Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart Nebula from Les Granges

gnomus

This is looking like the final image from our week at Les Granges.  We used the Dual Takahashi rig over 2 nights to capture:

3 hours of RGB

4 hours 15 mins Luminance

11 hours Ha

Olly had some previous data which corresponded roughly with our framing so that got 'chucked in' too.  That was another 4.5 hours of Ha and another 4 hours (total) of RGB.  

I make that 26.75 hours...

HaLRGB FINx1800.jpg

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

More good stuff Steve, achieved more in a week than I do in a year :Envy::Envy::Envy:

I'd love to go to LG but I'd have to get a divorce first :grin:

Dave

And these damn lawyers are so expensive...

If ever there was an advert for Les Granges... Your output from your week there has been beautiful. Great work!

The images do make me wonder though... They have a certain 'Penrice' look to them. (Ed - which is a good look by the way!). This makes me wonder - is that look down to the Penrice Processing Preference or is it due to the sky quality and equipment used?

Whisper:  Between you and me, Photogav, I think that Penrice had got wind of the fact that, under the influence of Darth Wilson, I had been turning towards the dark side.  For some of these images, he wouldn't even let me use DBE.

To master the force, you must find purity within. No amount of DBE or Pixel Math will help your search. Shun Darth Wilson and his pretty computer generated images. The dark side is strong with him, but do not be tempted... PS is the only way.

(Well, given that it's fireworks time of year, I thought I would light that blue touch paper...!).

P.S. Other processing applications are available!

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

To master the force, you must find purity within. No amount of DBE or Pixel Math will help your search. Shun Darth Wilson and his pretty computer generated images. The dark side is strong with him, but do not be tempted... PS is the only way.

(Well, given that it's fireworks time of year, I thought I would light that blue touch paper...!).

P.S. Other processing applications are available!

You have quite clearly had almost as much to drink as I ...

I think that Penrice had got wind of the fact that, under the influence of Darth Wilson, I had been turning towards the dark side.  For some of these images, he wouldn't even let me use DBE.

He he,, that reminds me of the tussle I had chez Ollys when he kept wanting me to use "short cuts" in Photoshop and I insisted on doing it the drop down menu way as I would never remember short cuts and find that just as easy.  It was the one with the strongest will who won, Olly stopped telling me what the shortcuts stood for, so I lost that battle. Ha ha.  All good fun and I learnt a lot as well as having those lovely dark skies.

Carole 

Regarding DBE, I always use it for colour because the eye is so sensitive to chromatic gradients. I can't remember ever using it on the Ha, though, since the combination of the dark site and the filter give a reliable background. With luminance I think it can be useful on 'easy' background skies like galaxy starfields but if you are chasing the very faint stuff you have to be wary of its being damaged by the DBE process. Rogelio Bernal Andreo said that he didn't use it when chasing the Integrated Flux Nebula, for instance.

These last images with Steve have convinced me to go for more L and RGB though, even when the target is principally NB. For a while I've been doing lots of HaRGB or HaOIIIRGB but you don't get the faint background sky structures that way. And it will come as no surprise that working with 25 hours' data per image is something one could easily get used to...

Olly

Super image Steve - greatadvert for your skills and Olly's location.

On DBE - i find that it is often destructive even on lum especially at the linear stage.  I will run on RGB to sort out colour gradients but try to avoid using now on lum, instead reverting to other methods if required.  I think what it needs is a means to amplify the mask it generates and the apply it in a weighted fashion.  I find it often adds unnecessary noise and 'breaks' the detail that we all work so hard to acquire.

It does have a place in the processing workflow but results should be assessed and if they are not good exclude it.

Paddy  

Archived