SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The sky at night

todd8137

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious as to how this can be construde as anything other than offensive. Especially as at least one of "the other two" is a member here.

I'd doubt if they believe that being members here should make them immune from honest criticism, just giving my opinion really.

It's also pretty lame not to have a show next month just because of the eclipse a few weeks later.

I'd doubt if they believe that being members here should make them immune from honest criticism, just giving my opinion really.

It's also pretty lame not to have a show next month just because of the eclipse a few weeks later.

The moral of the story is you cant please everybody all of the time, whilst this episode was ok for me - it didnt have the same impact as the one a couple months ago regarding the chemistry behind nebulae.... which is what floats my boat. The discussion of possible interstellar travel, or search for ETI may be right up someone else's alley. Astronomy is a big subject, they have to mix it up a bit and decide what goes into the show... no easy feat when the airtime on offer is limited.

But if you had listened properly, the reason for the break is because of stargazing live - where its pretty much prime-time (albeit on bbc2), for a whole week! (so no complaining ey!). Its the one single event that attracts more newcomers each year than anything else.

The Sky At Night is an ideal programme for the BBC to broadcast.

Educational, creative, low cost, connects astromony to the public effectively.

Hopefully high ratings for the stargazing event in March
will demonstrate the need for such a programme.

The BBC never advertise S&N on its own channels and
being monthly it is too easy to be missed by the general public.

Its a great programme!

I have just finished watching it on iPlayer. Thought that it was good interesting viewing with an engaging set of presenters and experts. Maggie seems to have toned it down a bit without loosing any of that wonderful infectious enthusiasm. And, yes, a stargazing slot would have been nice, but they were trying to cover an awful lot of ground in very little time.

So, in my eyes, a success.

Paul

Great.

I rather look forward the the regular Sky @ Night bashing / defending threads. I never remember when it is on, so these threads remind me to fire up the old iPlayer, kick back and enjoy.

Surely a thread or two building on some of the topics discussed on the show might be worthwhile?

Paul

Same here Paul, going to watch it now.

Also the theme tune has always left me cold, it must be Sibelius' worst ever dirge :sad:

Blimey, you're really not a S@N fan are you. Even the music gets it in the neck! Must've have put you off the programme for decades!

I've *adored* Sibelius' music since I was a teen, some 45 years ago - while not the height of his evocative symphonic powers, the piece conveys nobility, immensity and gravitas....like the universe. Sir P would have approved I think. 'Worst ever dirge' indeed! Your implicit denigration of Sibelius is swords at dawn talk sirrah! Meet me At the Castle Gate!

:D

For the budget and time slot they have it's a great show and shouldn't be knocked just because the show doesn't contain what some think it should.

It was an informative episode which at least some of us enjoyed. I hope it carries on unlike another BBC programme with 3 blokes who take the Mickey and cost a fortune with their trashy and now irrelevant circus show.

If the sky at night team had half the budget they would be on every week fitting everything in, including Pete and his guide which I have to admit I did miss.

Damian

so, just to clarify...telling someone that they make you squirm with discomfort is not offensive? 

I guess we have differing opinions as to the meaning of offensive then

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode & thanks for posting the links to the guides. Seeing something I couldnt (and still cant) explain in the night sky is what got me into astronomy in the first place, so the ET section and Kelper were spot on. Looking forward to stargazing live. 

S@n is an institution ! Long may it live I think they've got the balance about right now, over the run of episodes they cover a lot of items to that are of interest to many different people who are looking for different things from the programme ! I guess you carnt fit it all in every month ? Personally I think the mix of presenters is good knowledgable, enthusiastic and experts in there field, when you think about it , carnt be easy to make a half hour programme that has to engage an age range from 9 to 90!!

I think sky at night and stargazing live both have their place. Sky at night is an institution. A low budget half an hour slot that has broken records and informed amateur astronomers for decades. The new format is great for what the show is trying to achieve IMO.

Stargazing live is a whole different kind of show trying to appeal to the masses. Looking at the ratings, it works. This wouldn't have been even dreamed of years ago. I feel this show is as equally important to the future of amateur astronomy as S@N. Yeah, the laughing and joking may not appeal to the more serious of amateur astronomers but this big budget show is exactly what the field should wish for to keep a growing interest in our wonderful hobby :) There are possibly thousands watching it who have never looked through a telescope and it's just the hook they needed to have a go.

The way I see it we have a range of documentaries and shows to suit all depending on where they are in their astronomy journey. It's such a huge subject that can reach out to children, amateurs and proffessors alike.

I think It was Oscar Wilde that said "There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about." 

My sons freind came round yesterday ( about 12yrs) had seen the Sky at night trailors and as it was getting dark asked about my scope in the extension...

A 10 minute, no cool down session at Jupiter and its moons followed in between the clouds...

Archived