Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

2 minutes ago, John said:

I've observed Venus, Uranus and a few nice doubles so far. I'd like to try 32 and 52 Orionis plus E & F Trapezium of course. Might try Sirius if the seeing is decent. And I'll probably have a look for comet Panstarrs too. Plus other stuff that seems a good idea as I go along :icon_biggrin:

Yourself ?

Not sure yet, which was one reason I asked! Looking for a bit of inspiration 😁

I tried for Panstarrs the other night with no luck, was definitely on the right place but couldn't see it at all. Perhaps just too bright around here?

I have been enjoying the open clusters around Cassiopeia so may continue with more of those.

• Like 1

Open clusters are nice targets. Some have an interesting history when you dig into it a bit.

I always enjoy observing M35 and seeing the much fainter, more condensed and more distant NGC 2158 in the same field of view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ags said:

I tremble at the thought of setting up that beast. Hats off to you. On a simple practical level, how do you manage it?

Thanks for your comment, Agnes 😀

It's not too bad to set up. I take the mount out first, then the counterweights and finally the telescope (though I only fit the finderscope, etc, once the 'scope is on the mount). The optical assembly itself weighs about 20kg, and it did find it difficult to lift onto the mount at first. However, I found it easier after a while, once I got more used to handling it.

I do have option of setting up a smaller and lighter telescope sometimes, on the same mount, if I don't feel like setting up the 12" Newtonian.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 19:24, John said:

Open clusters are nice targets. Some have an interesting history when you dig into it a bit.

I always enjoy observing M35 and seeing the much fainter, more condensed and more distant NGC 2158 in the same field of view.

On the subject of FOV - I have been viewing open clusters and enjoy using my 48 mag - 25mm BST to view most of the larger clusters. What would be a good low power eye piece in my 200p to view targets such as the double and M45 in full? I would like to achieve what the full object looks like in the finderscope but a bit more detailed.

Thank you

Barry

10 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

On the subject of FOV - I have been viewing open clusters and enjoy using my 48 mag - 25mm BST to view most of the larger clusters. What would be a good low power eye piece in my 200p to view targets such as the double and M45 in full? I would like to achieve what the full object looks like in the finderscope but a bit more detailed.

Thank you

Barry

If you can go for a 2 inch eyepiece you will get a larger true field of view. 30mm - 35mm would be an effective focal length. The skys the limit with regard to budget really - the 32mm or 38mm Skywatcher Panaview are around £80, the Aero ED's a little more but a bit better corrected as well. Other 2 inch wide fields such as Explore Scientific etc go upwards in price and quality from there.

Used you might get something for around £50 if you keep your eye out.

Then you have the question of filters, when you come to those - 1.25 inch or 2 inch ??? - it never ends does it !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

If you can go for a 2 inch eyepiece you will get a larger true field of view. 30mm - 35mm would be an effective focal length. The skys the limit with regard to budget really - the 32mm or 38mm Skywatcher Panaview are around £80, the Aero ED's a little more but a bit better corrected as well. Other 2 inch wide fields such as Explore Scientific etc go upwards in price and quality from there.

Used you might get something for around £50 if you keep your eye out.

Then you have the question of filters, when you come to those - 1.25 inch or 2 inch ??? - it never ends does it !

Thanks John, So from a field of view perspective 30 to 35mm range in 2" ideally.  budget wise I would be looking at the lower end currently so if I could get one of the above around the £50 mark that would be good. Assuming that's possible? I will keep my eyes open.

Now you have touched on filters I am intrigued 🙂 Do you use filters to improve the view of open clusters?  I have only tried using my OIII on Nebula. Don't get me started on the Veil and North America Neb - I cant find them anywhere...

Baz

Filters of this type work on nebulae. For better views of clusters and galaxies dark skies are the answer.

I use good quality O-III and UHC (mostly the former). Best start a new topic in the eyepiece section for more info :smiley:

You could also add a 40mm 65 or 68 degree eyepiece to that list. I have one which was very reasonable and gives good results.

This image shows the fov of four different eyepieces in your scope, overlaid on M45 as an example.

From inside to out they are:

32mm Panaview

30mm 82 degree ES

38mm Panaview

40mm Paragon

38 or 40mm would seem to make most sense to me.

20200122_120954.jpg

• Thanks 1

A clearish night and no work clashed last night. A rare occasion of late and a second chance to try the AZ-GTI, this time on the steel tripod. Surprising solid it was too with minimal vibes and no need for aged goalkeeping reflexes after brushing against the kit!

I spent a whole two hours whizzing around the sky. Seeing wasn't great but several open clusters, doubles and M42 were enjoyed before it was time to pack up.

IMG_20200126_223828522.thumb.jpg.db5d2eb7c74a15324260c823ca63098c.jpg

The eyepiece is a 2" 30mm Aero ED I picked up used before Chrimbo. Very nice it is too. Sharp and it really shows off the ST120's widefield capability.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

I actually had 3 hours of almost clear skies 🌌  last night. A rare occurrence around these parts. Ive been chopping for on the bit to get a guiding rig up and running after an unsuccessful first attempt last week; and last night it all came together. Battery fully charged, mount polar aligned; laptop behaving, EQMOD behaving, star aligned perfectly, guide scope focused, phd2 and guiding working(eventually) and first target panstar dead centre. Over the moon literally then a huge rain cloud came and put a dampener on everything. 

5ACDFB85-5148-4CE6-8C9E-A6DFC898E1F7.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KevS said:

I take it that the somewhat patriotic carrier bag (Bangor briefcase) is an essential piece of the set up🤣?

aye for the time being, keeps the dew of the extension lead and me away from the local but distant A&E. As for the patriotic flag, its on all carrier bags from Tesco's here in Wales. You certainly wouldn't see a cross of St George on bags in England, can you imagine the offence it would cause lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, John said:

The distinctive lines of a Vixen classic and the Nagler zoom of course ! :thumbright:

Well spotted John! It gave sharp views on doubles and Venus even at 3mm ie x300! Very nice optics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First night with Mesu and 250px (and OAG). It moves the scope around like it doesn’t exist 😮 

I actually had to move the weights up the shaft when I took of the 180ed.  The 250 is light, but a wind sail  

79DA6615-E53D-494F-BF19-7A9FE0D3485D.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr

There’s not very much very interesting that I can find these past few evenings of gloriously clear skies from my location so set up this evening for early view of Venus and hopefully Uranus- needed a bit more height to see over the fence 😉 not quite night yet though 

7C17FE19-0120-4876-BCDA-2D43AED4986D.jpeg

My ED120 set up on my Vixen GP in preparation for what turned out to be a disastrous evening of observing last night.

IMG_20200323_201917.thumb.jpg.67440ece7ac8a2e03691a56d1c7fb3fc.jpg

Have the ED100 set up on the same mount tonight and am hoping for better luck this evening.

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 7