SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Oh myyyy... accessories for something-or-other, can't say what 😜

DSC_0445_DxO.jpg.e2b4660ce2461c0df798bc226f71fe00.jpg

Could it be a TAK- FS60 CB by any chance?🤔 (sorry I didn’t see the previous duplicate post DOH!)

Edited by bosun21
Amendment
  • Haha 2

5CD1C071-9DCD-4FE9-B755-6F24C3AACA5F.thumb.jpeg.9e73aa033ae572dd0fbd425f51bea0cc.jpeg

Sellers remorse indeed - so full circle! Thanks to @FLO for amazing service. A 10” Dob delivery within 24hr of order at one of the busiest times of the year… A back to basics Dob to be upgraded and modded over 2023. 

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

5CD1C071-9DCD-4FE9-B755-6F24C3AACA5F.thumb.jpeg.9e73aa033ae572dd0fbd425f51bea0cc.jpeg

Buyers remorse indeed - so full circle! Thanks to @FLO for amazing service. A 10” Dob delivery within 24hr of order at one of the busiest times of the year… A back to basics Dob to be upgraded and modded over 2023. 

Is it my imagination or have your tried a lot of dobs?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Is it my imagination or have your tried a lot of dobs?

No you’re quite correct. Selling my previous 10” was something I regretted (was a false economy in the end as was no less convenient than an 8”) and having lost money I decided to re buy a “basic”  10” and possibly upgrade to StarSense  and the other extras the SL offers over the next few months. 

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

No you’re quite correct. Selling my previous 10” was something I regretted (was a false economy in the end as was no less convenient than an 8”) and having lost money I decided to re buy a “basic”  10” and possibly upgrade to StarSense  and the other extras the SL offers over the next few months. 

Excellent.  My goal next year is to get a 10" dob.  I was a bit worried it might be too big so possibly just get an 8, sounds like the 10" is the way forward.

• Like 2

So after selling my very small frac I needed an 80mm to replace it . It was a toss up between the Evolux 82 and the tried and tested and popular evostar 80ed 

Being 90% visual in this hobby I went with the Evostar , as the scope has the fpl53 glass and a longer focal length . 

I actually bought the Evolux first but decided to take it back without opening it . 

A crazy day but thanks to Simon at the Widescreen Centre  a rewarding one . 

Happy Christmas to everyone . 

Stu 

20221224_193417.JPG

20221224_193344.JPG

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Excellent.  My goal next year is to get a 10" dob.  I was a bit worried it might be too big so possibly just get an 8, sounds like the 10" is the way forward.

The 8” Dob is the perfect size for many. However, the Celestron StarSense 10” Dob was the best scope I’ve owned for observational astronomy, but such is the lack of clear skies it was an expensive asset sitting idle most of the time and with other demands on time and financial resources it made sense to trade off to the still excellent 8” SL. What I learned though was that having the Heritage 150p on hand meant that for my situation it was rarely worth the extra effort of taking the 8”outside when the ultra portable Heritage provides so much. Hence for me personally it was a false economy. A 10” though provides enough separation from the 6” to make it worthwhile taking outside when a longer session is likely (and frankly no less manageable than an 8”) and although more basic, the SW version provides a better value equation given my own situation. That was my logic-others experiences will naturally differ and things will change over time.  Of course it does mean  I now have a very nice 8” SL to put up for sale shortly after Christmas!

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 4

Wife got me a 12mm starguider for a nice addition to the collection.

Mother in law absolutely knocked it out of the park though.  M48 extension tubes and some metric Allen bolts.  No more hack sawed leftovers from up the shed!

PXL_20221225_071634838.jpg

• Like 10

Santa brought me some upgrades for my Skymax 127 Mak :D

Baader Skysurfer III RDF & A do-it-yourself Autofocuser upgrade kit (Skywatcher Autofocuser, Mini Dovetail, L-Bracket, GT2 Pulleys & Belt)

Using a 60 Tooth pulley on the Skymax, and 20 Tooth pulley on the Focus motor, for a 3:1 ratio, makes for a slower focus, but dialled down to the slowest speed allows for a super fine focus adjustment, will give it a few test runs at this ratio and if it works I may add the HiTecAstro unit to change focus straight from my PC!

xm1.jpg

xm2.jpg

• Like 12

My youngest daughter gave me this desk calendar for Christmas, I think you are supposed to tear off each day and throw it away, but each page has a wonderful image, quite a few of the objects are new to me so I will enjoy seeing if any of them are suitable targets for imaging.

EED2B6BC-C84C-4E36-A696-6B3D22A35DF5.thumb.jpeg.e01f6b9057821b83b6523c44ed5bfab7.jpegE742FCC7-450B-4E52-9470-DC1E2159BD6A.thumb.jpeg.864a4d590d52ded9b27542589c23de29.jpeg

• Like 7