Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Well, I dunno about that, I never could get on with alt-az, right from the off, seemed daft to push a 'scope around in two axis when you need only do one.

And now I've turned to the dark side there's no going back.

This is my frac..

64450debf39e685c2a7d8c3e6147f086.jpg

Can't see it? That's because I do not have one...

I need more aperture than all these fracs to see those faint m14 galaxies visually.[emoji6]

Nah, you just need more (And longer) subs  :evil:  :grin:

Edited by DaveS

Yes, hold my hands up, real they are...... :shocked:  :shocked:

Well I don't think we should feel too bad for questioning it, they did look like fiction.

I'm glad they are fact though, makes the world a more interesting place :)

• Like 1

Decidedly dodgy looking Mike ;)

Dodgey its in it. To me they all look like escapees from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Here's another inmate, paulastro, a top planetary observer but what a loon! Yet I feel privelaged to observe with them all, but it is usually dark and most people never see them face on. :-)

(Sorry, I can't attach his photo, it must be too freaky!)

Edited by mikeDnight

Looks fabulous Gaidis. I'm very glad I followed your lead with the AZEQ6, it handles the Vixen beautifully.

Still can't get on with binoviewers, just sold my third pair!

told you from the beginning Stu to get the AZ-EQ mount didnt i? Easy to use,has a go-to and tracking and in Az mode can handle up to 25kgs.perfect combo.

A bit puzzled why you cant get on with binoviewers.What pairs you had and what was the issue? What in particular you didnt like?

Well, I dunno about that, I never could get on with alt-az, right from the off, seemed daft to push a 'scope around in two axis when you need only do one.

And now I've turned to the dark side there's no going back.

With my small back garden I have to shuffle around fir trees to the front and the house to the back so alt az is ideal for me.
They block out the street lights a treat tho !

told you from the beginning Stu to get the AZ-EQ mount didnt i? Easy to use,has a go-to and tracking and in Az mode can handle up to 25kgs.perfect combo.

A bit puzzled why you cant get on with binoviewers.What pairs you had and what was the issue? What in particular you didnt like?

Yep, you were right. I got there in the end. Do you really use without side counterbalance? I would have thought it would put more strain on the mount doing this?

Can't really say, I just don't find them comfortable or natural to use. My last pair were Denks, very nice. No problem with collimation but I just naturally return to mono viewing all the time.

Two reasons potentially. Firstly my eyes are very different, my left (observing eye) gives very nice resolution and plenty of detail but not so bright, my right eye is far brighter but it's like looking at a poorly tuned TV (old style analogue of course), far less detail visible. Perhaps this is a strain on my brain to deal with?

Second point is that I do frequently change eyepieces and binoviewers are not naturally suited to this.

Yep, you were right. I got there in the end. Do you really use without side counterbalance? I would have thought it would put more strain on the mount doing this?

Can't really say, I just don't find them comfortable or natural to use. My last pair were Denks, very nice. No problem with collimation but I just naturally return to mono viewing all the time.

Two reasons potentially. Firstly my eyes are very different, my left (observing eye) gives very nice resolution and plenty of detail but not so bright, my right eye is far brighter but it's like looking at a poorly tuned TV (old style analogue of course), far less detail visible. Perhaps this is a strain on my brain to deal with?

Second point is that I do frequently change eyepieces and binoviewers are not naturally suited to this.

i have used a couple of times without the side counterbalance in AZ mode and it is perfectly fine :) 

Valid points Stu about eye difference,but i dont think it will be critical in binoviewing as it does take a bit of time to get used to them and once mastered you learn how to relax when observing and then it sort of "pops". Changing eye pieces frequently is not an issue in binoviewers as i do the same.It is very easy to do in Denks and Baader mark V,specially in baaders as they have click locks.I had click locks installed on my Zeiss too and its a doodle to swap out.However,i am now swapping out far less as i have powermates to use and now i dont go lower then 16mm pairs of orthos and when i need more power,i just put either x4 or x2 powermate in.Saves the hassle of swapping eye pieces.Denk 2 come with powerswitch and it does work really well giving you 3 different magnifications.But as it has been mentioned before,some people just like mono viewing.

Very nice matching scopes Skyline. I've only recently got hold of a C100ED myself. I really like it apart from the focuser which jerks when you try and focus, and also makes the image shift left and right!

I'm definately going to try and tune it, and if that fails it might be new focuser time. 

The rest of the scope is worth it.

This is my frac..

64450debf39e685c2a7d8c3e6147f086.jpg

Can't see it? That's because I do not have one...

I need more aperture than all these fracs to see those faint m14 galaxies visually.[emoji6]

That's quite a large size Brassiere you have there, a couple of T31's at least :grin:

• Like 6

wow theres some cracking fracs on here im well out classed.

Not outclassed at all, your are in good company here.

So much better than a bin with a mirror in the bottom.... :grin::evil:

I'm going to remember this thread every time the Dob squad descend on a newbie asking which telescope to buy. :laugh:  Cannot argue with bang for your buck Dob value though.

Clear skies to all.

Fondofchips.

Edited by fondofchips
  • Like 2

With all these wonderful fracs, we should organise a FracFest somewhere....

Chris

Now that is a great Idea if I ever heard one :laugh: Are full aperture solar filters recommended for Dobs ?

Edited by Pig

Very nice matching scopes Skyline. I've only recently got hold of a C100ED myself. I really like it apart from the focuser which jerks when you try and focus, and also makes the image shift left and right!

I'm definately going to try and tune it, and if that fails it might be new focuser time. 

The rest of the scope is worth it.

I am pondering about buying a agena Astro focuser ring adaptor then coupling that with a moonlite focuser as I think this would be a better fitting with three screws, then a screw on configuration.

I am pondering about buying a agena Astro focuser ring adaptor then coupling that with a moonlite focuser as I think this would be a better fitting with three screws, then a screw on configuration.

Hi, in which ways would this be better than buying the Moonlite with Moonlite C100ED flange?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cf-crayford-focuser-for-refractors.html

Wouldn't you have to drill three holes into the threaded section of the tube with the Agena kit?

I know RussWill has recently done similar with his C100ED and TS mono rail.

Here's what mine looks like. It may be small but it does what it says on the tin. I mainly use it for solar observing now in conjunction with a Hershel wedge (and safety filters). Its a great scope. I dont use the tripod with it as its rubbish. I have it on an 8115.

post-5361-0-02363500-1433069916_thumb.gi

• Like 5