Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

First light of this setup: Altair 102EDT F/5.6 & 2600MM with filters. Filter offset for a first time and the Lion Nebula if the sky allows. 

IMG_20240413_223708__01.thumb.jpg.f43e2c3c27560305e3752f871f111a75.jpg

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 7

When it’s finally clear for extended runs, of course it’ll be Moon affected! With the way this year has been so far, even with the Moon I’ve decided to make the most of it with two rigs on the go, and a pair of binos for observing.

Main rig of the Starfield 102 with an ASI 585mc on the HEQ5, with a smaller rig of the trusty Canon 800D with SY135 on the star adventurer operated with an AsiAir. One of the few times I’ve had a chance to use the Air that I purchased back in the Black Friday sales! Not 100% sure on it though, I really like Nina and the laptop control so I’m struggling to see if I’ll keep the Air long term.

IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.e3a8815df4945c545a536763750dc8c0.jpeg

IMG_9570.thumb.jpeg.915dde49d884237a8e5ae6e57d005355.jpeg

• Like 9

Swapped out my RedCat setup for the Esprit120 which I think I'll be using in visual mode for the next few weeks as it is starting to get light well into the evening. I bought the Esprit 120 about a year ago and I still haven't really put it to work on imaging -I've been having too much fun using the RedCat. So this is really the first proper shakedown with the 120.  Tonight I will be mainly looking at the Moon - it looks glorious, nice and sharp and no colour fringes whatsoever. I'm looking forward to playing around with this over the next few weeks, I'm going to keep it in visual mode until the autumn arrives.  

Jim 

thumbnail_IMG_2923.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2922.jpg

• Like 12

Early bedtime meant I couldn’t wait for moon to be visible in my back garden so the driveway it was. Good thing lunar observing amd street lights aren’t an issue.

A1EC0311-9C7F-44C5-928C-EDCC1497D483.jpeg

• Like 12

4 inch fun and games 🙂

After posting this:

It occurred to me that I have not actually compared these scopes "back to back" for quite a while. So here they are, side by side, trained on Iota Leonis. Vixen ED102SS vs Takahashi FC100-DL:

20240421_221340.jpg.8f77f5a65b7e53e6dfc2dafb1790775d.jpg

• Like 10

The sky wasn't thrilling last night but this is a relaxing way to spend the time nonetheless - sitting comfortably capturing PA and separations for double stars and multi-star systems in M44.

Now i'm sitting comfortably at the scope adjusting a chair to achieve the right height instead of sitting at a fixed height and rotating my diagonal to get comfy (which is what i was doing till recently); West is consistently placed - a brilliant side effect of the BB chair - it makes it much easier to achieve consistent sketches in a series when West is always pointing off in the same direction...

IMG_5178.jpeg.b28c29ef2194fcb77b92d9a58a7f1422.jpeg

Edited by josefk
  • Like 5

Finally got my old 1990's TAL 2M 150mm f8 Newt out of storage after 20 years packed away in its wooden boxes. I had to clean the eyepieces after the sponge linings in the eyepiece compartment degraded into the lenses. Luckily this was easily done with warm soapy water. The aluminium OTA has also degraded in places causing the paint to peel both inside and outside of the tube.

The mirrors are in better condition than I thought they would be and the drive worked right away. I put it though its paces earlier this evening and the 6" spherical mirror did well considering its was filthy needing collimated and the inside of the tube is full of cobwebs!

Had lovely views of Castor,Algieba and even split  Izar easily, which is not bad considering the state of the scope at the moment.

DSC_0304.JPG

• Like 11

@Les Ewan Nice, looks exactly like mine 😁 The paint inside the OTA in mine has held up fine, the outside not so much.

The drive on mine has been making funny noises since I bought it second hand last year and was only working intermittently last time out. Hopefully it's just a readjustment and a re-lube rather that a complete strip down.

• Like 1