Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

There's no way i'm following up those skylights with my starwave, it's just not fair on the poor thing!

If somebody can post some national geographic 40mm/F10 educational scopes first then i'll probably consider it, but there's no way my lovely starwave is going to be the "oh bless look at the cute scope next to those skylights" :grin:

What! I've just looked at your sig and it's a very respectable 4" f/11. I thought we were talking about a little ED70 or something, and even that's a nice little scope.

I posted my little 60mm  :tongue2:

• Like 1

My XLT 120, have to admit this was a bit of an impulse buy but mates rates and a nice field test persuaded me  :rolleyes:  :grin: On a night where only Jupiter and the Moon were visible, due to thin high cloud, it provided some nice high contrast views albeit with some expected colour fringing at about 170x. 

post-30467-0-96400200-1433865947_thumb.j

• Like 5

Come on, don't be shy. We're all friends here.

Oh you guys!!!

What! I've just looked at your sig and it's a very respectable 4" f/11. I thought we were talking about a little ED70 or something, and even that's a nice little scope.

I posted my little 60mm  :tongue2:

Here's a picture of me and my baby frac in WL mode looking after little OJ as a taster before I get a decent picture of the starwave

post-33699-0-35442300-1433866657_thumb.j

• Like 4

Here by popular demand is my frac set up..!

Altair starwave 102mm F11 on skytee2 with my ikle 80mm as finder (works better with the 200p but we don't speak of such things here!)

post-33699-0-62466100-1433878170_thumb.j

post-33699-0-23962600-1433878213_thumb.j

post-33699-0-16388400-1433878252_thumb.j

Edit... rubbish quality photo's... must check phone settings.. :icon_scratch:

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 10

That's it, get the little one interested at an early age ;)

I've got him an Evo 90 (which my brother is currently loaning) already...  second hand £80.. bargin and a great little scope! :binkybaby:

• Like 2

I hate this thread.... :(. Now I "need" more fracs!

With 3 of the best, i dont see that you need any more fracs, though a 120ED would sit nice in that sweet collection

P.s hope you both can make it to the star party in August

• Like 1

Fozzie - that looks like a great setup! it's quite a big frac that Altair f/11, looks great on the Skytee with the pier extension.

How is the focuser and chromatic aberration on the Altair f/11? I'm not getting on with the focuser on the C100ED, even though it has literally no CA I'm thinking of swapping it for a long achro with a nicer focuser, either that or buy a Moonlite for it. 

• Like 1

Fozzie - that looks like a great setup! it's quite a big frac that Altair f/11, looks great on the Skytee with the pier extension.

How is the focuser and chromatic aberration on the Altair f/11? I'm not getting on with the focuser on the C100ED, even though it has literally no CA I'm thinking of swapping it for a long achro with a nicer focuser, either that or buy a Moonlite for it. 

It's hard to beat the Synta ED doublet refractors in my opinion. I've got a Moonlite focuser on my ED120. Goodness knows how much I'd have to pay for a 5" class refractor that would be a better performer.

The Skywatcher focusers were not amazing but unfortunately Celestron put an even worse one on their versions of the ED80 and ED100. Well worth an upgrade if you can to keep that excellent objective lens.

• Like 2

Hi John,

Agena astro in the US used to do an adaptor for the C100ED so you could fit something like a TS monorail, but they have now stopped doing them :(

As you know Moonlite do a flange for most scopes including this one but we're talking about 350 pounds to find. Otherwise it's which annoys me more out of some CA or the C100ED focuser, Hmmm? I think it depends on how much CA.

Anyway sorry I digress from the thread :rolleyes:

Many thanks Chris, I'm really happy with it at the moment, nice wooden tripod though, well it'd be nice wouldn't it!

I do like the focuser, it's nice and smooth, it's also rotatable which I'm yet to decide if it's good or bad thing. It's either locked or not and when it's not it can catch you out by spinning to the lowest centre of gravity especially with the 50mm Finder on it!

As for CA, it's well controlled, not in the ed doublet league as you'd expect but I can push my 6mm slv on the moon and not really have it bother me.. Noticed a bit around vega the other night but then I was looking for it as I'm writing a comparison between the 9mm slv and excell (was looking at controlling light scatter)..

It's a nice scope, personally I love it but then I've never looked through anything better...

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

No problem Chris, It might be a while yet, I started the review at Christmas and I've only just finished writing up my thoughts with the F11, which is hardly a stern test on EP's.. Going to start with the 200p shortly...

• Like 1

Here's one, bought second hand in the UK several years ago. TEC140 triplet Apo. Great visually and a super imaging scope for full frame CCD which it covers effortlessy using the TEC flattener. It is, in every way, such a nice scope. 

In%20obs%201-L.jpg

Then there's the Tandem Tak, half of which belongs to Tom. This pair of old fluroite FSQ106Ns cost less than a single new one but they are both great. The dual rig is a treat, especially for guests wanting to work fast.

Tandem-L.jpg

Why am I so keen on refractors? For imaging they are so easy and reliable. FOr visual I just love the quality of the image. I know you don't have aperture but I just adore that quality.

Olly

• Like 15

Just realised, I've got pics of the scope and pics of the mount posted but non together, so here we go:

Skylight 6" f15 on Fullerscopes Mk4 mount that I recently refurbed, and a couple with the Skylight 60mm f16 for scale. That's a full size table by the way.........

post-7724-0-17028400-1434024509_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-14105600-1434024529_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-52576800-1434024545_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-00165800-1434024564_thumb.jp

• Like 16