NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shortlisted!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But it's up against another collection of out of focus blobs asking to be taken Siriusly...

TELEMMGLPICT000135730032-large_trans_NvB

Credit: Steve Brown

About time smarties experimented with new flavours and sizes, they have been stuck in a rut for too long. ;)

(I quite like Steve Brown's image above, I just don't think it belongs with the others. If there was a creative/experimental category I'd be happy enough with it. I also question whether it has any scientific merit, I suspect the duller colours are more an artifact of the camera (short exposures) than our atmosphere.)

Here's my 7 year-old nephew's attempt on Sirius, I gave him my camera to wave around:

31963738576_9c540e503d_b.jpg

And here's one of mine, I had a go at writing his initials:

31191593703_8a306c1bf3_b.jpg

Think these were both 8 second exposures with a 50mm lens. Good fun, and probably a truer representation of scintillation than the smarties platter. But none of the above can match the experience of watching Sirius with the naked eye.

Archived