Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

19 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I’m interested to know what you think Glen as I have 2 other of this John Moore series of books and may consider getting this one too. If anyone else has this and could privide an opinion, I’d appreciate it.

steve 

I have had an interesting read over the weekend. I have enjoyed the book. I didn't buy the book to observe any IMP, it just piqued my interest. some of the images didn't transfer well to paper though.

Glen.

Thanks to @johninderbyI also purchased this solar viewer from China. It came within 7 days and cost just over £17 with postage. Fitted the solar viewer in a finderscope bracket and both the main refractor and solar viewer were perfectly in line.

I used a sharp pencil to outline the display screen to make it more easy to view.

I won't show a photo as @chaz2bhas already done a good job above.

However, I attach a eBay link just in case anyone else wants to purchase this handy little device.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-Solar-Finder-Scope-Fully-Metal-Mount-Dovetail-Slots-Mount-Dovetail-Slots/323318485106?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gina said:

I made my own (as usual).

I did as well Gina using a Pringle tube but it really was too large. I felt that £17 for a handy small metal device, which also included a separate dovetail plate, was a good deal. In fact I am going to use the dovetail plate on my 12" Dob because it will hold my 80mm Finderscope better as it has two holding screws.

No longer available under the Svbony brand with the ball head but still available under a different brand.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Gravity-Solar-Finder-Used-For-Sun-Positioning-Total-Solarscope-Eclipse-Partial-Eclipse-Observation-TelescopeW2563AB/32815681374.html

Its identical to this ball head from Amazon though and quite cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0189228CS?tag=stargloung-21

Edited by johninderby

17 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

None of those links show the mini ball head? Is that a separate purchase?

Now why why why why why why!!!!! hasn't every other manufacturer thought about a finder on a ball head like that? BRILLIANT!!! i will now adapt finders onto small ball heads like that one.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I did as well Gina using a Pringle tube but it really was too large. I felt that £17 for a handy small metal device, which also included a separate dovetail plate, was a good deal. In fact I am going to use the dovetail plate on my 12" Dob because it will hold my 80mm Finderscope better as it has two holding screws.

Yes, that is a good price and probably well worth it for what you get and the saving of effort.  I'm finding that applies to a number of things.

21 hours ago, jock1958 said:

However It’s beautifully engineered and an absolute delight to use 😃

That is a pretty focuser i must say, and looks like its built to last at that!

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 11:40, Telescope40 said:

Hello.  Got this earlier this week.  Sure, Everyman and his dog has got a SW 9 x 50 finderscope.  The OCD kicked in and I now have one for each of my 3 scopes. This one was courtesy of SyedT. 

I have 3 of those, somewhere on earth there is a landfill where tractors are moving huge mounds of those around, world governments will meet in Geneva to discuss hurling them into space in giant nets towards the sun.

Edited by Sunshine

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

That is a pretty focuser i must say, and looks like its built to last at that!

Looking at the way it’s put together I think it will last a long, long time.

Its not cheap but IMO a worthwhile addition to the Tak FC 100 when you are trying to eke that last bit of focusing performance! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaz2b said:

Adjust it?

you place on scope and align, small hole on front projects a dot on the rear screen, there’s no adjusting.🤔

I've just received one too and found that it was perfectly aligned for the Moonlite attached to my ZS66 straight out of the box.

When the bright spot is in the centre circle, the solar disc is pretty much in the centre of the FOV of my 12mm Ortho. 

Very pleased with it. 

Interested to know how @johninderby

removed the white disc to highlight the etched lines. I unthreaded the retaining ring but the disc wasn't going anywhere without persuasion with a blade so I've left it alone. 

A hoarde arrived last week, well with the exception of one item that was collected in person. 

As per the post above, a Svbony solar finder, hope you're charging a commission @johninderby 😉.

A Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head after reading positive reviews by @paulastro.

And finally a new to me Baader Cool Ceramic wedge that I collected. 

All set up here for a quick WL solar session before the sun disappeared behind the trees. 

IMG_20190520_195802.jpg

IMG_20190520_195844.jpg

IMG_20190520_200528.jpg

IMG_20190520_200512.jpg

IMG_20190520_200308.jpg

• Like 4

Great looking setup @AdeKing

Which refractor is that? Looks a bit WO to me?

I'm intrigued by these Manfrotto heads too. Can you reach the Zenith with it? Looks like it will be very stable and balanced/smooth to pan/tilt.

43 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Interested to know how @johninderby

removed the white disc to highlight the etched lines. I unthreaded the retaining ring but the disc wasn't going anywhere without persuasion with a blade so I've left it alone. 

Ade I never removed anything. I sharpened a pencil to a very fine point and simply followed the lines. It now looks the same as John's target area.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great looking setup @AdeKing

Which refractor is that? Looks a bit WO to me?

I'm intrigued by these Manfrotto heads too. Can you reach the Zenith with it? Looks like it will be very stable and balanced/smooth to pan/tilt.

That's my little WO ZS66SD Stu, probably my most used OTA by a long shot as everything I need for daytime terrestrial, solar and nighttime fits into its tiny flight case. 

I've not used the mount in anger yet and have not been able to balance it as well as my Mini Ercole.

However the friction on both axes is very progressive and so far I've been able to view up to about 70 degrees. 

This was an impulse buy after id read Paul's comments and saw a used one available for a good price at MPB. 

With the ZS66 zenith should be theoretically reachable as the OTA will probably fit inside the frame, though it will depend on how far out the drawtube needs to be in order to focus. 

However, as I don't observe right at zenith very often I'm not that worried. 

I'll let you know how we'll it works once I've had a proper play with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

After removing the ring poke a small hex key or something similar through the front hole and give the disc a tap. One tap and mine simply fell out. 

Thanks John. I'm a bit heavy handed so thought I'd ask the question before trying to remove it and ending up breaking it. 

40 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Ade I never removed anything. I sharpened a pencil to a very fine point and simply followed the lines. It now looks the same as John's target area.

Thanks Mark. 

On 10/05/2019 at 10:34, StarryEyed said:

PSX_20190510_103239.jpg.aae1fe1a8dc54dae28af6e0668f32fe0.jpg

On 10/05/2019 at 16:33, John said:

That eyepiece reminds me very much of the Aero ED 30mm - I wonder if they are related ?

That is a 30mm APM UFF (ultra flat field). It's slightly more than 70 deg (38mm field stop) and really well corrected till the edge. It weighs 556g and the eye cup is similar to the 20mm Lunt / APM 100 deg, but with a very comfortable eye relief of 22mm. The optical scheme is 9/5.

It's a very nice eyepiece and a keeper in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

That's my little WO ZS66SD Stu

Lovely little scope. Missed mine, which is why I got the TS72mm, but it's not quite as cute and compact as the 66.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely little scope. Missed mine, which is why I got the TS72mm, but it's not quite as cute and compact as the 66.

Yes an observing buddy has the ZS71 and despite only being 5mm larger in aperture it's an altogether bulkier scope. 

One of my best astro purchases so far. 

• Like 1

Below is a pic of my 393 with my SW 72ED, and it handles it very well.  In fact I've not bothered to use another mount for it since I first put the 72ED in it to try it out.  It also balances well when using my Baader Maxbright binoviewer with a couple of eyepieces.  As Ade says the axis can be tightened very securely, but you don't need too much tension when the scope is balanced.  This is extremely easy as the Manfrottos own 'dovetail' is several inches long and can smoothly be slid along and locked in position securely using a small lever on the mount - this takes only seconds and is very easy.  The fact that the axis tighten well if necessarily means it can be locked in position while you put on a binovoviewer for instance before you rebalance it.

The mount will nearly reach the zenith with my 72ED, the forks are about five to six inches deep which is what limits it.  Having said that, I can easily adjust one leg of my photo tripod the head is on if I need to reach the zenith, though I haven't needed to very often.

I love this mount and for a smallish scope it is truly excellent, having said that I have also used it with my Astro-Tech 102ED on it which is quite a substantial scope.  Excellent at low to medium power with this scope, and ok for higher powers too if it's not too windy.

I've also added a pic with the Astro Tech 102ED on the 393.

1267071990_PC041099RightsidedrawtubefullyextendedB.thumb.jpg.458b30b6f12c9bcf981c4e1880a0053e.jpg    1798406268_PC041108Pointingupwards.thumb.jpg.dee597fafee7ce8d6be2e7f80a6a8135.jpg

P1291448a.thumb.jpg.b7c9cfd783d688e61bd02cc5cc27095b.jpg   P1291450a.thumb.jpg.a5c52b89088006bf37c91793071ebb79.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1