Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

16 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Now that is one great looking setup John!

Hello Jeremy.  Many thanks for the kind words. Had a major sort out of equipment since the turn of the year.  My two big scopes were sold off with a view to getting the Evostar.  Also my chunk  of a mount, a NEQ6 PRO, with it's erratic Goto antics also parted company with my good self.  Was getting to be a real struggle lugging it to the garden. I'm not getting any younger.

New mount sourced and all is good.  Must also note the Geoptik observing chair in the picture. Got it a few weeks ago after getting recommendations off a few SGL'ers. As good a piece of kit as the scope and mount.  It's helped tremendously. I no longer have to make the scope and mount suit my viewing position or vice versa. I am much more comfortable with the adjustments the chair gives.  It's a gamechanger as I can now be relaxed when my eye hits the eyepiece. 

Long may it continue.    John 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

Could not decide tonight so went for the Tak for Venus and some binary stars and then the dob for some DSO's later :rolleyes2:

P1090638.JPG.2261ebd08fef9e564a139e3e7ebd149c.JPG

A fine looking pair John, have fun. The skies look like they should be ok for you, so have a good night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's mine, a Russian Tal 4inch refractor my wife got me about 20 years ago. The first light and my first look through any telescope with this was jupiter and saturn, a memory I'll never forget. 

IMG-20200405-WA0006.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Having a great summer night at Ft Griffin State Historic Site in north central Texas.  "Ft G" is one of my favorite dark sites.  I have to drive about 3.5 hours to get there but it is worth the drive to get under Bortle 2 skies.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Ghost of Fort Griffiin-DN_sm.jpg

• Like 7

Same place...different trip.  My little Casita caravan is named the Moonlight Manor. (^8 

Makes staying out at the dark site for several nights very comfortable.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Imaging at Ft Griffin.JPG

Imaging at Ft Griffin-2.JPG

• Like 13

Having fun with two very different, but lovely 4” scopes. My finderscope, the Genesis with 56mm plossl giving a 5.6 degree field, and the Vixen Fluorite for higher power. Lovely views of the Moon, Mercury and Venus, although the last two were quite shimmery in the heat from the day. Took me a while to pick Mercury up through the hazy cloud down low.

0938FD8A-1002-4659-B55D-2B33DA509BB3.jpeg

7058AB4F-08B2-4A9A-94D8-1ED76AF231C2.jpeg

• Like 7

Not an action packed night time scope pic, but more of a sleepy sunny afternoon observing Venus when high in the sky. I kept the obs'y roof half closed in an attempt keep myself cool, but not very successfully. 

IMG_6203.thumb.JPG.7765a85f4543762ff0ef8918a7278777.JPG302507136_2020-05-2517_10_28.thumb.jpg.5181fc37d701632978ed052be2857a87.jpg

• Like 8

This was my Vixen ED102SS in action last night with the 21mm Ethos looking for Comet C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS up by M81 and M82. I'm having a night in tonight :smiley:

The Vixen R&P focuser does a rather good job of holding nearly 3 lbs of eyepiece and diagonal steady and sharply focused when the scope is pointing high in the sky !

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_2020_05/P1090673.JPG.231b175d551893affa441fb679e7dbe2.JPG

• Like 6

On 26/05/2020 at 15:12, garryblueboy said:

Here we are again set up and waiting 

Oh boy, that is a beautiful scope/tripod/mount combo, look like they were made for each other, stunning, and a Starfire to boot! i'm available for adoption, i don't play musical instruments and, can cook very well.

• Haha 2