SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

My new Hutech R&P focuser for my Borg 77 ED II. This is much better than the standard helical focuser that came as standard. The helical focuser gave up the ghost many weeks ago. Thanks FLO. Special thanks to Grant for sorting this out for me. Not forgetting Lisa for getting it to me.

Glen.

focuser1.JPG

focuser2.JPG

• Like 6

The postman brought me a new UGREEN USB cable for my QSI 683 WSG-8 camera 👍 Sadly it didn't solve my camera disconnection issue 🙁 However, I found a work-around that seems to be 100% reliable so I now have a good quality spare cable 😎

The postman also brought me a replacement 32Gb SanDisk memory card for my Disting 4 :icon_scratch: as the original one just died - great service from Amazon on both counts 😍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

The postman brought me a new UGREEN USB cable for my QSI 683 WSG-8 camera 👍 Sadly it didn't solve my camera disconnection issue 🙁 However, I found a work-around that seems to be 100% reliable so I now have a good quality spare cable 😎

The postman also brought me a replacement 32Gb SanDisk memory card for my Disting 4 :icon_scratch: as the original one just died - great service from Amazon on both counts 😍

I purchased a UGREEN 12v powered usb2 hub a couple of years ago. Not faltered yet.

Steve

• Like 1

Recently I got a single polarizing filter with a Herschel Wedge. Today I discovered a second long-forgotten single polarizing filter at the bottom of my bits box. No more Moon blindness!

12 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

I purchased a UGREEN 12v powered usb2 hub a couple of years ago. Not faltered yet.

That's worth knowing - thanks! I have to say that the cable looks and feels great and the outer sheath is of the type that remains flexible even when cold.

23 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Steve

23 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I also have a UGREEN 15m repeater cable that works great. Had my ASI1600 connected to the laptop indoors and it didn't drop any subs. Quality.

Got a parcel from FLO today. ( Of course, it's rained most of the day since! ) A Lunt Herschel Wedge; Polarising filter and some wonderfluid.

1756250770_08_06.19018-Copy.thumb.JPG.911096db540fa0787dbff9262ff61446.JPG

Now all I need is to improvise a half decent finder, as it seems simple enough and I dislike spending money on something I should be able to make myself.

Oh and of course some decent sunny weather, even though FLO keep wishing clouds on me! :angry2:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 2

Like many of us I suspect, I have accumulated a selection of finders, mostly that came with various scopes. In ascending quality-order: a SW 6x30 straight-through (never used); a SW 9x50 straight-through (never used) that came with my 300p newt I bought around a year ago; a right-angle SW 8x50 (never used) and an old-style TS-Optic 50mm RACI which I bought off a fellow SGL-ite. This last I have used mainly because it's RACI. But they're all, even the TS-Optic, obviously very cheaply made and a bit, well, nasty. So I caved in and ordered an APM 50mm erect-image finder, and I have to say the difference in quality between it and the others is immense, not least the fact that it'll take any 1.25" eyepieces...

IMG_5752.jpg

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Like many of us I suspect, I have accumulated a selection of finders, mostly that came with various scopes. In ascending quality-order: a SW 6x30 straight-through (never used); a SW 9x50 straight-through (never used) that came with my 300p newt I bought around a year ago; a right-angle SW 8x50 (never used) and a TS-Optic 9x50 RACI which I bought off a fellow SGL-ite. This last I have used mainly because it's RACI. But they're all, even the TS-Optic, obviously very cheaply made and a bit, well, nasty. So I caved in and ordered an APM 50mm erect-image finder, and I have to say the difference in quality between it and the others is immense, not least the fact that it'll take any 1.25" eyepieces...

IMG_5752.jpg

I’m interested how you get on with this as I might consider investing in one

• Like 1

This is to go in the observatory to allow me to switch between the PCs.  It's a bit of a gamble as I've not used a KVM switch for probably twenty years when it was all VGA and PS/2 rather than HDMI and USB.  We'll see how it goes though.

One nice feature it has is that it's remotely switchable, so I don't necessarily have to have it where I can reach the buttons.  One con is that it isn't wall-mountable.  If I want that I'll probably just 3d print some brackets for it.

switcher.jpg

James

16 minutes ago, JamesF said:

This is to go in the observatory to allow me to switch between the PCs.  It's a bit of a gamble as I've not used a KVM switch for probably twenty years when it was all VGA and PS/2 rather than HDMI and USB.  We'll see how it goes though.

One nice feature it has is that it's remotely switchable, so I don't necessarily have to have it where I can reach the buttons.  One con is that it isn't wall-mountable.  If I want that I'll probably just 3d print some brackets for it.

switcher.jpg

James

Looks like a nice bit of kit!
How many PC's do you run? I remember those old KVM switches, having to try and recall the top secret key combination to switch systems - trickier with several different brand KVM's in the rack 😆

• Like 1

There'll be one for each pier, so three, plus one (perhaps a laptop) in the warm room.  I have an HP EliteDesk mini for one of the piers, but the other two may well end up being RPi boxes or something similar.

Irritatingly, most of the switches I could find that have four connections (including this one) only support USB1 for the keyboard and mouse.  Fortunately since I don't use a "clever" keyboard or mouse I think I should be ok.

James