NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Not quite night yet, but getting ready to run some software trials

IMG_20190829_204625.thumb.jpg.2927ea10c0825cc17f0b7dc5fd7c5450.jpg

The monitors are still a bit bright, but I don't want to turn them down as I need to see them in daylight so will get some nd gell, possibly 0.9 will do.

• Like 1

Now that's an idea, Dave.  I was wondering how to dim the monitors in my own observatory.  The laptop actually has a control to do it, but the normal monitors don't.  An ND sheet I can lift on and off would be ideal.  You don't think 0.9 will be too much?

James

Here are a couple from my session last night in Pembrokeshire. The second one was taken by a kind chap who happened to be doing some widefield AP at the same time and emailed me the image.

20190828_212625.jpg

image1-3.jpeg

• Like 23

• 2 weeks later...

This from a nice session on Friday 13th. 

Seeing was rather good for Jupiter and Saturn given the low altitude using my Stellarvue SV102ED and binoviewers. 

Nice GRS transit and Cassini looking good on my second target. 

Got a few friends in as well - Albirieo, M11 M13 Polaris double -( first time - never looked before - DOH ) 

AZ GTI played ball and I’m impressed with this ere OTA. 

thanks. John 

8C4D4120-7E26-43C6-B9E4-21DD156D0D31.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 7

Not so much in action but airing off the dew after action. Took a few days off work and having a few much needed days holiday in Romney- with my scope 🤦‍♂️😂

Bortle 4 skies!! My first with a scope and oh what a difference it makes compared to my local 8-9! Milky Way clearly visible in perfect clear skies for my first beautiful night and easy to get lost in the blanket of stars not visible from home. The Ring was much more defined and the Great Globular spectacular😊 (I could actually see very clearly the stars of Hercules! 😉) Sadly for some reason (maybe coastal humid air?) the planets were really poor and I’ve seen much better from home 🤷‍♂️ Looking forward to a few more clear nights and will have to set the alarm for 4am one morning as Orion was right there clear as a bell when I got up for a pee 😉

edit for actual action photos 😉- sunset in Kent and if you zoom in Jupiter’s the only thing visible- and nice and high and sharp (😊) at 7:30pm!

AEA36384-1A0A-4D7E-B338-D12AAAA0BDD1.jpeg

10FB0851-3641-4E91-86C0-B86AD6288331.jpeg

69CDFEA1-1038-418C-AAB6-FF901360E061.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

Here is my lunar imaging set-up - just in my driveway...   I am finding it hard to persuade myself to go to better places for my imaging since I bought all this stuff - though I deliberately made choices for portability.  I know my driveway is not the best place but its so much easier on my limited time budget!   Been a while since I have been able to shoot - moon will be low, but a convenient time for me the next few  days - hoping I can at least get out with one of my lenses (I have adapters to fit my ZWO ASI183MM camera), I doubt the C8 will be worth setting up and my 6 inch Newt you can see in background is out of collimation.  (I have given up for now on getting that sorted without having someone that actually knows what they are doing right next to me.  haha 😏 )   

Cheers all

Mike

i-dnFnts8-X3.jpg

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
clarity
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Here is my lunar imaging set-up - just in my driveway...   I am finding it hard to persuade myself to go to better places for my imaging since I bought all this stuff - though I deliberately made choices for portability.  I know my driveway is not the best place but its so much easier on my limited time budget!   Been a while since I have been able to shoot - moon will be low, but a convenient time for me the next few  days - hoping I can at least get out with one of my lenses (I have adapters to fit my ZWO ASI183MM camera), I doubt the C8 will be worth setting up and my 6 inch Newt you can see in background is out of collimation.  (I have given up for now on getting that sorted without having someone that actually knows what they are doing right next to me.  haha 😏 )   

Cheers all

Mike

Lunar imaging does not benefit much from a very dark sky, because the moon itself is so bright. What matters most is the seeing quality.

Nice picture !

Ragnar

4 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Cheers all

Mike

i-dnFnts8-X3.jpg

I don't think it matters where you observe or image from it's all about enjoyment of the hobby. If you're having a good time that's what it's all about.

Glen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don4l said:

A bit too much weight perhaps?  I keep meaning to get a lighter finderscope an put it on the Tak.  Of course, if I did that, then I would consider having a dual rig!

20191016_183014-1.jpg

I love my trusty gold tube ED80.  Nice setup.

This was a few weeks ago before baby arrival.... capturing Saturn's photons.  Lovely quiet spot in my front garden looking down the street which ismt ideal with all the asphalt.  Though the grass is far too soggy to set up here now.20190919_200330.thumb.jpg.68ed5d451d435800bebc0d150b07b4ae.jpg

• Like 4

My Meade LX200-ACF and TS ImagingStar71, busy capturing something in Orion. The small tripod is carrying an Android tablet that controls both dslr:s - and it doubles as a dining table. I cannot think about a more relaxing moment than this. Just a little wind, the cameras are clicking on, the sounds of nature - and the sky. I think I will have another cup of tea, and that bag full of sandwiches is not empty yet...

Good to have a few images like this when clouds have prevented any astro activity for so many weeks now. It helps keeping the spirits up.

Ragnar

gear.thumb.jpg.93aa5f1d14fb777799ab58cb98fd5024.jpg

Edited by lux eterna
spelling
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, lux eterna said:

My Meade LX200-ACF and TS ImagingStar71, busy capturing something in Orion. The small tripod is carrying an Android tablet that controls both dslr:s - and it doubles as a dining table. I cannot think about a more relaxing moment than this. Just a little wind, the cameras are clicking on, the sounds of nature - and the sky. I think I will have another cup of tea, and that bag full of sandwiches is not empty yet...

Good to have a few images like this when clouds have prevented any astro activity for so many weeks now. It helps keeping the spirits up.

Ragnar

gear.thumb.jpg.93aa5f1d14fb777799ab58cb98fd5024.jpg

What a photo!  I love it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Walton Astro Group had an impromptu meet up last night to celebrate the first clear skies here for weeks! Rather on the chilly side but great to do some observing with good friends. After a few hours the kit (and us) were pretty frosted up.

Here’s a shot of my visual setup in action. A double night vision setup with a C11  Edge and Tak fsq85 on a Panther TTS-160 mount. The Tak gave widefield 5-6 degree views with the C11 used for closeups and smaller objects. Dew  strips everywhere!

B034D0A1-D8B6-4796-915E-89653505FB30.jpeg

• Like 7