Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

On 23/10/2018 at 16:47, avtaram said:

The latest incarnation of my 1.25" eyepiece case. Panoptic 24, Delos 14, 10, 6, Morpheus 17.5, 4.5

1214525927_DSC_06124.thumb.JPG.ed19597001a3cadeaac2760bc56f7b43.JPG

My minimalist set comprises 24 Pan, 18.2, 7 Delites and a 2x ES Barlow giving me 24, 18.2, 12, 9, 7, 3.5

Avtar 

What do you think of the Morpheus EP's please? I have 2 Hyperions but may add the higher spec shortly. David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The toolbox I've been using for accessories is not great and was thinking about a neater solution. Something like a padded rifle case.  My eyepiece collection is growing and the eyepieces themselves are mostly large. 

Please show us your accessories/eyepiece case for inspiration. 

Thanks! 

Edited by emadmoussa

@emadmoussa, My large/long eyepiece case is a Doskocil XL which is long since discontinued.  The Pelican 1600 is the most similar currently available case.  I recently bought this case at Sam's Club for my retired or seldom used large/long eyepieces and barlows.  It is no where near as nice as the Doskocil or Pelican because the foam is not as dense and it does not have a base layer of solid protective foam at the bottom.  It is much cheaper than either premium case, though.

As you might have guessed, I like my eyepiece standing up on end when possible.  The case has a much smaller footprint as a result than having the eyepieces lying on their sides.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

@emadmoussa, My large/long eyepiece case is a Doskocil XL which is long since discontinued.  The Pelican 1600 is the most similar currently available case.  I recently bought this case at Sam's Club for my retired or seldom used large/long eyepieces and barlows.  It is no where near as nice as the Doskocil or Pelican because the foam is not as dense and it does not have a base layer of solid protective foam at the bottom.  It is much cheaper than either premium case, though.

As you might have guessed, I like my eyepiece standing up on end when possible.  The case has a much smaller footprint as a result than having the eyepieces lying on their sides.

I was thinking in terms of a case for both accessories and eyepieces. I can think of a large tool box and then insert some foam in it.  I don't find the aluminium flight cases particularly appealing, had a couple in the past and didn't feel sturdy or practical enough for everything, EPs and accessories.  

22 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

I was thinking in terms of a case for both accessories and eyepieces. I can think of a large tool box and then insert some foam in it.  I don't find the aluminium flight cases particularly appealing, had a couple in the past and didn't feel sturdy or practical enough for everything, EPs and accessories.  

I keep a separate toolbox full of non-eyepiece accessories such as collimation tools, camera adapters, a filter wallet, rarely used accessories, laser sight batteries and charger, boxed 1.25" correct image diagonals, etc.  I keep my Telrads in a foam padded box because they're so large, but my QuikFinder is small enough it lives in a low cost, foam padded eyepiece case for miscellaneous eyepieces like my reticle eyepieces.

During the past few weeks due to the awful endless cloud that's gripped the east of Lincolnshire, I've been sorting out stuff including my eyepieces.

As I am now using binoviewers for about half of my observing time, I've had to make some hard decisions, including letting some much prized older Japanese eyepieces go.

I'm increasingly finding that 2 eyed viewing is more comfortable than cyclops, due to the marked, age related deterioration in my right (natural observing ) eye. Although I am trying to train my left eye for cyclops viewing, I still find that binoviewing is more comfortable for certain types of viewing, and so I've been putting a few pairs together for this. 

My current mix shown below now comprises:

Back row, left to right, cyclops viewing,  Morpheus 9mm, Pentax XL 10.5mm, Vixen LVW 22mm, Skywatch Aero 30mm, and Bresser/Meade 40mm.

Front row, left to right, Binoviewing pairs, Fujiyama 12.5mm orthos, (7.8mm), 17.5mm Morpheus (11mm), 25mm (15.6mm), Parks Gold Series Japan (same as Celestron Ultima and Baader Eudiascopic).

I have a pair of William Optics 1.6x nosepieces which change the focal lengths above to the figures shown in brackets.

Oh, and I also have a lovely 30mm Parks Gold (the one pictured on its' own) which I cant bear to sell , and would love to find another of..☺

Very happy with this combination at the moment.?.

The last pictures show the Morpheus 17.5mm pair ready for action in my Tak FS128 - if it ever clears, that is!

Dave

IMG_20190110_150642414.jpg

IMG_20190110_152540194.jpg

IMG_20190110_152517318.jpg

IMG_20190110_152108862.jpg

IMG_20190110_152128453.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photos added
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see the house is painted in Tak green to match the scope Dave ?

Funny how we change our viewing taste or style and eyepieces to suit,
problem is the kit is so much more accessible than times past.

I do appreciate your change is perhaps more to do with your ongoing eye challenges of course
and wish you well with this situation.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan☺.

Actually the house is painted blue (it was previously green) - unless my colour vision has gone too!

As I approach retirement around the end of this year, I hope, I will have to cut my Astro cloth to suit what will be my much lower income at that point. So the only piece of kit that I own that is "safe" beyond the end of this year is my FS128.

By choosing this mix of eyepieces, if I absolutely have to, I can sell some of them but keep a decent core of good glass, even if only for cyclops viewing.

Of course I hope it doesn't come to that, but the current political uncertainty has knocked 10% off the value of my pension fund in the past 3 months, so who knows where we will be after the end of March?:glasses12:

But you are correct, we are very lucky to have access to a great range of kit these days. And I think the Morpheus range offers amazing performance at great prices - it would be no hardship to me to only have Morphii eps to use in the future??...Well, apart from the LVW 22 and something of 30-35mm FL!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Actually the house is painted blue (it was previously green) - unless my colour vision has gone too!

That is worrying Dave as it looks Green to me...........
It must be the remnants of my Christmas viral infection still having effects

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

That is worrying Dave as it looks Green to me...........
It must be the remnants of my Christmas viral infection still having effects

Here's one of the summerhouse...It's painted in exactly the same colour as the house ..convinced now???

IMG_20181209_152054767.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oddly enough, when I first saw the pic, I thought it was a matching green to the scope. But now I can plainly see it's blue! :)

@F15Rules

What scope is that pointed at the summer house?

Edited by trynda1701
  • Like 1