiful noctilucent clouds in the northern sky and Jupiter and Saturn shining prominently in the south. Moon rising bright yellow above the treeline and Mars following it with a distinct red hue.

Tried to locate comet NEOWISE with the naked eye using Capella as a reference but couldn’t make anything out. Northern sky bright and plenty of thin cloud. Tried using my small 8x25 binos and found it! Core clearly visible and the wispy tail stretching out a fair bit. Lovely. Still no luck seeing it naked eye even knowing where to look.

My wife had asked me to wake her if I found it so I did. Bleary eyed and wrapped in a blanket she joined me on the lawn. Handed her the binos and showed her where to look. Saw her straining for a while: ”That was a tiny little thing wasn’t it?!” 😀

Guess I had gotten her hopes up a bit too much talking about a naked eye comet and all. Well, noctilucent clouds, rising moon and planets made her happy all in all.

Snapped a picture of the clouds. Can’t see the comet in it though.

2653706C-9F50-43D5-B2BA-ED0F2259EA8E.jpeg

• Like 3

Just spotted Neowise at 1.45 from a high vantage point at work.

I thought a low bank of cloud was in the way but scanned with the 8x40 bins and nearly fell over it!

Put the bins down and found it to be an easy naked eye object from my light poluted industrial location,  looking out over the town. Long tail even with direct vision.

Going to try and get some images with my camera before the sky brightens.

• Like 1

At last!  Spent a good 20 minutes just looking at it through binos.  Visual astronomy is very relaxing, just the birds singing and nothing else.  This comet requires literally no observing skills to see, it just jumps out at you.   Looks to have a fairly long tail from the photo I took at the time  

Comet Neowise.jpg

Comet Neowise Close.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

At last!  Spent a good 20 minutes just looking at it through binos.  Visual astronomy is very relaxing, just the birds singing and nothing else.  This comet requires literally no observing skills to see, it just jumps out at you.   Looks to have a fairly long tail from the photo I took at the time  

Comet Neowise.jpg

Comet Neowise Close.jpg

Great Pic.

what camera were you using and what settings?

thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W0nderste said:

Great Pic.

what camera were you using and what settings?

thanks

Thanks 😎

Nikon D800E with Nikon 180mm F2.8 lens.  ISO200, 13s exposure, F5.6. On Star Adventurer mount roughly placed north.

IMG_3699a.thumb.JPG.6a5059cc8f2fe0b4c8227d43e610ac66.JPG

Hi everyone

Unless it survives its trip around the sun, probably last chance from this far south. 

So, through the calima, but still naked eye, at 05:30...

Edited by alacant
  • Like 5

The wait is almost over.  After incessant wind, rain and cloud cover, tonight's the night and with no work tomorrow, it looks like it's going to be an all nighter.  Neo should be visible from just after sunset to just before sunrise.  Looking at the forecast, this may be the only chance to see it from this location.

• Like 1