Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Here is an interesting one from TAL that I was loaned to review a few years back. It's the 6 element TAL Apolar 125:

post-118-0-04079600-1433270679_thumb.jpg

For anyone interested here is a link to my report on it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/104408-tal-125r-apolar-apochromatic-refractor/

There is no exotic / ED glass used in the design but it did seem to control chromatic abberation very well indeed. It was almost non existant. I'd not fancy having to collimate one though :shocked:

• Like 9

A couple from today. Fancied trying out the 120ED on solar but not firing up the AZEQ6, so thought I would try the Giro-WR. It actually works very well, pretty smooth and stable.

120ED with Baader Wedge

Tak FC100 with Quark

e49da1489e46d9c4b80b85470ce27dd6.jpg

06d7c97df4975d1332174fd11b5583bd.jpg

fbf71b49755f3a7deb78cfb07870cf6f.jpg

I'm currently dodging holes in the cloud!

• Like 14

Nice! And with all that frackery, you still can't split Zeta Her?

Chris

Don't rub it in!! ;)

I shall give it another go very soon. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to with what I have

• Like 2

I don't find it an easy split at all with my ED120 Stu. It's about the hardest I've managed and to start with I was not even sure I was getting a split. The secondary looks more like a greyish bump in the 1st diffraction ring than a pinpoint star.

• Like 3

I don't find it an easy split at all with my ED120 Stu. It's about the hardest I've managed and to start with I was not even sure I was getting a split. The secondary looks more like a greyish bump in the 1st diffraction ring than a pinpoint star.

Thanks John. I forget that Chris is like one of those 'eagle eye' action men I had when I were a lad ;)

Thanks John. I forget that Chris is like one of those 'eagle eye' action men I had when I were a lad ;)

Perhaps just better seeing, with a field in front of me - the fact that the split shows up well in an image shows it's not just eyeball factor?

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar

Perhaps just better seeing, with a field in front of me - the fact that the split shows up well in an image shows it's not just eyeball factor?

Chris

Yes, just teasing a bit Chris, apologies ;)

Your images show the splits well so its scope and/or conditions I guess.

Chris

That may well make a difference. All my observing from home is done over rooftops. In winter the heat plumes must have some impact. Or at least thats my excuse :rolleyes2:

@mikednight

Just how did you fold that frac up to fit in your backpack!!

@bigsumarian, used the Skytee ii for the recent partial eclipse, hope you did not need to use the rdf on that lovely TAK..

• Like 1

@mikednight

Just how did you fold that frac up to fit in your backpack!!

@bigsumarian, used the Skytee ii for the recent partial eclipse, hope you did not need to use the rdf on that lovely TAK..

No, look closely and there's a sol finder tucked alongside it, both aligned together and just slots on. Can see the sol finder without getting in line with the RDF

Just about managed this tonight in the Vixen. Blooming difficult though, not helped by a slight miscollimation I need to get sorted.

Pretty much matched your description John

My mini (grab 'n go) frac set-up. One day I hope it will grow up and acquire some more inches round its waist.....

Chris

how did you fit the red dot finder to your optical finder, brilliant idea, any close up pics please :smiley:

how did you fit the red dot finder to your optical finder, brilliant idea, any close up pics please :smiley:

Pic below. Essentially, I removed the base from the RDF and attached it with two macho nylon cable ties. It's tight/loose enough I can rotate it to refocus the RACI if I need to.

To align, I pointed the RACI at a brightish star, centred it, and then adjusted the RDF until it covered the star. In use, I swing the scope using a rough aim with the RDF, and then use the RACI.

Chris

post-8142-0-51804100-1433495872_thumb.jp

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 6

Pic below. Essentially, I removed the base from the RDF and attached it with two macho nylon cable ties. It's tight/loose enough I can rotate it to refocus the RACI if I need to.

To align, I pointed the RACI at a brightish star, centred it, and then adjusted the RDF until it covered the star. In use, I swing the scope using a rough aim with the RDF, and then use the RACI.

Chris

thats brilliant, thank you :smiley: