Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ EQ6-GT

Ewan

I've not looked at eqmod yet but i did use a serial to usb adapter to connect to my PC to update the mount firmware. (is there a big difference between connecting directly to the mount and via the handcontroler?) I dont know about other serial-usb adapters but any with a PL2303 chip should work out of the box, and they are not expensive. I wasn't able to update the mount firmware on windows 8 (blue screened) but was able to update without problems on Linux using wine you just need to symlink the ttyUSB0 to /.wine/dosdevices to make it work.

Just in case you decide to update the firmware :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eqmod is just fantastic & well worth looking into. The synscan software is nowhere near as good as the celestron nexstar (i had a cg5 gt before). Eqmod addresses this in full & then some! There are plenty of video tutorials on youtube. You can still use it in conjunction with stellarium if you want to, but many including me prefer cartes du ciel. It can also be used with PhD guiding, maxim DL etc. Since using it, I have not used the handset at all.

Well im out doing 10 minute subs for now with a really quick setup :-)

Never used a Polar Scope before so i just stuck Polaris in the middle of the smaller circle, 3 star align using a 23mm ep, 2 stars on edge of fov last one near centre, slewed to moon, bang on, Jupiter bang on so im happy so far.

Guiding the C8 @ f6.3 using the DMK, the HitecAstro USB Guider connected to the ST4 port working well.

So far very happy with the phd graph & comparison to the old mount is vrry favourable.

Thanks for all the comments & advice its been very helpful. I will need a Polarscope tutorial if anyone could link one :-)

Well im out doing 10 minute subs for now with a really quick setup :-)

Never used a Polar Scope before so i just stuck Polaris in the middle of the smaller circle, 3 star align using a 23mm ep, 2 stars on edge of fov last one near centre, slewed to moon, bang on, Jupiter bang on so im happy so far.

Guiding the C8 @ f6.3 using the DMK, the HitecAstro USB Guider connected to the ST4 port working well.

So far very happy with the phd graph & comparison to the old mount is vrry favourable.

Thanks for all the comments & advice its been very helpful. I will need a Polarscope tutorial if anyone could link one :-)

Sorry to hijack. Can I ask you what makes you 'happy' with your PHD graph. I have just started guiding my SCT (last night). I saw the graph option and watched it for a bit but don't know if it's good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack. Can I ask you what makes you 'happy' with your PHD graph. I have just started guiding my SCT (last night). I saw the graph option and watched it for a bit but don't know if it's good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The graph lines were pretty flat & stayed pretty horizontal in the middle, no massive spikes as before.

At the end of the day though it's the quality of the star shapes that count in your subs, so don't fret too much with the graph.

Even though i don't think i setup the best i could have done (new mount & 1st light) the mount done pretty well considering.

I've had this mount now for about 3 weeks and have been out 6 times. Very very happy with it. I've only used it in alt-az mode so far for 'video' style observing, where tracking for 60s is fine at 480mm focal length and even at 90s I see very little elongation. Next step is to sort out polar alignment but I'm in no hurry I'm having so much fun in the alt-az mode  :smiley: . 

Check out astronomyshed on youtube for a polar scope tutorial.

Martin

looks like i may get to use me mount tonight woohoo

Thing of beauty eh ? :grin: , i bet you were as chuffed & suprised as me.

Sunday night is meant to be good but that pesky moon, pick your target wisely.

The guiding is way better than i am used to :-

5 minute subs testing.

post-11075-0-90461800-1397354075_thumb.j

wow i know what you mean about about the guiding this mount is way beyond what i have struggled with the cg5 is a decent mount but not in the same class as this by a long way great for small scopes but not for the 200pds the az eq6 dos not even no the 200 pds is even there lol. i took some subs last night and did not even chuck any away, i posted a couple in (getting started imaging) - first light with az eq6 gt only have a skywatcher 2" lp filter and stars are pinpoint. 

• 7 months later...

Sounds like everyone is well pleased with this mount. I had thought about the EQ8 but it gets very mixed reviews and um not sure I need the load capacity. The more I read on the AZ eq6 gt the more I want one! Might ring flo on Monday and take the plunge. The mount seems a good step up from my heq5pro and still portable until I get my obsy set up which is a year or two down the line yet.

• 1 month later...

Right then, mount ordered from FLO. Two weeks holiday starting Friday. What could go wrong? Oh yes, the weather! Still all being well hope to post first impressions very soon and get some imaging done. I wonder if I can convince my wife to pay for it as a Christmas present? Somehow I think not.

Hi Folks, Newbie question I'm afraid. Looking to get my first EQ mount for imaging using a 130PDS newt initially. Looking at Advanced VX, NEQ6 Pro Synscan and the EQ6 AZ GT.

I think I may also be using a 200 PDS as well.

My simple question is - Would the EQ6 AZ GT be too much of a steep learning curve for a newbie like me.

I currently run a 254mm Dobson on an Eq Platform. I do some astrophotography but obviously, the Dobson is more of an viewing light bucket. The price range for these 3 mounts is roughly £750 - £1400. Capacity, mount weight and "you get what you pay for" suggest EQ6 AZ GT.

I just worry that it could be too complicated as a first EQ.

The budget is not a concern.

Grateful for any comments. Cheers and thankyou.

Hi Folks, Newbie question I'm afraid. Looking to get my first EQ mount for imaging using a 130PDS newt initially. Looking at Advanced VX, NEQ6 Pro Synscan and the EQ6 AZ GT.

My simple question is - Would the EQ6 AZ GT be too much of a steep learning curve for a newbie like me.

I currently run a 254mm Dobson on an Eq Platform. I do some astrophotography but obviously, the Dobson is more of an viewing light bucket. The price range for these 3 mounts is roughly £750 - £1400. Capacity, mount weight and "you get what you pay for" suggest EQ6 AZ GT.

Hi Roger,

Learning the AZ-EQ6 would not be much different than any other equatorial mount. It does have the additional option of being able to run as an Alt-Az mount. It is a wonderfully engineered mount with large easy to use clutch handles.The NEQ6 would use the same Synscan hand controller and setup as the AZ-EQ6 but would not have the Alt-Az option. The two most important things you would need to learn about any EQ mount is (1) how to polar align it and (2) how to properly balance your equipment on the mount. Once you get them down, you should be good to go. I have found that choosing proper alignment stars on Skywatcher mounts can be a little tricky compared to the Celestron mounts. You don;t want to just use the first ones it gives you. There are recommendations in the User Manual as to how to select the best ones.

JohnD

Roger,

The best advice I could give, as given to me on here, is use EQMod with this mount.

You can use the PC Direct cable that comes with the mount with no problems as I have tried this, the only drawback being the Handcontroller will still be attached.

Get the EQDir cable & be free altogether.

As for Polar Aligning, use EQMod also & use any stars you like & the PA will be extremely good, try using 3-6 stars either side of the meridian for very good GoTo results or if imaging just use a few on the side of the sky required.

You will be up & imaging in about 40 mins once you get it all sussed out.

Hope that helps a bit.

Many thanks folks for responding. It is looking like February-March '15 for pulling the trigger. In terms of bangs per buck, my impression is that I either plump for maximum stability and better load capacity using the EQ6 AZ GT at £1300 from FLO or perhaps less stability (perhaps) and less load capacity using the Advanced VX but have £600 left over to get an autoguiding system and or GPS plus more mobility with the lighter weight.

Totally perplexed at the moment. Hope I make my mind up by February.

Also perplexed over Celestron emphasis upon ASPA - shows great confidence - they don't even include a polarscope by default. Forums here on the VX suggest that ASPA is the way to go, particularly if polaris is not always visible from ll parts of a back garden.

On power supply, I may take the precaution of opting for the Baader 5A 12V supply, which gives better stability at low temperatures, particularly if mount/CCD probs are to be avoided, whichever decision I make on the mount.

For me, there seems to be a bit of a gap on comparative reviews on mounts between say £500 - £2000, particularly since for astrophotography it is such a key component.

Many thanks once again. Best wishes for xmas and 2015. folks.

Many thanks folks for responding. It is looking like February-March '15 for pulling the trigger. In terms of bangs per buck, my impression is that I either plump for maximum stability and better load capacity using the EQ6 AZ GT at £1300 from FLO or perhaps less stability (perhaps) and less load capacity using the Advanced VX but have £600 left over to get an autoguiding system and or GPS plus more mobility with the lighter weight.

Totally perplexed at the moment. Hope I make my mind up by February.

Also perplexed over Celestron emphasis upon ASPA - shows great confidence - they don't even include a polarscope by default. Forums here on the VX suggest that ASPA is the way to go, particularly if polaris is not always visible from ll parts of a back garden.

On power supply, I may take the precaution of opting for the Baader 5A 12V supply, which gives better stability at low temperatures, particularly if mount/CCD probs are to be avoided, whichever decision I make on the mount.

For me, there seems to be a bit of a gap on comparative reviews on mounts between say £500 - £2000, particularly since for astrophotography it is such a key component.

Many thanks once again. Best wishes for xmas and 2015. folks.

Roger,

1st ly have a great Christmas mate, you & the family.

I would put my money on the heavier pricier AZEQ6 to be fair, not worth the regret that may follow.

I know the VX is a good mount & the comparison would not be apples for apples, the AZ would be better.

The sky will not be going anywhere soon so bite the bullet, save & get the best you can.

I look forward to seeing what you opt for either way, above all clear skies mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish my modest input. I finally went for the EQ6 AZ GT with the 130 PDS newt, plus a 0.9 skywatcher coma corrector. Got the EQDIR adaptor. A lot to learn but have a good feeling about it. Awaiting a Maplin power supply to use with Astromiser cigar lighter adaptor.

Swapped the mounting around by 180 degrees to give me a north pointing tripod leg, plus a comfortable position for the polarscope, as suggested in the Steve Richards FLO review of the mount.

Just to finish my modest input. I finally went for the EQ6 AZ GT with the 130 PDS newt, plus a 0.9 skywatcher coma corrector. Got the EQDIR adaptor. A lot to learn but have a good feeling about it. Awaiting a Maplin power supply to use with Astromiser cigar lighter adaptor.

Swapped the mounting around by 180 degrees to give me a north pointing tripod leg, plus a comfortable position for the polarscope, as suggested in the Steve Richards FLO review of the mount.

Hope you enjoy it Roger as much as I have, please do a first light report here after maybe with some shots of the setup.

Doing that swap is a great idea (I must have missed that in Steve's review) which I will do when I swap scopes over again soon. Thanks for that tip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add some input, I've had the EQ6 AZ GT for a couple of weeks now, and am admiring it more and more. The Dec and R.A. clutches are really cool. I've got PA pretty much ok now but my goto alignment has had me climbing the wall until I read the various threads and also the Sky at Night review. After PA I kept getting the mount slewing to the wrong part of the sky for the first alignment star.  

Finally realised that after PA I have to return the mount to the Home position, turn off, turn on, then start the goto alignment. After that, all the alignment stars popped into finder fov, just so.

Nothing in the manual about that. Ah well, we move on.

Loving it all though. Even the frustrations. Finally managed to sort out the proper balancing of my 130 PDS newt. It's such a short tube and the mirror isn't that heavy. So, the imaging train of focuser-coma corrector-dslr is relatively heavy compared to the whole ota. Needed an extra kilo at the mirror end on the opposite side to the imaging train to get proper balance at all angles. Feels really good, folks to finally get it nailed. Thanks for reading. Daft old [removed word] signing off.

Just to add some input, I've had the EQ6 AZ GT for a couple of weeks now, and am admiring it more and more. The Dec and R.A. clutches are really cool. I've got PA pretty much ok now but my goto alignment has had me climbing the wall until I read the various threads and also the Sky at Night review. After PA I kept getting the mount slewing to the wrong part of the sky for the first alignment star.  

Finally realised that after PA I have to return the mount to the Home position, turn off, turn on, then start the goto alignment. After that, all the alignment stars popped into finder fov, just so.

Nothing in the manual about that. Ah well, we move on.

Loving it all though. Even the frustrations. Finally managed to sort out the proper balancing of my 130 PDS newt. It's such a short tube and the mirror isn't that heavy. So, the imaging train of focuser-coma corrector-dslr is relatively heavy compared to the whole ota. Needed an extra kilo at the mirror end on the opposite side to the imaging train to get proper balance at all angles. Feels really good, folks to finally get it nailed. Thanks for reading. Daft old [removed word] signing off.

Roger give EQMod a try, you will notice straight away no more turning the mount on/off just to get setup.

not only that PA is quicker & more accurate as well as being able to use ANY stars for syncing the Goto.

Archived