SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 23/05/2019 at 15:46, Sky-searcher said:

Postman delivered my Giant alt-az mount today. Thanks Zoltan! 1st inspection looks good!

I would like to know a bit about what these mounts are like to use if i may trouble you, are they strictly push only or, can they be locked then slow motion controlled? 

Can one adjust the friction? either move with slightest force or, tighten for heavier scopes? i have never used one, but they would be great for road trips where i bring my Mak, letting me leave the heavy GP mount at home.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

I would like to know a bit about what these mounts are like to use if i may trouble you, are they strictly push only or, can they be locked then slow motion controlled? 

Can one adjust the friction? either move with slightest force or, tighten for heavier scopes? i have never used one, but they would be great for road trips where i bring my Mak, letting me leave the heavy GP mount at home.

Hi, not had chance to use the mount as yet fully, so can’t comment in full. The mount is fully manual with no slow motion controls. Friction is adjustable on both axis with large adjusters. Not tried with scopes attached as yet, but head very fluid on its own. No sticky points when turning on both axis. Tripod is very sturdy & build quality good for price. So hopefully will be a winner 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Loads of SAO numbers in for double stars.

20190524_191139.jpg

Got mine the other day 😀 Brilliant. Used it the other night when it was clear. Best thing ever is that it’s organised by constellation and has SAO numbers and magnitudes and separations😁. With Goto it Makes finding doubles as easy as shooting fish in a barrel 🤣 If doubles are your thing then this is a must have. Wished I’d found it earlier. I also decided to use the etc 125 mak which I had kind of fallen out of love with a bit. Had a fab night of observing doubles. Back I love with it now. The other great thing about the book is that it has showpiece stars by constellation so you can really hone in on the best ones. Paul, you’ll really love this beautiful book.

steve

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Got mine the other day 😀 Brilliant. Used it the other night when it was clear. Best thing ever is that it’s organised by constellation and has SAO numbers and magnitudes and separations😁. With Goto it Makes finding doubles as easy as shooting fish in a barrel 🤣 If doubles are your thing then this is a must have. Wished I’d found it earlier. I also decided to use the etc 125 mak which I had kind of fallen out of love with a bit. Had a fab night of observing doubles. Back I love with it now. The other great thing about the book is that it has showpiece stars by constellation so you can really hone in on the best ones. Paul, you’ll really love this beautiful book.

steve

have been using Hass and got a load of SAO numbers from Eagle Creek and a very good friend on here but like you said this has transformed my double star observing.

• Like 1

I have lots of examples of Amazon wasteful packaging including a small box of spacers that came in a great big bag a few minutes ago but that beats anything I've received!

We had a fly screen arrive from Amazon this week.  The actual product packaging is about 1.2m long by about 8cm square.  The Amazon box it arrived in was about 1.2m x 0.9m x 0.2m!

James

36 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I presume Amazon packers are on minimum wage? 🤔

Your assumption is correct but I don't see the relevance. My assumption is the vast majority of people working NLW perform admirably considering the financial reward. Bad day, nearest box to hand, having a bit of a laugh? - way too many variables to pin it on £8/h

• Like 1

I have been told that there is a sound financial reason for this wasteful practice: Apparently, by having only a few different carton sizes, they save due to quantity discounts. But you'd think those adapters could have been sent in one of those tear-strip cardboard envelopes that they use.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Ordered same time and arrived at the same time. Bigger stuff came in the cardboard envelope? 

D28458C4-55DD-4685-BD16-40F8CC79BA1F.jpeg

Ridiculous! The sooner packagers have to pay the full environmental cost of packaging and its disposal, the better!

• Like 2

Just got a new mouse mat, which whilst decent indeed, my use of my GoPro as my camera needs to improve...

1095395641_GOPR0006-Copy.thumb.JPG.0a0d44249bc95d9a0d70066847f4276c.JPG

It is in fact the normal shape so, slight distortion there, sorry about that. :blush: For £ 5.99 off Amazon, not bad though...

• Like 4