Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

3 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

A new spider came in by the post this morning! It's a very nicely made aluminium spider, with a black matte coating, for my Sky-Watcher 130P-DS. It is said to improve shape of the spikes (no more misalignment leading to double spikes), and helps the scope hold its collimation. It isn't cheap, I believe it's made in Germany (here is the manufacturer if anyone's interested: https://www.backyard-universe.de), but since this scope cost me almost nothing, I thought why not!

AB6C2A1C-7427-4BF5-8A86-76C041281431.thumb.jpeg.47bbdffa637c7362c048e3bebbfaac74.jpeg

That looks really nice- I was contemplating the one from Artesky in Italy- looks v similar but maybe not the same

3 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

I am gutted!

Been waiting months for this!

Replacing the alloy tube on my VX14 for a Carbon one all the way from Germany and it arrives damaged 😪

she is a monster though!!

16730924167388568950874892873967.thumb.jpg.2aaa3d15049ac5a7783adf016f70ab5d.jpg20230107_114456.thumb.jpg.2db3de0043803cd6a9ed48fa4292073b.jpg

Oh no! How annoying. What are you going to do? Live with it? It should be reparable and most likely won’t materially affect stiffness or performance. I have two of his tubes, an 8” and a 12”. And did you get him to drill holes for you or will you do that? I got him to do mine for the 12” but on inspection decided I could do better myself and have done all my own on that and the 8” since. I pilot with a finger-held 1.5mm to start and move up the bit sizes to end up with really nice accurately-placed clean holes. And a hole-cutter run backwards for the focuser-hole.

Magnus

edit: down Brighton or Lymingyon way there must be some boatbuilders who use carbon who would easily be able to effect a repair. Near Staines in Middlesex I know of Carl Douglas Racing Shells who would be able too (Carl is a good friend of mine and repaired a cracked carbon bike-frame for me a few years ago).

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Oh no! How annoying. What are you going to do? Live with it? It should be reparable and most likely won’t materially affect stiffness or performance. I have two of his tubes, an 8” and a 12”. And did you get him to drill holes for you or will you do that? I got him to do mine for the 12” but on inspection decided I could do better myself and have done all my own on that and the 8” since. I pilot with a finger-held 1.5mm to start and move up the bit sizes to end up with really nice accurately-placed clean holes. And a hole-cutter run backwards for the focuser-hole.

Magnus

It is very annoying but things happen I guess. There is a big hole in the box that lined up so easy to see it's the courier!

I have emailed Klaus with pictures so will see what he can get back from them.

no holes yet I thought I would do them myself.

Dave

• Like 2

I wasn’t going to post this delivery from Santa as not a pure astronomy book, but having started it it has quite a bit of astronomical phenomena incorporated, and the rest of it will no doubt be of interest to the general population on here!

AEFA0A04-4AE4-48F0-B405-A35473945131.thumb.jpeg.d1792b8a040f5e266e038d8ddb6fce34.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Franklin said:

I'm intrigued. Are you planning on converting to a RoR or will the whole shed be on rails?

Im engineering the roof to slit in two along the ridge and roll and rotate off to each side.

rough animation of mechanism:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

I wasn’t going to post this delivery from Santa as not a pure astronomy book, but having started it it has quite a bit of astronomical phenomena incorporated, and the rest of it will no doubt be of interest to the general population on here!

AEFA0A04-4AE4-48F0-B405-A35473945131.thumb.jpeg.d1792b8a040f5e266e038d8ddb6fce34.jpeg

got the very same one from xmas (well.. no surprise.. i asked for it)

also got a signed copy of Black Holes by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw 🙂

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 14:50, Sabalias said:

I'd love to be able to upload a photo of my lovely new Skywatcher EvoGuide 50 but, even though FLO dispatched it yesterday and DPD gave me a delivery slot today, it has not materialised. Instead it's been taken back to the depot with no reason given 🙄. Perhaps I'd be a little more forgiving but its the second time it's happened with DPD delivering from FLO; so I'll request carrier pigeon delivery next time.

Note - not FLO's fault; DPD is about as effective as a chocolate fireguard.

Pleased to say that my guide scope arrived safe and sound later that day. No idea if the fuss I made persuaded DPD to re-dispatch it but I’m grateful either way. 

Stu

My first ever Lunar only books!

IMG_20230110_103429726.thumb.jpg.4b30b53ac0588f8ba8f7c8fdaf4eb26f.jpg

There's a great  little SGL back story to these. 

A couple of weeks ago I posted this thread here on the lounge..

..it was slightly mischievous but  genuinely true, I have always felt very conflicted about observing the moon, and it's effect on my observing of other objects during it's monthly cycle.

Anyway, the thread generated quite a bit of discussion both for and against the Moon (with probably a majority in favour), and I described a session that I had had on Plato, where for the first time I had spent a whole session just on the moon, compared to my normal "quick peek then move on"..

Soon after posting the thread, one of SGLs' biggest fans of lunar observing (and a very gifted planetary and lunar sketcher), Mike Hezzlewood, aka @mikeDnight, contacted me by pm and offered me, free gratis, the 4 assorted books on Lunar Observing and the Moon which you see above!

These arrived today, and I am chuffed to bits..

I now have no excuse not to read,  learn and observe the Moon far more moving forward!

I must just say a huge "Thank You" to Mike for his generosity, it really was very kind of him to make this gesture:headbang:👍.

Dave

IMG_20230110_103448291.jpg

IMG_20230110_103357370.jpg

IMG_20230110_103416842.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 18

On 05/01/2023 at 19:09, Nakedgun said:

~

For some time now I've wanted a Japanese 60mm f/15 to use on occasion, and it must be the collector in me that is driving this, as I have now obtained my second (as yet, untested) refractor this month, with another(!) arriving next week. I hope they do not all prove to be duds, otherwise this search will continue. 

Raining now, but a chance of some clearing late tomorrow. We'll see. 

868199883_IMGP0473-Copy.JPG.c6c98a701ee4a2053be2e581ebb10435.JPG

1919869536_IMGP0480-Copy.JPG.17cf91103b93a1be363bba6f6bb82298.JPG

The blue patch just a teaser this afternoon.

~

Arrived today:

1703612010_IMGP4302-Copy-Copy.JPG.ea72875435f30535bbe606fbca2e6503.JPG

We ever get any decent weather around here I'll post a shot of the entire rig.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, F15Rules said:

My first ever Lunar only books!

IMG_20230110_103429726.thumb.jpg.4b30b53ac0588f8ba8f7c8fdaf4eb26f.jpg

There's a great  little SGL back story to these. 

A couple of weeks ago I posted this thread here on the lounge..

..it was slightly mischievous but  genuinely true, I have always felt very conflicted about observing the moon, and it's effect on my observing of other objects during it's monthly cycle.

Anyway, the thread generated quite a bit of discussion both for and against the Moon (with probably a majority in favour), and I described a session that I had had on Plato, where for the first time I had spent a whole session just on the moon, compared to my normal "quick peek then move on"..

Soon after posting the thread, one of SGLs' biggest fans of lunar observing (and a very gifted planetary and lunar sketcher), Mike Hezzlewood, aka @mikeDnight, contacted me by pm and offered me, free gratis, the 4 assorted books on Lunar Observing and the Moon which you see above!

These arrived today, and I am chuffed to bits..

I now have no excuse not to read,  learn and observe the Moon far more moving forward!

I must just say a huge "Thank You" to Mike for his generosity, it really was very kind of him to make this gesture:headbang:👍.

Dave

IMG_20230110_103448291.jpg

IMG_20230110_103357370.jpg

IMG_20230110_103416842.jpg

What a lovely gesture. Bravo @mikeDnight 👏🏼

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

The postman brought this Stella Lyra 30mm UFF, despatched quickly and safely from @FLO as always. 

Looking forward to improved widefield views in 2” modified ST80 and GSO 10” f5 Dob! 

B3B3EBA1-BE0A-4CBA-871B-DFBE4484460B.jpeg

Excellent bit of kit, SM. I've had the Celestron equivalent for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed with it. However, you might need an extension or fiddle around with its insertion into the drawtube to achieve focus - I do on my 8" dob.

• Thanks 1

Can’t fault FLO for their packing.

Or their speed of dispatch.

Just ordered a pair of lens caps for one of my TAK LE’s and a pair of Baader filter draws.

Here before I can even tell the wife I’ve ordered them. That conversation is about to happen.

And no chance of these breaking.

DD0A2DEB-D8C4-449F-80E2-27871704210A.jpeg

D945EB0F-C6A5-489B-A087-679135A49816.jpeg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Excellent bit of kit, SM. I've had the Celestron equivalent for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed with it. However, you might need an extension or fiddle around with its insertion into the drawtube to achieve focus - I do on my 8" dob.

Good tip, I’ll check that out and comment in the EP section. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joef said:

B97FF683-676F-4FD6-A1ED-F17DFFC24FF2.thumb.jpeg.c0d0b3fb3aed9935e535e5bbd3bf369f.jpeg

A 200PDS and a HEQ5 PRO, arrived Monday and yesterday, all I need now is some clear weather to try it out. Dave the cat has always been here. 

Dave? I would say that Dave is the most uncat like name I have ever heard, but I know someone with a cat called Mandy Button Biscuit! ;) Cool scope, though and awesome kitty.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Joef said:

B97FF683-676F-4FD6-A1ED-F17DFFC24FF2.thumb.jpeg.c0d0b3fb3aed9935e535e5bbd3bf369f.jpeg

A 200PDS and a HEQ5 PRO, arrived Monday and yesterday, all I need now is some clear weather to try it out. Dave the cat has always been here. 

It seems Dave the cat doesn't care at all about your new scope, dewey the duck like it! CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Dave? I would say that Dave is the most uncat like name I have ever heard, but I know someone with a cat called Mandy Button Biscuit! ;) Cool scope, though and awesome kitty.

Dave’s brother is called Dougal!! 

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It seems Dave the cat doesn't care at all about your new scope, dewey the duck like it! CONGRATULATIONS!

I didn’t even realise we had a duck, must pay more attention. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I’ve just found out, the ducks name is Derek, and apparently we’ve had it a few years. 

• Haha 2