Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Wonder what this can be?🤔

AA9DD978-A96C-4A29-9A36-C046E7EEA268.thumb.jpeg.323b57707649ef52f856653504582c9a.jpeg

I'm starting to feel like a time traveller when I check this thread.  Serious Deja Vu.

WHAT DAY IS THIS??!  WHAT YEAR!

Woops.  I got confused for a moment and thought Astro_dad had bought another dob

Edited by Ratlet
I'm an idiot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

We get our bill, due in December. It can be split into two payments if desired - December and April.

Same here, except different months. 

Got a good deal on an AZ-GTi and Celestron 80mm.  Absolutely delighted as these were both on my ToDo list this year.  Keen to get both out and tested ASAP.  Will probably test the mount with the 130PDS and the ST80 manually.  Guess I'ma refractor guy now though.  Need to keep away from the Takahashi catalogue, I'm turning 40 this year though...

PXL_20230113_143326984.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Have you tried it with the standard bearings, Ian?

No I have just started building the base and I’m going to use it for first light without doing anything to it, to ensure that it’s optically sound. Once this is determined then I’ll do the modifications. Had I modified anything and the scope was a dud then the warranty is void.

So the AZ5 mount wasn't my last purchase of the year. Scratching an itch here and this fine little skywatcher Skymax 90 scope was calling to me like a siren on the rocks, on @FLOwebsite, so I pulled the trigger arrived yesterday. Will have to look into some tube rings for it in the future as its side mounted on the AZ5 but I can work with this as is for now. Really looking forward to double star hunting, lunar observing and planetary when possible. Had to order a rigel finder as my telrad was just to big to go on it. Looks over mounted on the AZ5 but it's so light when carrying up and down 2 flights of stairs and moves lovely with virtually no wobbling when moving it. Also will move the arm of the AZ5 to the more upright position to give more clearance on the finderscope. 

Lee 

IMG_20230112_174234.jpg

IMG_20230113_171451.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
Spelling
  • Like 11

Arrived yesterday from FLO, a 30 mm StellaLyra Ultra Flat Field eyepiece.

I have been looking for some time for a low power wide field eyepiece that is both not excessively bulky and heavy, and will be sharp to the edges of the field of view in an f5 instrument, and after reading good reports hope that this will fit the bill. At first glance it appears to have as advertised, a genuine 70 degree field of view, unlike the 50 mm SuperView eyepiece that I once owned, which originally claimed a 60 degree APFOV, but only turned out to be around 45 degrees. 

Although at 70 degrees the APFOV is some what smaller than that of a 31 mm Nagler or 30 mm ES 82, but at 570g, although no lightweight, this is less than half the weight of the others, and at £179, about 1/4 and 1/2 of the price respectively. I do have a 36 mm 72 degree Baader Hyperion Aspheric which is even lighter, but the edge performance, especially in my f5 Newtonian, is not that great. 

John 

Stella Lyra 30 mm.JPG

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Arrived yesterday from FLO, a 30 mm Stella Lyra Ultra Flat Field eyepiece.

I have been looking some time for a low power wide field eyepiece that is both not excessively heavy, and will be sharp to the edges of the field of view with an f5 instrument, and after reading good reports hope that it will fit the bill. At first glance it appears to have as advertised a genuine 70 degree field of view, unlike the 50 mm Superview eyepiece that I once owned, which claimed a 60 degree APFOV, but only turned out to be around 45 degrees. 

Although at 70 degrees the APFOV is some what smaller than a 31 mm Nagler or 30 mm ES 82, at 570g it is no lightweight but this less than half the weight of the others, and at £179, about 1/4 and 1/2 of the price respectively. I do have a 36 mm 72 degree Baader Hyperion Aspheric which is even lighter, but the edge performance, especially in my f5 Newtonian is not that great. 

John 

Stella Lyra 30 mm.JPG

I think you'll be pleased with that, John. I have the same EP (but branded Celestron) and it's excellent. It really is flat and clear to the edge, too.

• Like 1

Bought a new Telrad and 2” riser plate for my new dobsonian but I have now fitted a Starsense on it along with its own RACI. Going to mount it on my also new to me Celestron Nexstar 8SE. I also got a dew shield for my 12” dobsonian.

357B0CE0-F2AE-4C44-8E81-5744AB69CD95.thumb.jpeg.40c46a8721595936f575ca5830e56a22.jpegBA219284-A64F-4645-B3B8-F28A4EE5B686.thumb.jpeg.29ffc28d347a796957187ceb2da56cc9.jpeg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Last but not least today A Celestron Nexstar 8SE which was very kindly delivered to me by @Stu1smartcookie. Thank you. Fitted my spare new Telrad with a 2” riser to it. Now to work on the visual back, diagonal etc.

577D08DA-DD60-4B62-B79F-676B138DB114.thumb.jpeg.3ab8d18b9e00b9859ed99078c8ed4611.jpeg52D95F5F-F910-471E-8A17-A436873AC528.thumb.jpeg.fa4b661b5a371c69e283bf9c41d2f295.jpeg6E89E919-0A0E-436C-9F2B-1985A8F9D897.thumb.jpeg.49c05757f96a1242d52b7978d097d158.jpeg

Ian , it was a an absolute pleasure meeting you today . That scope looks great mate . We were home at about 6 … after the terrors of the Bicester Village lol .

Looking forward to reading the report on that huge Dob mate . 
Stu

by the way. Elena was well impressed that you knew the Russian singer ( browny points there mate ) 

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ian , it was a an absolute pleasure meeting you today . That scope looks great mate . We were home at about 6 … after the terrors of the Bicester Village lol .

Looking forward to reading the report on that huge Dob mate . 
Stu

by the way. Elena was well impressed that you knew the Russian singer ( browny points there mate ) 

:) 

Don’t worry I’ll provide you with both first light reports as soon as these dammed clouds depart. I generally try to avoid the Bicester centre as it can be an expensive place to frequent. Once again a huge thank you to yourself and your lovely very understanding wife. PS:- Have you confirmed with Paul that you dropped off his AZ EQ6 at mine? As I would like Paul to give me 24 hours notice of his collecting it so that I can arrange to be at home.

Regards    
          Ian 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Don’t worry I’ll provide you with both first light reports as soon as these dammed clouds depart. I generally try to avoid the Bicester centre as it can be an expensive place to frequent. Once again a huge thank you to yourself and your lovely very understanding wife. PS:- Have you confirmed with Paul that you dropped off his AZ EQ6 at mine? As I would like Paul to give me 24 hours notice of his collecting it so that I can arrange to be at home.

Regards    
          Ian 

Just about to contact him now , Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

Magically super fast delivery by @FLO of my new Rigel quickfinder. Ordered on Thursday night, dispatched by royal mail 1st class on Friday and arrived on Saturday morning . fitted to my new Skymax 90 (homemade dew shield too) as the telrad was just to big. made acgeap quick dew shield out of some craft foam and looking forward to first light now. Not for some time I think. 

IMG_20230114_112858.jpg

IMG_20230115_142449.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So here is the field flattener that I collected from @bosun21. Looking forward to trying it in my ED80 … maybe Monday evening . 

45C1BCC7-2907-46AC-8DA2-5190ACD69183.jpeg

Ensure that you get the spacing correct . With the 15.5 mm spacer already attached and if you leave the black 11mm spacer on your camera (ZWO) then all you need to add is 22mm of spacers (spacer) accounting for the 6.5mm sensor depth. Good luck Stu.

• Like 1