SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wife just asked how much my telescope cost !

Danjc

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told hubby that he didn't need to buy me an Xmas present this year as I had bought some astro kit.  But I think he'd be horrified that I spent £1300 on my "Xmas present!!!" 

He never asks me how much I spend, and as I manage the household accounts he never checks and I intend to put some money back into savings from potential astro sales and other personal income sources, so it should even itself out --------------- eventually.!!!! 

Carole 

This is going to sound a bit boring to some but we've (my better half and I) have had joint accounts from the beginning so all is transparent. We both have our hobbies with attendant expenses. Stuff is discussed and agreed with any particularly pricy item saved for.  Works for us and I can sleep easily at night.

18 minutes ago, Alfian said:

This is going to sound a bit boring to some but we've (my better half and I) have had joint accounts from the beginning so all is transparent. We both have our hobbies with attendant expenses. Stuff is discussed and agreed with any particularly pricy item saved for.  Works for us and I can sleep easily at night.

Fully agree and it's what I and Mrs W have always done.
Why tell porkies about money or anything for that matter, if not trouble lies ahead.

38 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Ian. that's not boring at all. My wife and I always acted like this and never had arguments about money.

In the early 90's I worked a lot of the time in Paris and Caen and with cash machines being not widely distributed we chose to have separate accounts so that I didn't spend more and leave her with little for the kids.

I've never asked or borrowed a penny from her and help her out when she needs more, however I have always had my toys and always will, its what makes me what I am and she accepts it, she doesn't ask what I spend and knows what my reply will be if she does, "I work Hard and long hours, so will spend what I need" She does take an interest in what I do and sees the value, we are fortunate that although far from rich, we can spend on nice things on the old adage of "you can't take it with you"

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

We also.

With joint finances I have a limit on what I can buy unannounced but to be fair have never had any refusal for larger purchases (and there's been some crazy stuff over the last 10 years!)

So long as I don't go crazy my better half is pretty understanding and knows my hobbies are expensive ?

My wife thinks scope size and cost are relative, she went catatonic when she saw what i paid for my Lunt60. Then a year later, when i set up my 12" lightbridge in my basement she took one look and i thought i was going to have to use my CPR training, I had to explain that cost is not relative in this case honey lol.

I couldn't enjoy stuff bought with a lie - too expensive! My partner and I have a set amount set aside each month that goes to dedicated individual fun accounts although the money comes out again if we are short that month (which seems to be most months). We have joint access to all the accounts through online banking so everything is open. 

I know this is a somewhat tongue in cheek thread but we also have always had joint accounts and our own spends each month plus birthday money, Christmas etc and I keep money from sales of gear etc to recycle. This probably means about £1k per annum (plus my sales) each which is pretty good for a hobby in my case).

In truth as long as it's not over the top, I could not care less about cash left over going to Julie's clothing and shoes fund (she always spends more than her budget ?).  I am perhaps old fashioned but live by the happy wife, happy life philosophy. ?

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

There are two questions here

1 - Is it okay to lie to your partner?

2 - Is it sensible to post evidence of the deception on an open internet forum available to anyone on the planet?

Probably not.......no going back now ?

In all seriousness though as said my Mrs is great and I have bought a Fair few bits recently that she is all good with I just treated myself to some extras that I fancied with saved up money. 

Work hard and treat yourself and those around you and most importantly enjoy it, life’s to short ?

We've (largely, but entirely) got around this problem by each having a financial arrangement whereby each month a set amount of money is paid in to each of our personal accounts.  This is money is to spend on ourselves with no need account for the expenditure.  Any expenditure I make above this amount has to be financed by selling stuff.  It seems to work for us.

Archived