Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

On 22/09/2019 at 03:56, garryblueboy said:

A move around in the cases since last time I posted on this thread feel like I have a nice balance of eyepieces now we’ll maybe a couple more wouldn’t hurt 😂🤣 

1301230E-920E-47F2-84AF-98CD2D841068.jpeg

6FD7935B-A1F1-46CF-8558-D765FDC1F3CA.jpeg

How do your Televue eyepieces feel about the two Myriad eyepieces?  Do they play nice with them, or do they gang up together to bully them for not having green lettering? 😉

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6 June 2019 at 15:57, avtaram said:

image.thumb.jpeg.01038f6bc10fe3cd03cef7138d02d2a3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dc8115a153d88de6403817dc722e5761.jpeg

first case contains only 1.25" eyepieces and the second 2" eyepieces. The 1.25" get a lot more scope time than the 2". When I bought the 21 Ethos I thought that would get more use in the 12" Dob  but it hasn't turned out that way, I prefer my 38 Panaview instead both in the 12" Dob and 120ED. The Ethos shows comet like stars in both scopes. I bought the Ethos second hand and it was pointed out to me by the seller that there was a little dent in the body of the eyepiece. I bought the eyepiece anyway as it was a good price. I'm thinking of sending it to Televue to see if they can do anything.

Avtar

It was a clear night tonight and despite a full Moon I rolled out the 12" dob to try the ethos 21 once again. I put the ethos in the focuser and tightened the 2 screws to secure it and then checked to make sure it was tight in the focuser by giving it a little twist. To my surprise the upper body of the ethos just spun round and felt loose. I took the eyepiece out of the focuser and tightened it. With the ethos back in the focuser I was delighted to see that the comet like stars were gone and showed as round dots from the centre right to the edge.

Avtar

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

An updated pic! The set is complete, Unless of course my 200p plays nicely with the 3.2mm Eye piece? I dont know if it will though.

Next is a nice 2" wide FOV 32mm to 40mm eye piece as recommended by the pros 🙂

Baz

DSC_0436.JPG

Looking at the above it has just dawned on me how close in size and colour the 8 & 25mm pieces are. You would have though BST would have used a different colour to tell them apart in dark conditions.

Baz

This is true John, very good point, Forgive my stupidity 😁😁
Thanks for the compliment about the eye piece's they should keep me out of mischief in my amateur days. I am really impressed with them. They perform really well for their money in my humble opinion. That said I haven't looked though one of the higher quality eye pieces so can't compare.

Out of interest, do you know if the 3.2mm BST would perform in a 200p,or is the 5mm my most realistic option for high power.

Regards

Baz

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

This is true John, very good point, Forgive my stupidity 😁😁
Thanks for the compliment about the eye piece's they should keep me out of mischief in my amateur days. I am really impressed with them. They perform really well for their money in my humble opinion. That said I haven't looked though one of the higher quality eye pieces so can't compare.

Out of interest, do you know if the 3.2mm BST would perform in a 200p,or is the 5mm my most realistic option for high power.

Regards

Baz

Hi Baz, the starguiders are great eyepieces for their cost. I have the 5,8,12,15 & 18mm & find them all good quality. The 5mm is probably the worst of them, but that’s being really picky. I probably wouldn’t bother with the 3.2mm as would be at limits of mag at well 300x & not many nights of seeing for that. You can always Barlow your 5 or 8 mm if needed . I have purchased a couple of Baader Morpheus eyepieces & even though they are superior to BST’s , I always surprised at the little difference you can actually see between them considering the cost difference. Good collection of eyepieces you have got there! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sky-searcher said:

Hi Baz, the starguiders are great eyepieces for their cost. I have the 5,8,12,15 & 18mm & find them all good quality. The 5mm is probably the worst of them, but that’s being really picky. I probably wouldn’t bother with the 3.2mm as would be at limits of mag at well 300x & not many nights of seeing for that. You can always Barlow your 5 or 8 mm if needed . I have purchased a couple of Baader Morpheus eyepieces & even though they are superior to BST’s , I always surprised at the little difference you can actually see between them considering the cost difference. Good collection of eyepieces you have got there! 

Thanks for confirming Sky Searcher. I will stick with the 5mm and barlow when required. I would agree that the 5mm is probably the worst, things do start to get a little blury with it. That said it has performed really well on Uranus recently. Very clear and crisp. I imagine seeing conditions have also contributed to that though. I am really looking forward to using the 18mm as I had quite a large gap in my collection between 15  & 25mm.  I should hopefully get  a nice middle ground between the two. Roll on clear sky! Hopefully tomorrow night as it will be Friday!

Baz

I think the 3.2 is worth using, if seeing conditions seem stable, on:

- The moon

- Saturn

- Mars

- Uranus and Neptune (to spot the moons)

- Close double stars

Jupiter does not seem to benefit from high magnifications usually. Often 150x - 200x give the best views of that planet even with larger apertures.

Mercury and Venus are usually low down so very high powers tend not to be much use in cutting through the atmosphere.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

I think the 3.2 is worth using, if seeing conditions seem stable, on:

- The moon

- Saturn

- Mars

- Uranus and Neptune (to spot the moons)

- Close double stars

Jupiter does not seem to benefit from high magnifications usually. Often 150x - 200x give the best views of that planet even with larger apertures.

Mercury and Venus are usually low down so very high powers tend not to be much use in cutting through the atmosphere.

Thats interesting to read, thanks for clarifying John. Now I am on the fence about getting the 3.2 😁 would my 200p be able to give a clear view at that power?

Baz

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thats interesting to read, thanks for clarifying John. Now I am on the fence about getting the 3.2 😁 would my 200p be able to give a clear view at that power?

Baz

@Barry-W-Fenner: Why don't you start a new thread on this subject (and which 30mm to 40mm 2-inch eyepiece to get) in the eyepieces forum?  I think it's a good subject, but this thread is about eyepiece cases, and I don't want to continue dragging it off-topic with my thoughts on the matter. 😉

55 minutes ago, Louis D said:

@Barry-W-Fenner: Why don't you start a new thread on this subject (and which 30mm to 40mm 2-inch eyepiece to get) in the eyepieces forum?  I think it's a good subject, but this thread is about eyepiece cases, and I don't want to continue dragging it off-topic with my thoughts on the matter. 😉

Hi Louis,

That's a good shout. I do have a habbit of getting carried away and straying off topic 😊 I will look to set something up! I think Stu and John have got the 30 to 40mm piece covered for me but I am open to suggestions 👍

Baz