Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds


Russe
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Not sure what ISO you used but the 100d works best at 400. Maybe keep the exposures the same but at ISO400?

To see an improvement, keep taking frames until you just can't bear it any longer!

Cheers

Ah, I was shooting at 1600. Thanks for the info, I’ll use 400 next time. 

Thanks, Josh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only my 2nd attempt at Perseus Double Cluster with that tube.
I had this in stock since last year but didn't put online. Now the more time passes the more I like it, and no good night since, so here it is.

2052172625_20190829doubleamasc14.thumb.jpeg.fac546672f0ae423bc7c29e529a38688.jpeg

Gear: Olympus E-PL6 with Skywatcher 130PDS and SWCC at 600mm/4.62 and dydimium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
Capture: 22 lights × 20s × 2000 ISO, master bias, at 1.28"/px
Site: deep country 26km from Limoges, France
Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone 🙂

My first attempt at processing with PixInsight, I have been quite relaxed with most of the processes there's probably still some room for improvement. 

M51, 4.5h of 120-180 sec subs @ ISO800. 

Eos 1000d, NEQ6 mount, autoguiding with asi120mm mini. 

M51_Night_2.thumb.png.3a4138502acc336bfd0abf0cec662b46.png

I'm amazed by how many small galaxies are lurking in the background, there's a huge cluster underneath the bright star at the lower left. 

John 

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I'm amazed by how many small galaxies are lurking in the background, there's a huge cluster underneath the bright star at the lower left.

Nice pic!

Try having a go with the ImageSolver (Script->ImageAnalysis) + CopyCoordinates (Script->Utilities) + AnnotateImage (Script->Render)... Enable the PGC catalog -  you'll be amazed at how many faint fuzzies show up.

(If you want you can also then go to Simbad: http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fid enter the PGC ref & often you'll find the radial velocity listed. Divide that by the Hubble Constant (68 - 70) to give the approx distance in MPc. Multiply the result by 3.26x10^6 to get the distance in light years)

Cheers
Ivor

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/04/2020 at 16:41, mAnKiNd said:

For anyone interested in fixing their star shapes (subject is Vega) from this to this:

1493653969_aperturemaskfix.thumb.jpeg.41f4a46a8416934e74ab60444098c1eb.jpeg

I designed a 3D print on tinkercad (.sti file attached)Skywatcher 130PDS Newtonian Primary Mirror Aperture Mask.stl, found a local 3D print shop to make it for me and applied to the mirror clips as such:

IMG_20200328_132955.thumb.jpg.6a3de9f418d62106b8eed7103f3c6c5c.jpg36876823_IMG_20200328_133018-Copy.thumb.jpg.bf176068ff4548b63102771071c8a6f7.jpgIMG_20200328_133048.thumb.jpg.624dc12be354baca03f724e0b2d3ae45.jpg

Inner diameter is 125mm, which is sufficient to cover the mirror edge and mirror clips. The idea is that the mask blocks the stray light from the edges, which causes the flares you see on bright stars and the ghost flares from the mirror clips blocking the edge flare.

Hope this helps :)

Minos 

Sorry to bother you @mAnKiNd but I want to print this.

The only question I have is that I have downloaded the STL file and checked the inside diameter and it is actually 121.5 mm not 125 mm as you mentioned. Can you just confirm is this correct at 121.5 mm ?

Steve

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning people. With this being all about the 130 PDS I thought this may be the best place to ask this question.

 

I'm using a 130pds on a belt modded exos 2 (eq5).

I'm thinking of starting to acquire the bits for guiding and wondered what length guide scope would suit best?

Am on a tight budget too so any links to cheap items would be greatly appreciated 😊.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brillant. 

That's a 50mm guide so I know what size i need.

Thanks for the links, had seen the T7 recently and wondered about that. 

 

 

 

Thanks.

Edited by g-rex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/06/2020 at 16:55, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Sorry to bother you @mAnKiNd but I want to print this.

The only question I have is that I have downloaded the STL file and checked the inside diameter and it is actually 121.5 mm not 125 mm as you mentioned. Can you just confirm is this correct at 121.5 mm ?

Steve

 

Hi Steve, sorry I just saw your message and also for any confusion. I just measured the spare one I had (I printed two at the same tine and don’t want to disassemble the installed one) with digital calipers and the inside diameter is 121.5mm - so I stand corrected, not sure where I got 125mm, maybe I made a typo and missed the number one and decimal, or maybe I’ve been abducted by aliens one too many times lol

In any case, at 121.5mm it completely mitigates flares, but feel free to experiment with larger inner diameters if you want to squeeze out as much aperture as possible :)

Thanks for pointing that out and clear skies everyone. 
 
Minos

C286BB63-8BD0-45C5-93F6-AC4D3E3C14BA.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/05/2020 at 10:31, TheCounter said:

I'll post a detailed report as soon as it's getting clear again here.

Spacing isnt a big deal thought. Not like with the MPCC.

Just wondering if you're still happy with this CC v the Baader ? Do you have any comparisons ?

I'm considering maybe moving from MPCC to this CC if it performs better.  

Edited by Spaced Out
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Just wondering if you're still happy with this CC v the Baader ? Do you have any comparisons ?

I'm considering maybe moving from MPCC to this CC if it performs better.  

Yes I'm really happy with the GPU, its way better than the MPCC. Let alone the fact, it's just too long to tilt, so no problem with that.

I'm not yet ready to post a in-depth review of it, as the weather is kinda "freaky" here in germany and it's not getting 100% dark thanks to summer. Should have it ready in a few weeks though.

But if you want a good CC, go straight for the GPU. I would never ever go back to the MPCC.

Btw. I'm really happy I bought a 3D printer. I always had to hook up my MiniPC (to control my whole setup, running on Windows 10) in a kind of strange way to my telescope. I now printed a case for it, that sits ontop of the telescope holding my guidescope :)

Old:

106944095_4100447526693875_882637430255536455_o.jpg.7eb3667e16f5ace9fd05d224c0252f6b.jpg

New:

106923369_4100447896693838_7068029572593674653_o.jpg.8dcea1d7e046cadd6d073084e7270a62.jpg
107094523_4100448216693806_280501468309827138_o.jpg.bc45c90493f701ddb0ed1fdfa5f1f42b.jpg

Edited by TheCounter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheCounter said:

Yes I'm really happy with the GPU, its way better than the MPCC. Let alone the fact, it's just too long to tilt, so no problem with that.
 

Thanks for this. In what way do you think it is better apart from the length/tilt thing ? Better looking stars ? Pinpoint stars ? Easier to space ?

Does it need a full length tube and do you have to wind it out quite a long way for focus ? I've got a heavy camera and FW on a stock SW focuser, I'm guessing the further it is wound out the less stable it might become.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Thanks for this. In what way do you think it is better apart from the length/tilt thing ? Better looking stars ? Pinpoint stars ? Easier to space ?

Does it need a full length tube and do you have to wind it out quite a long way for focus ? I've got a heavy camera and FW on a stock SW focuser, I'm guessing the further it is wound out the less stable it might become.

The stars in the corners look much better. With the MPCC, I always had a "softening" effect on them (coma and blur in direction of the corners), thats gone with the GPU.

Spacing is easy, I went with the recommendation of 53mm for my QHY294c.

And I need around 35mm backfocus, so you'll need to wind it out a bit more compared to the MPCC. But as it's so long, tilting shouldn't be a problem.

I did replace my focuser though, because the stock focuser was rubbish on my PDS. The new one is strong as hell, another league compaired to the SW focuser.

But to really be sure there won't be any tilt, I designed and printed a anti-tilt and rotation adapter. Thats 4 pieces, 2 hold onto the focuser itself, the other one pushes down the GPU and the third is for displaying camera rotation:

IMG_20200712_194401.thumb.jpg.29f8f4139384a3040dd25df7b6663212.jpg
IMG_20200712_194849.thumb.jpg.f3cbd874f142d87204e41640c2b4b282.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TheCounter said:

The stars in the corners look much better. With the MPCC, I always had a "softening" effect on them (coma and blur in direction of the corners), thats gone with the GPU.

Spacing is easy, I went with the recommendation of 53mm for my QHY294c.

And I need around 35mm backfocus, so you'll need to wind it out a bit more compared to the MPCC. But as it's so long, tilting shouldn't be a problem.

I did replace my focuser though, because the stock focuser was rubbish on my PDS. The new one is strong as hell, another league compaired to the SW focuser.

But to really be sure there won't be any tilt, I designed and printed a anti-tilt and rotation adapter. Thats 4 pieces, 2 hold onto the focuser itself, the other one pushes down the GPU and the third is for displaying camera rotation:

IMG_20200712_194401.thumb.jpg.29f8f4139384a3040dd25df7b6663212.jpg
IMG_20200712_194849.thumb.jpg.f3cbd874f142d87204e41640c2b4b282.jpg

That's impressive ! 👍

I wanted to replace my flaky SW focuser for a UNC V-power or Monorail focuser but I couldn't get an adaptor plate/base to fit it to the small OTA. All I could get off the shelf to fit was a Moonlite which was $$$$$. 

The stock SW focuser seems to be the weak point when you have a heavy mono camera, filter wheel and OAG attached.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope I'm not interrupting anything! Really loving this little gem of a scope.

Imaging - SW130PDS, Canon EOS 100D. 28x 3mins @IOS800
Guiding - SW 9x50 Finder, ASI224MC
Mount - HEQ5 Pro (Rowan Mod)
Other - SW 0.9x CC
Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop 2020

EastVeil_Annotated_CopyA.thumb.png.b0e83db872b38fa140177dc37f5e0996.png


Comments and criticism welcome!

Edited by JoshHopk
Pressed enter by accident!
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This scope has served me very well but ever since I've acquired my 1600MM + filter wheel, it's been causing me a lot of trouble regarding tilt and bad stars. 

I tried to get around this by purchasing this item which claims to reduce the tilt, which it does, only very marginally compared to just three thumb screws. In the description of the item, it stated that it can be rotated with a counter ring. Although this does work, it doesn't hold it tightly enough and causes even more tilt than there already was, and again, probably something to do with the weight as I was very easily able to move the camera up and down.

I have three options to amend my situation.

1. I can try to think of something else to completely reduce the tilt enough for it to be acceptable. I was thinking of a baader clicklock but I've heard it doesn't work on the stock SW focuser

2. I buy a Moonlite CR2 focuser. Only issue I'm not sure about is the added weight of the focuser + the camera and filter wheel means that I won't be able to balance properly due to the focuser hitting the tube rings of the scope

3. I upgrade and buy something like an Esprit 80ED.

Saying this, I really do like the 130PDS. It's fast, has wide aperture and a decent focal length for a dirt cheap price. I also appreciate the challenges that comes with a newtonian and the rewards it reaps if everything goes right.

The item I tried: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5417_Lacerta-Thread-Adapter-for-using--Baader-MPCC-with-Skywatcher-Newtonians.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have

19 minutes ago, matt_baker said:

This scope has served me very well but ever since I've acquired my 1600MM + filter wheel, it's been causing me a lot of trouble regarding tilt and bad stars. 

I tried to get around this by purchasing this item which claims to reduce the tilt, which it does, only very marginally compared to just three thumb screws. In the description of the item, it stated that it can be rotated with a counter ring. Although this does work, it doesn't hold it tightly enough and causes even more tilt than there already was, and again, probably something to do with the weight as I was very easily able to move the camera up and down.

I have three options to amend my situation.

1. I can try to think of something else to completely reduce the tilt enough for it to be acceptable. I was thinking of a baader clicklock but I've heard it doesn't work on the stock SW focuser

2. I buy a Moonlite CR2 focuser. Only issue I'm not sure about is the added weight of the focuser + the camera and filter wheel means that I won't be able to balance properly due to the focuser hitting the tube rings of the scope

3. I upgrade and buy something like an Esprit 80ED.

Saying this, I really do like the 130PDS. It's fast, has wide aperture and a decent focal length for a dirt cheap price. I also appreciate the challenges that comes with a newtonian and the rewards it reaps if everything goes right.

The item I tried: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5417_Lacerta-Thread-Adapter-for-using--Baader-MPCC-with-Skywatcher-Newtonians.html

Have you tried adjusting the focuser tilt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, matt_baker said:

This scope has served me very well

 

Sounds like you need to make adjustments to the focuser as @Stub Mandrel has mentioned.

Shame it has not performed that well. I have been meaning to buy one for months now.

Edited by spillage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cuivenion said:

Is there a guide to adjusting tilt in the 130pds focuser?

 

image.thumb.png.2b46ded54b0df93a0a08b4ea1dc6471d.png

There are three pairs of screws around the base of the focuser. Loosen the larger locking screw and tighten or loosen the small adjuster and re-tighten the locking screw.

If you do this with cheshire eyepiece you have eliminated tilt when it maintains collimation throughout the movement of the focuser. Tilt should show as the mirror centre spot drifting away from the middle of the view as you move the focuser over its whole range.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first real attempt at astrophotography. Bought the 130PDS a few weeks ago but still have issues with collimation. After reading some of the above i'm now wondering if i too have a tilt issue. At first i thought it was just the coma so bought a MPCC Mk3 which helped but not across the whole field. Ill have to investigate a possible tilt issue using the advice above. Anyway, this is the first go i had with it, this image has no CC and was taken with a A7III all mounted on a HEQ5 Pro. Image consists of 36x 120 second lights, 30x flats and 50x Bias processed with SIRIL and finished in PS.

 

IG:https://www.instagram.com/astro_jack6

 

 

Andromedapds.thumb.jpg.f95e143d51306af5d16fb9e7fb1b0ca4.jpg/

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2020 at 21:24, cuivenion said:

 measure the tilt.

You could use a depth micrometer or the tail end of digital calipers to measure how high the lip is compared to the surround. Obviously the paint finish will limit the accuracy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Similar Content

    • By MHaneferd
      Winter is coming and I struggled the past days with dew on my Skywatcher 120ED. I have tried to use a self made isolation dew-cap around it, but not good enough (still dew)
      I have browsed trough the forum and read about dew heaters vs. Dew shield, and figured out that I probably need a dew heater. The temperature here can range from minus 5 to minus 35 degrees celcius, but I dont think I’ll be using the scope when passing minus 20.
      My question is, which dew heating option would handle minus 10 to minus 20 degrees celcius for my scope? I am afraid that the temperature loss will make the strips not functioning well when passing minus 10 degrees, but I might be wrong?

      I guess my scooe is around 45cm circumference outside the tube.
      I am using 220V with adapters to everything else, so power is not an issue. 
    • By tjs247
      I have a Sky Watcher 150 PDS and a Canon 600D I use to take images.
      I'm  looking at purchasing a Sky-Watcher f4 Aplanatic Coma Corrector for my setup. It's as much as I can afford, but wondering if its a good choice?
      One concern i have is that my scope is an f5  which this is designed for f4 but has very good reviews. 
       
    • By tompato
      So I have had these Skywatcher Slow Motion Cables for all of 5 minutes and after the damn thing fell off the a second time in as many minutes I tightened it better and the screw sheared off. Fantastic. Any ideas? Drill it out I guess? Send angry correspondence to Skywatcher.
      Its now stuck to my Scopetech Mount Zero.

    • By Maideneer
      For the life of me, I cannot figure this out.  Got to take out my setup last night for only the second time as it's been cloudy for weeks and I've been trying in vain to align my Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount to no avail.  I'm using it in ALT-AZ mode for now, and I've probably researched every article and watched every Youtube vid I could find and still nothing is working...I feel like I'm stupidly dense or something because there is something just not clicking in the cranium.
      I thought I was supposed to point the dang thing north to start so that's what I did, err, I think anyway.  Am I pointing the wrong end north? See picture.  Also, I'm reading that the actual scope has to be mounted a certain way on the mount correct?  Which way would that be?  I've read all of this left/right stuff and those directionals mean nothing to me as it depends on someone's viewpoint.  When I aimed north to start, I attempted to align by directing SynScan to go to the Moon first, and that took it so far off course it wasn't even close, it was basically pointing at the ground.  I reset and tried again with another start (Vega I believe)...again, wasn't even in the realm of close.  I made sure my location settings were correct in the app so that wasn't the issue.
      Here's how I got something to "work".  I had it track to the moon and when it was essentially pointing at the ground and who knows how many degrees from my actual target, I picked the whole thing up, turned it around, manually aligned to the moon and then clicked OK on the app.  I felt like a ridiculous clown doing that but somehow it actually managed to do the trick but something tells me that isn't right on a long term basis.
      I'm thinking about getting SkySafari to control the mount but I should probably master the basics first.
      Tips/tricks appreciated.

    • By StargazerUK
      Hi All,
      I am currently researching which setup to purchase as my first proper scope (once they are back in stock).
      I thought I had settled on the Skywatcher Explorer 130ps AZ GTi but then I saw the Skywatcher Star Discovery 150i for just a little more money.
      Could anyone please tell me the difference between the 2 OTA's (other than the different aperture size), and also the difference between the 2 mounts?
      I realise that the AZ GTi can be modified to run in EQ mode whereas the Star Discovery can't.
      Can the Star Discovery view all the way to the zenith or does the OTA catch the mount or tripod before it gets there?
       
      Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.