Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello

Jimbo75

Hi all!

I'm slowly getting back into Astronomy after a stop/start 25 years or so.. University, work, house, marriage - although I've not got the excuse of kids (yet!! ?). 

The last time I was really into it was the early '90s when I was in my late teens and I had a Celestron C8 on a Vixen Super Polaris mount. The scope had gone by the time Uni happened in '96 and it was 2010 before I got the bug again - buying a used Meade LX10 8" SCT. However, despite my best efforts the rhythm of work meant I wasn't really able to kick start back into things properly. Fingers crossed things are a bit more settled now so I'm giving it another go!

I still have the LX10 which I plan to defork and mount on a GEM (I really miss my old C8!). I'm looking forward to getting involved on here. 

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 1

Hello and welcome back to the hobby. I am curious though, do you find that the C8 was superior to the Meade version? Or is there another reason why you miss it, whilst still owning a 8" SCT? Oris it just the mount?

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! ?

@upahill - you're not joking! It hasn't stopped here all day.. I hope the rain and clouds aren't an omen! ?

@Greymouser - I remember seeing all the glossy adverts for wedge mounted SCTs in US mags like 'Astronomy' back in the '90s.. so when the chance of the LX-10 came up I didn't think twice. However, I haven't really taken to the wedge - plus the LX-10 electronics are getting on a bit now. My experience with the Vixen SP makes me want to revert back to an equatorial. On the plus side mounts appear to have come on leaps and bounds. It seems that Skywatcher has cornered the market with their SP / GP clones. So, to cut a long story short - at this stage, for me it's more about the mount. I wish I had a chance to test the C8 and Meade OTA's of the era side by side as it would have made for an interesting comparison!

Cheers,

Jim