SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Hi Stu, yes it was the one on eBay. Advertised as 9” f8 but it’s actually 8.5” (I centre spotted it so measured it) and by my measurements actually f7.5 but that’s fine- it should be excellent on Jupiter and Saturn if only it weren’t raining grrr! Off for a week- so will have to delay first light- can’t wait 😊 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Hi Stu, yes it was the one on eBay. Advertised as 9” f8 but it’s actually 8.5” (I centre spotted it so measured it) and by my measurements actually f7.5 but that’s fine- it should be excellent on Jupiter and Saturn if only it weren’t raining grrr! Off for a week- so will have to delay first light- can’t wait 😊 

No matter, I'm sure it will perform very well. I'm getting mine on a dob mount as it is pretty unwieldy otherwise.

On 05/07/2019 at 19:19, Gina said:

If it isn't fitted with a UK plug, check the voltage, it might be for US mains of 110 or 120v.

The voltage is okay Gina. It just had a euro plug. Bought a adapter yesterday and it charged just fine.

Glen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlenM said:

That's taking the mick. Certainly wouldn't accept anything like that.

Delivered to my place of work and I didn't sign for it...  there be a warning.  

The person sending it did not do a very good job in packaging it up. Far too much space and virtually no padding or packing.....oh... and no insurance.

Having the delivery firm....no names..... apparently run over it with a fork lift truck didn't help the situation.    It's available for sale if anybody wants an OTA  that won't roll away on a slope   ;)

On 06/07/2019 at 19:14, markse68 said:

This beauty 😍

Well ok it wasn’t the postman- had to drive to Cambridge to pick it up. And yea ok it’s not really beautiful- pretty damned ugly really 😉 But beneath its ugly exterior lies a Jim Hysom 8.5” f8 mirror in immaculate condition- it’s a beast! And this surprised me in a really nice way- a really nice clever easy to adjust secondary mount and the crusty old focuser has a fine focus (geared) knob! And is really nice to use with no sloppiness. Anyone know if the focuser and secondary mount are Fullerscope parts? The finder is. Of course it had to be cloudy today...

oh and it’s got a little door so you can get in there with a feather duster to remove cobwebs!

The whole tube assembly looks like a Fullerscope to me. The focuser, access door, primary cell and tube end trim are surely Fullerscope components. The secondary mount/spider aren't like Fullerscope components that I've seen.

My own 6.25 Fullerscope of early 80's vintage came with a David Hinds mirror which was standard for the "Export" models I think.

I can't say I've heard of Jim Hysom (sorry Jim!) but along with that Dob mount you have a fine classic looking scope there! Happy stargazing :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul M said:

The whole tube assembly looks like a Fullerscope to me. The focuser, access door, primary cell and tube end trim are surely Fullerscope components. The secondary mount/spider aren't like Fullerscope components that I've seen.

My own 6.25 Fullerscope of early 80's vintage came with a David Hinds mirror which was standard for the "Export" models I think.

I can't say I've heard of Jim Hysom (sorry Jim!) but along with that Dob mount you have a fine classic looking scope there! Happy stargazing :)

Thanks Paul, judging by the number of extra holes in the tube I think this one has had a few lives and this may not have been the original mirror or secondary mount. I’ve not read anything but good things about Jim Hysom and his mirrors- I think he was a very respected maker http://www.europa.com/~telscope/tsenglnd20C.txt

I did get a very brief first light on Sunday but only a glimpse of the moon before it disappeared behind clouds, and the gas giants never showed, but the moon was wonderfully contrasty and richly coloured- a definite step up from the 4” Tal I’ve been using, so I have high hopes for this one 😊

Would be interesting to find out how the likes of his and David Hinds etc mirrors stack up against modern high quality mirrors 🤔

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

On 07/07/2019 at 11:18, GlenM said:

The voltage is okay Gina. It just had a euro plug. Bought a adapter yesterday and it charged just fine.

Glen.

I got my ioptron az pro set up last week - same problem with the charger- a bit frustrating but I got the euro to uk adapter and like you, mine charged fine. The mount is awesome. Make sure you get the set up dead level though, I have found you have to re level slightly when you load it with scopes and counterweights. Once level properly it works like a dream. You will love I’m sure, I know I do.

what scope are you planning to use it with?

steve 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I got my ioptron az pro set up last week - same problem with the charger- a bit frustrating but I got the euro to uk adapter and like you, mine charged fine. The mount is awesome. Make sure you get the set up dead level though, I have found you have to re level slightly when you load it with scopes and counterweights. Once level properly it works like a dream. You will love I’m sure, I know I do.

what scope are you planning to use it with?

steve 

Hi Steve,

The only scope I have at the moment is my Borg 77ED II. I have been looking at short tube newts lately... Shameful I know.

Glen.

1 minute ago, GlenM said:

Hi Steve,

The only scope I have at the moment is my Borg 77ED II. I have been looking at short tube newts lately... Shameful I know.

Glen.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I de dobified my 8 inch revelation newt and with a bit of weightbbalancing and the pier extension it works fine on the mount. It’s at the weight limit though.

a short tube newt will work great on this mount. 

Steve 

Just might build one instead of buying one off the shelf. GSO 6" f/4 optics probably. I have a Sharpstar 61 EDPH ordered, but it's been 2+ months wait already. I'm not the most patient of people.

Glen.

Arrived today from China via a £12.00 handling fee from Royal Mail! With duty of £24.00 and a 3 week wait from order date, I would have been better off spending a few quid more and getting it from Flo! There be another lesson.

Zwo ASI385MC from Zwo via Ali(not so)express.

IMG_20190709_165233.thumb.jpg.a9e1a24133d3cc92f773339063b6d92f.jpgIMG_20190709_165255.thumb.jpg.1c0b21786c102e1fc75921a8dbffcb7f.jpgIMG_20190709_165319.thumb.jpg.9309d3165f535fb83b034afbbb85843a.jpg

Bring on the clouds! 

• Like 1

Thanks to Ian King joining forces with FLO, I managed to get a 1.25" 3nm Ha astrodon filter. 

But the postman signed for it, but still put that it was signed by me. I was at home so there was no need for this. A signed for letter or parcel should only be signed for by the recipient, indicating that it has been delivered safely and undamaged. 

The signature is only a squiggle. 

DSC_3564.JPG

_20190710_005601.JPG

Not the postman, but I picked up this Heinz 57 of a dob on the way up North on business. I'm mainly interested in it for the Orion Optics dob base, which is the correct height to cope with my 8" f8. Orion Optics don't make them this height any more.

Will be interesting to try the f8 alongside the 8" f6 which is on there at the moment. It is the old type with very basic collimation cell and thick two vane support, but the secondary looks nice and small. I've actually got a later version cell I may be able to upgrade it with.

Quite pleased as it will now allow me to get much more use out of the f8 scope; I'll put it on my EQ platform which will give me tracking for planets and lunar at high power.

20190710_085715.jpg

20190710_085728.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Camera Take 2 😁

Bought an Altair GPCAM3 290M last week and when testing it was so underwhelmed by it I sent it straight back. Maybe it was just a defective one? 🤔

Anyway then I ordered a ZWO ASI290MM. More expensive than rhe Altair but hopefully will perform as expected. 

2FCF43AC-B763-41F8-A51E-DDB7D0FE6E50.jpeg

1BB6D447-3143-4105-B7BE-03F62CD497FD.jpeg

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 15:57, Paul M said:

The late Jim Hysom, a good friend of mine in the past, was the owner and chief optician at AE Optics. He was one of the best opticians in his day and his mirrors, like those of David Hinds would stand with the current premium makers.    😀

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The late Jim Hysom, a good friend of mine in the past, was the owner and chief optician at AE Optics. He was one of the best opticians in his day and his mirrors, like those of David Hinds would stand with the current premium makers.    😀

I'm sure his name must have passed my brain cell at some point in the past!

What I like about hand figured mirrors is that well, they were hand figured and nurtured by a craftsman.

The mirror in my 250mm skyeatcher seems to be very nice. But I only ever boast about ownig a David Hinds mirror :)

I have the utmost regard for craftsmanship.

• Like 1

This older classic EQ mount landed here today - Vixen GP in Celestron colours. A nice alternative for my 100-120mm refractors and I'll be getting at least the RA axis driven for relaxed high power observing. I've not owned a GP for a long time and I'd forgotten a) how well made they are and b) how light they are for their capacity. Nice Japanese manufacturing :smiley:

P1090159.JPG

• Like 7