Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Bearing in mind I am a novice, I am surprised to see so many of these on alt az mounts. What is the reason for using an alt az rather than a GE, please?

I find AltAz mounts so much simpler and more convenient to use for visual work. Setting up an EQ takes more time, and for quick sessions it is far easier to just plonk an AZ mount out and find the objects manually.

I even use my Goto mount in AltAz mode, it keeps the eyepiece in more sensible positions and is just easier.

The other benefit is being able to mount two scopes which is particularly handy for solar viewing where you can have white light and Ha views side by side

• Like 3

I agree Stu I prefer the AZ to EQ or GoTo (although GoTo does has some great convenience factors about it). I leave mine set up with 2 scopes ready to take to the action at a moments notice.

I find AltAz mounts so much simpler and more convenient to use for visual work. Setting up an EQ takes more time, and for quick sessions it is far easier to just plonk an AZ mount out and find the objects manually.

I even use my Goto mount in AltAz mode, it keeps the eyepiece in more sensible positions and is just easier.

The other benefit is being able to mount two scopes which is particularly handy for solar viewing where you can have white light and Ha views side by side

Thanks. For some reason I presumed (don't know why) it would be best on a GE, but I guess using a frac on an alt az is no different than using a dob.

• Like 1

YTS!! £27.50 a week but I worked with my dad who doubled it because I worked so hard.....bought my first vespa that year also!!

i dont believe you worked so hard. i can tell your lying because your lips are moving :smiley: