SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

35 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Bought a 2nd-hand Newt, my first one! 

It's a Vixen R200SS, 8 inch F4. Interestingly, you can get an x1.4 extender for it, which turns it into an F5.6 and 1,120mm FL scope. Might be an option come galaxy season. 

Based on the specs, i was expecting it to be light (just 5.3 kg) and it really is. It's also quite compact too, at just 70cm long, so should be easy enough to manage. With only having a belt-driven HEQ5-Pro, i would never go for a normal 200/800 sized Newt, so i'm really hoping the mount will be up to the job. We shall see!

The previous owner was unsure how old it is, maybe the mid noughties. The mirror needs a good clean, but I won't be touching it until I've seen what it can do. 

Now to start collecting Newt accessories, collimation tools etc. It never ends 😂

20211021_154758.thumb.jpg.fced5b3693b468d23892a0ff3a14fec4.jpg

44 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Bought a 2nd-hand Newt, my first one! 

It's a Vixen R200SS, 8 inch F4. Interestingly, you can get an x1.4 extender for it, which turns it into an F5.6 and 1,120mm FL scope. Might be an option come galaxy season. 

Based on the specs, i was expecting it to be light (just 5.3 kg) and it really is. It's also quite compact too, at just 70cm long, so should be easy enough to manage. With only having a belt-driven HEQ5-Pro, i would never go for a normal 200/800 sized Newt, so i'm really hoping the mount will be up to the job. We shall see!

The previous owner was unsure how old it is, maybe the mid noughties. The mirror needs a good clean, but I won't be touching it until I've seen what it can do. 

Now to start collecting Newt accessories, collimation tools etc. It never ends 😂

20211021_154758.thumb.jpg.fced5b3693b468d23892a0ff3a14fec4.jpg

Love the look of these scopes Ciaran, all the best with it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Love the look of these scopes Ciaran, all the best with it.

Thanks Adam. 👍

It will be a while before i use it I'd say. Lots to get done to get it (and me) imaging-ready, so it'll happen when it happens. The RC6 i bought this time last year is still in it's box, Lol. Which reminds me, i need to sell that now. 

Ok, this is an odd one and you'll all be thinking I'm a bit mad.

It actually turned up yesterday, but the postman delivered a roll of Flocking Material...

Now, I've got an NP101is - flocking material?? Well, in front of the front lens element group there is about 25mm of threads which is actually the bit that the screw in lens cap screws into. But it only screws in 5mm.. and having done a few (crude) torch shining tests to see how much scattered light there was in the tube, some light was bouncing off the threads a bit. The retractable dew shield is flocked.. so I thought why not flock 20mm of the threads so that only the threads needed to screw the cap in are exposed. 

20mm of flocking later and it's done. It's superb material to use, and when left overnight the adhesive seems to harden off a lot and it's rock solidly attached. I used some low tack tape beforehand to pick up any rogue fibres. It does appear to have cut down the scattered light (at least from what I can see on my crude tests). Either way, it's neat, and even if the benefit is minimal, it's hardly an expensive mod. 

IMG_3610.jpeg

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

She brought me the ability to create Mkiii of my DIY pier….

(the anti vibration engine mounts.)

45B83433-63CA-463D-A8B3-BF4AA8B4B1CC.jpeg

Just wondering where your vibration is coming from. I’ve never had the need for such on a permanent pier 🤔

9 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Just wondering where your vibration is coming from. I’ve never had the need for such on a permanent pier 🤔

I don’t have any vibrations as such, but stainless steel has inherent spring which is noticeable when setting up. So this is just an experiment to see if that is deadened , if it does then any unwanted, unseen heavy footed visitors might also be eased. That and they only cost a couple of quid each 😂 

• Thanks 1

On 21/10/2021 at 08:30, Laurieast said:

A Foucault tester! ? 

After I had looked up what a Foucault Tester is and does, I can see why you suggested this DIY item.  I have never had the patience to grind an astro-mirror and have spent my cash mainly on refractors and assorted lenses.  So, good try but no coconut!

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 08:34, Pixies said:

The Squid Game?

or something to do with diffraction slits?

I'm very fond of barbecued 'squid' but have yet to succumb to the Netflix series. Not too fond of dystopian futures - seem to have been 'living the dream' of late. Probably a lot nicer in Edinburgh! You are however quite correct with the second guess. - I am trying to build an adjustable diffraction slit for my latest DIY spectrograph.

23 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

I don’t have any vibrations as such, but stainless steel has inherent spring which is noticeable when setting up. So this is just an experiment to see if that is deadened , if it does then any unwanted, unseen heavy footed visitors might also be eased. That and they only cost a couple of quid each 😂 

Understood. I was wondering whether they might actually induce vibrations, or flexure. I think I’d prefer something that was rigid. Will be interesting to see how you get on

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Understood. I was wondering whether they might actually induce vibrations, or flexure. I think I’d prefer something that was rigid. Will be interesting to see how you get on

Agree, it’s 100% experiment, might just end up with leather washers to eliminate any resonance there might be.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, johnturley said:

The 17 mm Type 4 looks massive for just a 17 mm eyepiece. 

Yes it is. It is a 2-inch eyepiece. I also have the Nagler 16 T6 which is only 1mm FL different, but comes as 1.25-inch. It’s is about the same size as the N11 T6 in the photo

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Yes it is. It is a 2-inch eyepiece. I also have the Nagler 16 T6 which is only 1mm FL different, but comes as 1.25-inch. It’s is about the same size as the N11 T6 in the photo

Here’s the 16 and 17mm

53CFF125-AAAA-45DD-98B4-BCEF1DDFD880.thumb.jpeg.c8bc3cf1409fde26a64a939f7bd0d770.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Amazon basics large camera bag. Good value for £20. To hold some other buys. Another Amazon purchase - A5 light pad. Samsung T7 1TB SSD drive to store my mediocre attempts at astrophotography, Optolong L-Pro filter and lucky for some a 13mm Tele Vue Nagler with thanks to @callisto.

bag.jpg

PXL_20211023_152814825.jpg

• Like 7