Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

The new & improved 150/750 Star Discovery was christened by Jupiter & Saturn. Twenty minutes before Mars was viewable, the clouds rolled in...

Despite poor transparency and dew, the view wasn't bad at all. The 9x50 finder was removed to shave off weight while mounted on the AZGTI & the setup worked flawlessly. 👍 The TS Optics focuser is very precise & nice to use. Image shift eliminated and focusing shakes very minimal, settling down after a second or so.

173086545_IMG_20200615_0231581252.thumb.jpg.c65157be9ca2e1a22f50224363fc5b1a.jpg

The mottling on the dewy tube is the shadows of leaves lit by an LED street lamp...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 8

58 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Fabulous set up Stu. How do views through the Mewlon compare with something like the C9.25?

So hard to say and be objective Mark. I didn’t use binoviewers with the C9.25 for one thing and never used them side by side in the same conditions. I think I’m right in saying that stars are tighter in the Mewlon, more refractor like (although with diff spikes or course) and the contrast appears better, quite possibly due to cooling benefits of the open tube and the optical quality. I have split some tough doubles like Zeta Herc in the Tak which i never managed in the C9.25, although I’m sure a C9.25 is more than capable of it so that is likely either cooling or seeing differences, or even me just getting better observing these doubles.

The Mewlon is certainly a very manageable size, whilst having a genuine 210mm aperture (the primary is over sized at 220mm). The finder is amazing - never shifts and so solid you can use it as a carry handle!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This little thing arrived today. Looks a really nice bit of kit, amazingly compact for 150mm aperture and sits well on the Ercole Mount, would likely be fine on the Giro-WR too, ideal for travel.

E3AD2AD8-2FF9-4A61-8AF2-5BCC5824C084.jpeg

FC44552E-7CEB-40D4-BF3E-3AAE01390BA9.jpeg

• Like 8

Two "90's" in action tonight - 90mm F/11 achromat refractor and 90mm maksutov-cassegrain. Very similar optical performance. Nice views of Saturn and Jupiter :icon_biggrin:

Both these scopes together cost less than 100 quid - don't tell the expensive ones that were left indoors tonight :rolleyes2:

IMGP6468.JPG

• Like 6

On 13/06/2020 at 23:52, BillyBoyBoy said:

20200611_220944.thumb.jpg.51a3c92041d7efc8438d4e6bc3c0233c.jpgMy 16" Orion XX16g dob setup here in Texas.  That's a 16 x 20 foot piece of outdoor turf that in the summer, i stargaze barefoot.  Good times!

Where in Texas ????  I am way up in north Texas.

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

And a couple more.  One with the central Milky Way setting in the west, and another looking east just before sunrise.  Both from the same session which started at 2am and went to dawn.  I  had just tracked the HST across the sky at 80x when I took the second image.

1573622564_MikyWayTak-1.jpg.4486761f8001ca101c6ee2c4b1b0a682.jpg

2044422531_TakatDawn.jpg.a64535b0a57b400990bb7240c21399aa.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I think you know you are an imager at heart when you prefer looking at, rather than looking though, your scopes.

I like that, guess I am definitely an imager then 😉

That said, is that the lesser spotted Mesu handbox I see there, Adam?  A rare sight indeed 🙂

Mesu.jpeg.e84338f4d6c2370759a4ac577eebcadb.jpeg

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

And a couple more.  One with the central Milky Way setting in the west, and another looking east just before sunrise.  Both from the same session which started at 2am and went to dawn.  I  had just tracked the HST across the sky at 80x when I took the second image.

1573622564_MikyWayTak-1.jpg.4486761f8001ca101c6ee2c4b1b0a682.jpg

2044422531_TakatDawn.jpg.a64535b0a57b400990bb7240c21399aa.jpg

Wow Matt. That first image is magazine cover material.  Nice

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

My Tak FC-76 under the Carina region of the Milky Way in the very early evening on Benguerra Island in Mozambique last year.  Shorts and t-shirt astronomy.  I can always get behind that (and those skies!)

1593404098_Carinascope-1.jpg.65e91306c1e3a37df3e217831f5d1f4b.jpg

Magnificent photos Matthew. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markse68 said:

Nova hunting with Jupiter, Saturn and the moon behind a pretty cloud

Is it me, or does anyone else set that illuminated cloud as a 1930s racing car with driver and steering wheel?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Is it me, or does anyone else set that illuminated cloud as a 1930s racing car with driver and steering wheel?

Yep.  I saw it too.  Perhaps I have also been licking one two many (if that is possible) lenses.😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's either a hamburger or a humpback whale.

Excuse... it is a new phone with the camera(s) in a different place...

It is definitely a UFO, because, i would like it to be one, therefore it is.

On 15/06/2020 at 05:52, Stu said:

So hard to say and be objective Mark. I didn’t use binoviewers with the C9.25 for one thing and never used them side by side in the same conditions. I think I’m right in saying that stars are tighter in the Mewlon, more refractor like (although with diff spikes or course) and the contrast appears better, quite possibly due to cooling benefits of the open tube and the optical quality. I have split some tough doubles like Zeta Herc in the Tak which i never managed in the C9.25, although I’m sure a C9.25 is more than capable of it so that is likely either cooling or seeing differences, or even me just getting better observing these doubles.

The Mewlon is certainly a very manageable size, whilst having a genuine 210mm aperture (the primary is over sized at 220mm). The finder is amazing - never shifts and so solid you can use it as a carry handle!

How often to you use the Mewlon, compared to say a 4" refactor? Looking at a 210 Mewlon or 120-130 APO which one would you pick/use the most? I'm thinking of the Mewlon due to larger aperture for DSO and also good on planets, however as ever the cool down time is a concern. If I purchased a Mewlon I feel I'd just stick with the 4" APO as its ready to use and and never get the benefit of the Mewlon as I'd be waiting for it to accumulate.

7 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

How often to you use the Mewlon, compared to say a 4" refactor? Looking at a 210 Mewlon or 120-130 APO which one would you pick/use the most? I'm thinking of the Mewlon due to larger aperture for DSO and also good on planets, however as ever the cool down time is a concern. If I purchased a Mewlon I feel I'd just stick with the 4" APO as its ready to use and and never get the benefit of the Mewlon as I'd be waiting for it to accumulate.

The Mewlon has moved on now, but I would certainly consider another in future. It was/excellent optically and I used it more than most of my larger aperture scopes. It was great when used on the AZ100 having push to to find harder targets.

Ultimately I think my heart lies with a 130mm apo for the reasons you mention, cool down and pure simplicity of use. You will lose out a little in resolution and light obviously but should still get cracking views.