Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier adaptor questions for AZ EQ6 - GT & others!

Neil27

I have just acquired a very nice SH AZ EQ6 mount but have some questions please?

I'm looking at getting the Altair Astro pier adaptor, does this work with my mount?

For people that have already used this pier, what size bolt and pitch size is it, also what length of bolt is nominally used to attach the mount to the pier?

And lastly due to having a cigarette power adaptor, what is recommended to use to power the mount? Is there a sky watcher mains power adaptor that you can buy?

As always thanks for reading and comments welcome,

Many thanks,

Hi Neil,

If the pier adaptor says its for an NEQ6, then that should also fit the AZEQ6. I bolt the mount down with some M10 studding (A4 stainless) & M10 Nuts\washers.

For, power I tap a feed off the PC power supply that is driving it, via a home made cable.

Some peeps go for a linear power supply from Maplins, but I have also used their 120watt switched mode power bricks.

Hi Julian,

Many thanks for reply, yes I have done another quick search and it would appear that the pier adaptor will fit the AZ as well as the NEQ, but thanks for confirming this.

Regarding the bolt, I assume this slides directly through the pier plate, pier adaptor and then screws directly underneath the body of the mount, as what happens when sitting on the tripod? What length of bolt would be used to attach the mount?

Regarding power supply would something like this be OK - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/207w-switched-mode-dc-fixed-voltage-bench-power-supply-n31gk

Thanks for the quick feedback, appreciated.

Hi Neil

I have the AZ EQ 6 GT on an Altair HEQ5/EQ6 pier adaptor.  The centre bolt is standard metric M12.  I can't tell you the length as its currently all bolted down.  For power I use a 4 amp regulated fused Rapid Electronics 85-1714 observatory supply.  This has the correct female connector on the front panel for your cigar lighter male connector.

7 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Neil

I have the AZ EQ 6 GT on an Altair HEQ5/EQ6 pier adaptor.  The centre bolt is standard metric M12.  I can't tell you the length as its currently all bolted down.  For power I use a 4 amp regulated fused Rapid Electronics 85-1714 observatory supply.  This has the correct female connector on the front panel for your cigar lighter male connector.

Hi Chris, brilliant - no worries about the length of the bolt, I'll work it out taking into account, thickness of pier plate, adaptor and having enough threads to attach the mount itself.

Great heads up for the power supply, as the one everyone raves about at Maplins is no longer supplied.

Once again many thanks for the information.

Thanks,

Archived