Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ EQ6-GT

Ewan

Well it has been a while since I have been on this forum but I have not been Idle. I have purchased some Explore Scientific eyepieces and a couple of barlows along with a few other small items to go along with my kit.

The big thing is that I did finally order an Orion AZ/EQ-G mount. It will be shipped out this Friday and hopefully arrive before the end of next week. I'll keep you posted.  :smiley:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's it, the beast thrones in my living room !!!!

It's a beautiful machine full of tricks to make life easier. I list:

- The disk brakes to hold the axis are tighten with capstans. It's very effective.

- The altitude adjustment is made with a large threaded rod and is far easier to use than on the older EQ6

- The mount can be quickly put in Altaz Mode or Eq Mode

- The counterweight bar is much larger and an extension is used to load more if necessary, without putting more counterweight

- A second dual format head can be installed on the counterweight bar extremity, allowing installation of a second telescope

- The electrical outlet is much stronger (mini aviation 16 mm dia plug)

- There is a belt drive, Rowan Astro has been copied !

- The mount is lighter but can carry more

- the mount is delivered in a box filled with strong closed cell foam, like plastazote (but it isn’t). We just have to make a box around.

However :

- I found the mount noisier than the belt mod EQ6, it must be a resonance problem

- The altitude setting key is poorly placed and can be very painful should you hurt it when using polarscope... The rod may also exceed and cables get stuck in.

- The little key for clamping the counterweight bar is very close to the Dec brake capstan. One can easily have a finger stuck in between, ouch !

- The index of the altitude scale is less readable than the EQ6 but who uses it...

- RA and Dec Encoders are not (yet?) taken into account in EQMod

- RA Worm gear position index is not (yet?) taken into account in EQMod

The DB9 connector has gone and has been replaced by an RJ45 plug. I do not know if it is really better because the RJ45 plugs are fragile while a DB9 lasts centuries !

The mount has been purchased from Pierro Astro in France, it was carefully checked and adjusted  by him (that is included in the price). Here is a summary of the technical report Pierro joined to the frame:

- Replacement of defectuous RA belt,

- Close adjustement of the worm gears play,

- Adjustment of belt’s tension,

- Updating of the firmware of the shuttle and mount board

- Laboratory PE verification,

- Polar scope setting.

The report shows a PE amplitude of +/- 14 arcsec, but extremely regular. According to Pierro, this is a normal curve for this mount. Before adjustments, it was +/- 19 arcsec. He also said that "the maximum speed of the periodic error found is exceptionally low at around 6% of the sidereal rate."

Now I just have to use it !

Fred

Archived