Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What German optics do you own?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I have a Zeiss lens for my camera, a pair of 7x50 Zeiss binoculars & a Zeiss Abbe Barlow lens. Not sure if my AP & APM diagonals are Zeiss made. 

How do you rate them when you look through them?

baader BBHS, baader Herschel wedge, Zeiss zoom, docter, baader vip .. I think that's all as the rest is Japanese plus a few bits from the US. ?

edit:  the coming APM-UFF 30mm, Lunt/APM HDC 20mm (who knows where this comes from.. US I suppose, but now it's labelled APM..)

----------------------

A side comment.

To me German products are very reliable and of excellent quality. Over the years, my tastes seem to converge towards: Manfrotto for medium/light photo/video tripods, Berlebach for medium/heavy duty tripods, German/Swiss mount heads, Japanese refractors, American classic dobsons, Japanese/German eyepieces, 100 deg American eyepieces.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How do you rate them when you look through them?

The binoculars are classic marine 1970s West German Carl Zeiss, so very bright, steady with some astigmatism off-centre but good for day viewing.

Camera lens is a Zeiss Touit 50mm 1:1 macro and portrait. Quiet smooth auto focus or manual. Light weight in a magnesium alloy housing, excellent sharness and colour rendition wit my Fuji X-T2.

Zeiss Abbe barlow is as invisible as a barlow can be I think. It betters my TV 2.5x and I have used it on the Moon with a Pentax XW 7mm (so effectively a 3.5) and my FC100DL, with no loss of visual image . 

19 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The binoculars are classic marine 1970s West German Carl Zeiss, so very bright, steady with some astigmatism off-centre but good for day viewing.

Camera lens is a Zeiss Touit 50mm 1:1 macro and portrait. Quiet smooth auto focus or manual. Light weight in a magnesium alloy housing.

Zeiss Abbe barlow is as invisible as a barlow can be I think. It betters my TV 2.5x and I have used it on the Moon with a Pentax XW 7mm (so effectively a 3.5) and my FC100DL, with no loss of visual image . 

Thanks very much, interesting.

I've owned a Zeiss Abbe Barlow and really enjoyed it, similar opinion to you.

It would really be good to hear more from you in terms of your own observational activity and using your kit, beyond just its acquisition.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

It would really be good to hear more from you in terms of your own observational activity and using your kit, beyond just its acquisition.

Agreed Stu. As a fellow Tak owner, it would be good to hear what Richard ( @25585) thinks of his newly acquired Tak 36595 Extender...

I read much of the questions and research. But haven’t seen any “in use conclusions”... Unless of course i’ve missed something ?

Bresser scope, Badder zoom, various Badder filters, omegon colour filters, omegon wide field bins,APM Hershel wedge. Probably other stuff. I've bought all the above from an astro shop in Germany, so I'm calling them all German. Not sure. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I appreciate that Stu. I really can't add much, if anything, to what others have already said, I feel - very good write-ups here. Nothing much seen by me except the Moon & Jupiter lately, which though great, on their own can be too samey. GRS on the latter and its moons are always fun to watch, almost like living things. The Moon is unchanging. Looking forwards to cooler days, lower pollen count and darker nights in a month when DSOs start to become visible again to try out my dobs properly.

Anyway, physio on my shoulder next week will hopefully help it's recovery and I will be able to carry heavier OTAs outside again, try the Hotech collimator, loads of other stuff & maybe re-introduce my Tak in working rig to the forum with its new 1.6x extender + a mass of ep trials for later. 

A Towa GEM, APM diagonal, Fullerscope Mk III mount, and perhaps another ep case to arrive, but that's it for postie to deliver. Down to the mundane now.

28 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I appreciate that Stu. I really can't add much, if anything, to what others have already said, I feel - very good write-ups here. Nothing much seen by me except the Moon & Jupiter lately, which though great, on their own can be too samey. GRS on the latter and its moons are always fun to watch, almost like living things. The Moon is unchanging. Looking forwards to cooler days, lower pollen count and darker nights in a month when DSOs start to become visible again to try out my dobs properly.

Anyway, physio on my shoulder next week will hopefully help it's recovery and I will be able to carry heavier OTAs outside again, try the Hotech collimator, loads of other stuff & maybe re-introduce my Tak in working rig to the forum with its new 1.6x extender + a mass of ep trials for later. 

A Towa GEM, APM diagonal, Fullerscope Mk III mount, and perhaps another ep case to arrive, but that's it for postie to deliver. Down to the mundane now.

You really have been stocking up on astro gear lately. I agree, too hot,too bright at night...............bring on Sept. Also, good health to us all. I'm not 100% myself, but hope to be soon.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

You really have been stocking up on astro gear lately. I agree, too hot,too bright at night...............bring on Sept. Also, good health to us all. I'm not 100% myself, but hope to be soon.

It's complete now, apart from bits & bobs. I could sell some but the £s loss makes it too depressing.

Have a feeling that post-Brexit & trade tariffs etc will push up prices, in addition to general inflation, so glad its all here now.

If Baader is German-made I have more, but have not counted any as unsure.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I second that Richard. You have some superb equipment and clearly know your stuff, a lot of members on here would really value your thoughts, comparisons and observations - literally!.. me included ☺

Dave

Archived