Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So, I've come to say hello

Optimust

Hello everybody. It's my first time on an astronomy forum so please be gentle. A complete novice which I'm hoping to change. I've become more and more interested in the night sky..and everything that's in the universe. It's beautiful and fascinating, so fairly sure it'll be a hobby I stick to. I'm an overworked underpaid single mum so looking at the stars is like getting away from it all :-)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Optimist and welcome to SGL, For those casual moments, when your beloved offspring are asleep and you are able to step outside, a modest pair of binoculars should get you started with your observing of the night sky. The free program "Stellarium" is also a good aid, to help you find you way about. enjoy :)

Hello and welcome to SGL

Great advice from glowjet.

10x50 or 8x40 binoculars will give you so much more to see than naked eyes alone.

As for detailing on the Planets, you may want to consider a telescope as/when your knowledge increases, but be prepaired for whats ahead, its no easy ride choosing the right binoculars or telescope, but they can and will work well together.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As John has mentioned above, Stellarium is a great starting point to learn the night sky and to discover where the brightest objects are that you can locate with a pair of binoculars. There is a book called, "Turn Left at Orion" which isn't the cheapest book out there BUT it is great value for money as it lists around 100 objects (which are divided into seasons) that can be found using modest equipment. The book includes information on each of the objects along with both written and pictorial instructions on how to find these objects. If you're interested, you can take a look here to check out the layout.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived