Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements




Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

265 Excellent


About JohnSadlerAstro

  • Rank
    Proto Star
  • Birthday 29/07/01

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    Astronomy, Aircraft, Aviation Gaming, Physics, Technology, RC Aviation, and Model Making
  • Location
    Chippenham, Wiltshire

Recent Profile Visitors

2,869 profile views
  1. Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

    Great, thanks for the help . I will buy the adapter and try it out, hopefully it will save me the fortune in D cells which is being used right now! John
  2. Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

    Is there any chance of damage to the motors if there isn't enough current, or will they just not run properly? Adapter doesn't cost much at all, but I don't want to have to buy new motors coz it didn't quite work.
  3. Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

    Right. Is your EQ5 one of the smart ones with ASCOM? Mine is just the basic one with motors and autoguiding port on the handset, so it cant slew except at 16x sidereal ! John
  4. Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

    I guess the one in the link, with 1.5 A might not have enough power, though I'm pretty sure that the mount doesn't draw more than that, or the 4 D cells in the power pack that came with the motor kit would drain empty very fast. John
  5. Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

    Hi, Is there any part on the market that allows plugging the mains into the 6V DC port on an EQ5 motor handset? Has anyone seen anything like this? Would this kind of thing be safe to use with a mount? John
  6. Target for 1st Autoguide

    Thank you for the advice My first attempt went very well (except from when I accidently left the mount handset correction speed at 16x ), I got some high-quality subs very consistently. I managed to eliminate most of the backlash I was being plagued by at first, and there were no (major) issues so far! John
  7. Target for 1st Autoguide

    Hi, I am planning on my 1st autoguiding session tonight , I wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions. My setup is 9x50 guidescope, ASI guidecam, EQ5, 130-PDS, and EOS 1000d with CC and LP Filter. I have a good view of the north, west, south, and south-southeast. 1. Polar Alignment. Should I use PolarFinder and my polar scope, or should I use Sharp-Cap to do polar alignment using the guidescope and camera?1. Considering the moon and my limited view of the west , what is a good target I can attempt an imaging run on? 2. Things I should prioritize in testing and mastering, and the best way to do this? 3. Considering the moon and my limited view of the west , what is a good target I can attempt an imaging run on? (M31???) I have reasonably clear skies, with a bit of higher cloud forecast later (1-2am) on Clear Outside, BBC and satellite images are more optimistic though. (Streetlights go off at 12 midnight ) P.S. Tips on keeping awake until early hours also appreciated . Thanks for looking, John
  8. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    Lol. Not to worry though, I am ordering the part anyway, as it will be a stronger and more long-lasting attachment system. Thanks for telling me though--I am trying out the full system for the first time tonight! John
  9. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    Sounds good.
  10. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    Good, I will buy that then. My finder is a Skywatcher 9x50 so it should work fine Thanks for the help, folks. PS. though for a piece of metal that adapter certainly is expensive!!! John
  11. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    So, I can buy a section of this thread, or an adapter tat goes straight from the weird thread inside the finder to a thread I can screw my cam onto. I am probably best going for the latter as it is from UK, and will be sturdier. John EDIT: ebay search may help though. EDIT mk 2: it didn't.
  12. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    Hi, So is the thread inside an ASI cam a T-thread or M42? John
  13. Camera-Guidescope Adapter

    Hi, So I have just come back from a 2 week holiday, and Saturday night was my 1st opportunity to try out my new autoguiding setup. One of the first things I wanted to do was to make sure my ASI camera could focus in the 50mm finder-guider scope I had been sold on SGL. I soon realized that I am missing a part, but I'm not sure what exactly it is. The guy that sold me the 50mm finder (shout-out to @John78 ) generously put in an extra 3d printed adapter that converted the random sized screw thread inside the finder body into a "standard" size of thread. This thread is the same one as is found on the inside of the ASI cam, which allows attachment of a 150degree lens and 1.25" nose. From the manual, it looks like the thread is an M42, but I cant connect the cam to the finder with this because both are female. Is there any adapter ring that will allow me to connect these two together? (Preferably for FLO) It will need to be reasonably small, as the finder's objective can only screw forwards/backwards a small amount for focusing. Thanks for looking John
  14. So I'm in a Spaceship..........

    I'm guessing you wouldn't see it, for two reasons. (1). Brightness of stars within it. My logic would suggest that the contrast between stars and nebula would remain the same whatever distance you are from it. Therefore the stars would be very bright and eclipse the glow of the nebula. (2). Wavelength. There would probably be very little visible light, and even that would be difficult to see because of (1). John
  15. Autoguiding Upgrade Tips Needed

    Yeah, I think I will leave small FOV DSO imaging alone unless I get another small camera. I can always crop the DSLR's images, anyway. John